Re: [campernicholson] Anodes

  • simon allard
    Message 1 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
       Colin

      I know exactly what you mean as those charitable people at Darthaven Marina charged us I think £ 67 each a few weeks ago.
      Then discovered through a friend that a place in Brixam had some at £ 28 each from memory so we all took them back.
      The place is called Hubbard Engineering - 01803 853327 and your contact is either Eric or his son Sean. I am not sure if they still have them as most of the Nic 35's in the yard bought one each, as they were exactly the same.
      It's a very interesting and helpful place - good luck

      Simon
      Blue Nava 35 / 177

      colin_cd <colinj@...> wrote:
      Dear All,

      I am looking for an Anode for Trutz. the one we have is recessed in
      to the hull and is 15 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide. The
      chandlers here want £64 for one (which is daylight robbery). Does
      anyone know of a UK based supplier who will do one at a sensible
      price?

      As an alternative I am seriously thinking of making a mould and then
      fishing some old anodes out of the skip at the beginning of the
      season and melting down my own version. is there any reason why this
      would not work?

      I might just give it a try and do an article for the Nic Assoc
      newsletter. At a yearly saving of £60 that would buy a few
      drinks :)

      Is there anything we can do about the spam that is blighting our
      forum here?

      All the best

      Colin & Jo

      Trutz 35/225

    • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
      Message 2 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007

        Thanks Simon, I will give them a try.

        I get the impression that there has been a massive hike on the cost of anodes this year as I don’t remember them being this expensive a while back.

        Rgds

        Message 3 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
          Colin

          I make my own annodes by simply buying one of the large flat annodes on the
          market and cutting it to size. Generally, I can find one large enough to
          yield 2 annodes. Then I just drill the holes and use a hole bit to make a
          recess around each hole so that the washer and nut fit more or less flush.
          The cost of the large zinc alone is still pretty high though. I would
          estimate that two annodes cost a bit less than the price that you mentioned
          for one.

          The previous owner installed one of the electronic zinc saver devices on the
          boat which seems to help. The current annode has been on there almost 3
          years and there still is quite a bit left.

          Jim

          >From: "colin_cd" <colinj@...>
          >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [campernicholson] Anodes
          >Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:08:08 -0000
          >
          >Dear All,
          >
          >I am looking for an Anode for Trutz. the one we have is recessed in
          >to the hull and is 15 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide. The
          >chandlers here want �64 for one (which is daylight robbery). Does
          >anyone know of a UK based supplier who will do one at a sensible
          >price?
          >
          >As an alternative I am seriously thinking of making a mould and then
          >fishing some old anodes out of the skip at the beginning of the
          >season and melting down my own version. is there any reason why this
          >would not work?
          >
          >I might just give it a try and do an article for the Nic Assoc
          >newsletter. At a yearly saving of �60 that would buy a few
          >drinks :)
          >
          >Is there anything we can do about the spam that is blighting our
          >forum here?
          >
          >All the best
          >
          >Colin & Jo
          >
          >Trutz 35/225

        • simon allard

            Message 5 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
              Dear Colin,

              I have had the same problem with zinc anodes for Pacem (CN 39 ketch). I have had the yard cut the zinc bars from a plate of zinc that they got. They cut a half a dozen at a time and drill the holes and I keep the spares on board so we do not have to do it each year.

              Ansley Sawyer
              SV Pacem

            • William E. Roesner
              Message 6 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
                Gentlemen.
                RE Anodes, If you look carefully at the 'original' CN anodes there is
                cast into them, a secondary slender metal bar (aluminum ?) almost the
                same length, which lies on the interior (hull) side of the anode. Why-
                to what purpose do you suppose this is there? To prevent the interior
                of the anode from eroding prematurely?
                Bill
                CN31-113
                Blueprint

                Message 7 of 17 , Feb 28, 2007
                  I glassed in the recess and did away with the hull anode, then put two zincs
                  on the propshaft and called it quits. Never did notice much difference in
                  the rate of loss of the shaft zincs vs when the hull zinc was present...

                  I make my own annodes by simply buying one of the large flat annodes on the
                  market and cutting it to size. Generally, I can find one large enough to
                  yield 2 annodes. Then I just drill the holes and use a hole bit to make a
                  recess around each hole so that the washer and nut fit more or less flush.
                  The cost of the large zinc alone is still pretty high though. I would
                  estimate that two annodes cost a bit less than the price that you mentioned
                  for one.

                  The previous owner installed one of the electronic zinc saver devices on the

                  boat which seems to help. The current annode has been on there almost 3
                  years and there still is quite a bit left.

                  Jim

                  >From: "colin_cd" <colinj@...>
                  >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                  >Subject: [campernicholson] Anodes
                  >Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 11:08:08 -0000
                  >
                  >Dear All,
                  >
                  >I am looking for an Anode for Trutz. the one we have is recessed in to
                  >the hull and is 15 inches long by 1 3/4 inches wide. The chandlers
                  >here want £64 for one (which is daylight robbery). Does anyone know of
                  >a UK based supplier who will do one at a sensible price?
                  >
                  >As an alternative I am seriously thinking of making a mould and then
                  >fishing some old anodes out of the skip at the beginning of the season
                  >and melting down my own version. is there any reason why this would
                  >not work?
                  >
                  >I might just give it a try and do an article for the Nic Assoc
                  >newsletter. At a yearly saving of £60 that would buy a few drinks :)
                  >
                  >Is there anything we can do about the spam that is blighting our forum
                  >here?
                  >
                  >All the best
                  >
                  >Colin & Jo
                  >
                  >Trutz 35/225

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  --
                  BEGIN-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS

                  Spam:
                  http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=s&i=71328022&m=5653121140ea
                  Not spam:
                  http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=n&i=71328022&m=5653121140ea
                  Forget vote:
                  http://mailshield.cosmoweb.net/b.php?c=f&i=71328022&m=5653121140ea
                  END-ANTISPAM-VOTING-LINKS
                • IAN POSTLETHWAITE

                    Message 9 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
                      Well, here is my two-pennyworth: the rectangular recessed anode is
                      probably coded ZD42/15"/2H from M.G.Duff, Chichester (01243 533336),
                      and my experience of buying a tiny ZGuard anode a few weeks ago
                      suggests that prices have indeed shot up.

                      I have in fact made an anode myself: half-teardrop shape. It was a
                      bigger job than I expected, and I relied on expert colleagues to do
                      the actual casting. The volume of molten metal was quite impressive:
                      I would not like to make a slip with all that glowing stuff slopping
                      around. The result was reasonably good, but not as neat as a bought
                      one. I bolted a separate steel strip to the flat side, so that the
                      zinc rests outside the moulded hull recess and the strip (with holes
                      near its ends for the bolts) occupies some of the space inside the
                      recess. The whole thing weighed over 10lb when new. So far, it has
                      done two seasons. Last spring it was a bit chewed (obviously a good
                      thing) but had plenty of life in it. In April I will find out
                      whether it will do a third year. The only slight puzzle last spring
                      was that the tiny secondary anode on the rudder heel fitting was much
                      more thoroughly eaten away than I am used to seeing. Perhaps this
                      suggests that the main one is not as efficient as it could be. But
                      over the years I have found very considerable variation in rates of
                      consumption, so I am not sure.

                      Stephen Lowden Cn35/190 Malfi
                    • Jeffrey Moorman
                      Message 10 of 17 , Mar 1, 2007
                        And now for something completely different... On La Boheme I simply filled and faired that socket. I now rely on a "guppy" zinc for additional protection when I am in a strange marina. The saildrive zincs provide adequate for that unit. I did replace all of the thru hull fittings with Marelon during the refit, so, the galvanic potential is a bit lower.

                        Jeff Moorman

                        Nic 35 La Boheme

                      • pwalzer

                          Message 12 of 17 , Mar 4, 2007
                            P. Walzer,

                            Do you use the plate anode without modification?  Where do you buy it and do you have a part number?

                            Thanks

                            Ansley Sawyer
                            SV Pacem

                          • Peter Walzer
                            Message 13 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007

                              Ansley – I use the plate without modification. The hull bolts align in the slot on the zinc. It is in West catalog as CMDIVERZ and model # 390583 and listed for $50.00 (2006 catalog, with picture). I notice also that Defenders catalog has an aluminum one for $30.00 but I do not know the advantages or disadvantages of Aluminum vs Zinc. The previous owner of my boat sent away to England and bought the original zinc strip (about 2 inches by 12 inches by ½ inch). This was several years ago and the cost was about $60.00 plus shipping from England .

                              Peter

                              Message 14 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
                                aluminum anodes are primarily for fresh water use.

                                Message 15 of 17 , Mar 6, 2007
                                  Peter,

                                  Thanks for the info on the zinc plate. I will look into it.

                                  Ansley Sawyer
                                  SV Pacem