Running Rigging

  • Musik4u@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 12, 1999
      I am looking at replacing the running rigging on Alegria within the next year
      and also would like to make some modifications at the same time. Currently
      all halyards are at the mast and the mainsail reefing winches and lines are
      located on the forward part of the boom. I would like to bring the main
      halyard, mainsail sail reefing lines and the topping lift aft along starboard
      side of the main hatch and would probably leave the jib halyard (since it's
      on a roller furler) spinnaker halyards/topping lift and the storm staysail
      halyard, outhaul etc. at the mast.

      I would be interested in how others have their running rigging set up and/or
      thoughts on the ideal set up. If others have the lines running aft to the
      cockpit, how did you deal with the coaming i.e. do the lines go over it or
      through it? Also, how is the dodger fitted if you have one?

      Thanks

      Jim Teipen
      S/V Alegria
      CN 35
    • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 12, 1999
        Jim,
        If you haven't got a dodger fitted at present it is a simple matter of a few
        bolts to open up that coaming/hatch garage. It is a fairly elaborate little
        item for the avoidance of leaks. We looked at it closely and having been
        out in a blow a couple of times and having had geysers through the smallest
        spaces through that area,(and every stitch in the dodger!) we determined
        that it was probably not a very desireable option. Additionally, the added
        friction in the system would probably require a fairly large dedicated winch
        under the dodger just to make up the additional strain. We decided we were
        better off retaining our foredeck skills !
        The dodger we have, which seems to be original type (see Photo of Vortex on
        the OneList website Shared files) is attached by a track and boltrope along
        the leading edge. The foldable frame has a single attachment point on the
        coaming with an aft tie-down. It works nicely. We also added a sailing
        bimini over the helm since the Skipper is worried about sunburn on the top
        of his head [which is losing coverage] This is also on a folding frame with
        easily removeable canvaswork.

        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 12, 1999
          I saw a Nic35 in Florida rigged with the lines to the cockpit. He had the
          line passing through ways in the cabintop waterbreak( the curved rise that
          the dodger slides into. He also had midboom sheeting. Me, I'm leaving
          things alone.

        • Musik4u@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 13, 1999
            Denece, Dennis

            Thanks for the reply. We do have a dodger which I think has the same set up
            that you mentioned Denece. At some point, I want to redo at least the canvas
            but want to decide on the running rigging first. My thoughts are to bring the
            lines back with fairleads to the starboard side of the main hatch. We have a
            liferaft in a cannister mounted on the hatch turtle but I don't think it will
            be a factor. Then maybe go through individual races installed through the
            coaming to clutches mounted on the coach roof. Then a single winch could be
            used for all lines. Most of the boats that I've seen around here with this
            setup don't have the coaming to deal with and the lines pass through notches
            in lower edge of the dodger if there is one.

            What makes it attractive for us is that we noticed on our cruise last fall
            that the cockpit (and us) would stay amazingly dry even in rough seas and that
            generally the only time we would get soaked was when going forward to furl,
            unfurl, reef etc. With a year around sea temperature in the low 50's, getting
            hit with these seas is not fun no matter what gear you happen to be wearing at
            the time. Also, there are the obvious safety advantages of being able to
            remain in the cockpit most of the time.

            Jim Teipen
            SV Alegria
            Camper Nicholson 35
          • Simon Rayfield
            Message 5 of 5 , Sep 3, 2005
              Hi all

              Here's hoping that none of you in the US have suffered from the recent hurricane disaster, and if you have - may I offer best wishes for a speedy return to normal................it has evolved into a real human tragedy on UK TV.

              My next request seems a bit mundane in proportion...................but, I am endeavouring to set my 35 up for singlehanding and would welcome any pics or suggestions.  I am particularly interested in bringing halyards, reefing lines, etc  back into the cockpit with a winch and set of jam cleats on the starboard side of the main sliding hatchway.  These could be run through a 'tailored' slot in the spray hood but I would prefer a more watertight option run in tubes through the fibre glass of the cockpit structure immediately under the sprayhood bottom channel.

              Pics, etc would be appreciated if anyone has this set-up - I already have roller reefing so this isn't a problem.

              Also has anyone successfully set up a mini-boom for a staysail rigged on the inner forestay, and if so, would you recommend it?

              Simon
              Dediou #42