Re: [campernicholson] cockpit drains

  • BarryR8195@aol.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
      Hi---The later NIc 35's---those built in the 80's had larger cockpit drains out through the transom.  ---Barry Roberts
    • John Gall
      Message 2 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
        Barry:

        Or, anyone else.  Would it be possible to put a picture of the configurationon the web.  I've the earlier setup - which I hate: the through hulls you can never close !

        But the boat was also rigged with auxiliary drains on the face of the stern locker that sit up about 2 inches off the cockpit sole aft of the wheel , and drain out the transom.  I always thought that the outlet in the transom was too high for the cockpit drains.  But now I'll check again.

        john
        Skye - cn35/78
        Hi---The later NIc 35's---those built in the 80's had larger cockpit drains out through the transom.  ---Barry Roberts
        Message 3 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
          The stern locker drains are how it is done in the later boats.  They are there to drain large amounts of water.  they have a flap on the transom to keep a following sea from draining into the cockpit.

          Dennis Gibbons
          Dark Lady

            Message 5 of 13 , Oct 29, 2006
              We added transom cockpit drains to Passport several years ago.  We used 1 1/2" plastic (nylon, I think) fittings and short lengths of flexible hose.  The openings into the cockpit are perhaps three fourth of an inch above the cockpit sole and the drains in the transom are slightly lower and have flaps to prevent water from coming in.  The addition was fairly simple and all the parts were readily available.  It's a bit intimidating drilling those large holes in the hull though.

              Spiders love to fill them with webs, and periodically we have to flush them using a hose at full flow, otherwise they seem to work fine.

              John Larson
              Passport, CN 35-85
            • JIM TEIPEN
              Message 6 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                It's interesting to read how many different drain configurations have been
                used or added over the years. We have two 2 inch drains located just
                forward of the aft lazarette that drain through hoses running to large
                stopcocks located immediately aft of the bulkhead between the lazarettes and
                cabin. The hoses crisscross aft of the rudder post i.e. port drain crosses
                over to the starboard stopcock etc.

                Jim
                S/V Alegria
                CN 35 -68

                >From: "wtrevarthen" <wstrev@...>
                >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: [campernicholson] cockpit drains
                >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:45:58 -0000
                >
                > Since I'm haveing the decks repaired and painted I'd like to deal
                >drains with the cockpit drains before its finished. I have read where
                >some boats have run the drains directly to the transom. My question is
                >where do the drain leave the cockpit and the transom? Is it possable to
                >eliminate the existing drains? Since the cockpit is very large I think
                >the drain compacity should be increased. At present my drains are
                >1.25ins. This is very small. Does anyone have any insight into this
                >problem?
                > THANK YOU
                >Winston
                >C/N 35-49

              • Denece Vincent
                Message 7 of 13 , Oct 30, 2006
                  Ours are 1 1/2 inchers. The info we got from CN re adding after drains was to go straight back from cockpit via lazarette but would be below waterline when underway requiring  flapper valves. We gave it up as a bad idea.
                  FWIW we have been out in some really stinky weather and never came close to overwhelming our two drains. Most water seems to stay outside the cockpit due to the large coaming.

                  YMMV

                  Sent: 10/30/2006 12:48:54 PM

                  It's interesting to read how many different drain configurations have been
                  used or added over the years. We have two 2 inch drains located just
                  forward of the aft lazarette that drain through hoses running to large
                  stopcocks located immediately aft of the bulkhead between the lazarettes and
                  cabin. The hoses crisscross aft of the rudder post i.e. port drain crosses
                  over to the starboard stopcock etc.

                  Jim
                  S/V Alegria
                  CN 35 -68

                  >From: "wtrevarthen" <wstrev@...>
                  >To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                  >Subject: [campernicholson] cockpit drains
                  >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:45:58 -0000
                  >
                  > Since I'm haveing the decks repaired and painted I'd like to deal
                  >drains with the cockpit drains before its finished. I have read where
                  >some boats have run the drains directly to the transom. My question is
                  >where do the drain leave the cockpit and the transom? Is it possable to
                  >eliminate the existing drains? Since the cockpit is very large I think
                  >the drain compacity should be increased. At present my drains are
                  >1.25ins. This is very small. Does anyone have any insight into this
                  >problem?
                  > THANK YOU
                  >Winston
                  >C/N 35-49

                • Albert G. Boyce
                  Message 8 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006

                    I looked at this as well and in order for the drain lines to run down hill to the transom and still be above the water line when exiting the transom, the drain holes in the lazarette woud need to be about 10 - 12 inches above the cockpit sole.

                    Al Boyce

                    Sent: 10/30/2006 12:48:54 PM

                    It's interesting to read how many different drain configurations have been
                    used or added over the years. We have two 2 inch drains located just
                    forward of the aft lazarette that drain through hoses running to large
                    stopcocks located immediately aft of the bulkhead between the lazarettes and
                    cabin. The hoses crisscross aft of the rudder post i.e. port drain crosses
                    over to the starboard stopcock etc.

                    Jim
                    S/V Alegria
                    CN 35 -68

                    >From: "wtrevarthen" <wstrev@...>
                    >To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                    >Subject: [campernicholson] cockpit drains
                    >Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:45:58 -0000
                    >
                    > Since I'm haveing the decks repaired and painted I'd like to deal
                    >drains with the cockpit drains before its finished. I have read where
                    >some boats have run the drains directly to the transom. My question is
                    >where do the drain leave the cockpit and the transom? Is it possable to
                    >eliminate the existing drains? Since the cockpit is very large I think
                    >the drain compacity should be increased. At present my drains are
                    >1.25ins. This is very small. Does anyone have any insight into this
                    >problem?
                    > THANK YOU
                    >Winston
                    >C/N 35-49

                  • JOHN LARSON
                    Message 9 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                      Al

                      I wonder if there's a difference in the height of the cockpit floor on different ages of Nic 35s.  The drains we installed were based on a drawing done by Camper and Nicholson which was created to correct the problem of insufficient cockpit drainage.  The drains slope down slightly between the cockpit and the transom and have never even been close to the water in any conditions we've sailed in.

                      John Larson
                    • Katie and Simon
                      Message 10 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                        This is an interesting discussion! We have the two 1.5 inch drains in the
                        cockpit floor which go to Blake's seacocks in the engine space. And we have
                        two 1.25 inch drains which run from the back of the cockpit (almost at floor
                        level) to the transom. These two have always had bungs in them at the
                        cockpit end.

                        My understanding has always been that the two transom drains are for
                        draining rainwater from the cockpit when the boat is unattended (remember
                        these are British boats - it rains a lot!). In theory the main cockpit drain
                        seacocks should be closed when the boat is unattended, although poor access
                        does not make this easy in practice. The bungs are kept in the transom
                        drains when the boat is in use, to prevent water coming in when the boat is
                        under way.

                        That's how we use the drains, and although I agree that the cockpit drains
                        seem undersized, we've never had a problem.

                        Simon
                        Gin Rummy CN35-202

                        I wonder if there's a difference in the height of the cockpit floor on
                        different ages of Nic 35s. The drains we installed were based on a drawing
                        done by Camper and Nicholson which was created to correct the problem of
                        insufficient cockpit drainage. The drains slope down slightly between the
                        cockpit and the transom and have never even been close to the water in any
                        conditions we've sailed in.

                        John Larson

                        The new Windows Live Toolbar helps you guard against viruses
                        http://toolbar.live.com/?mkt=en-gb
                        Message 11 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                          Message
                          Errr yes, those pesky flapper valves can make for a wet cockpit when the flap tears off.  Never did find much use for them, except to keep the cat amused as water slowly trickled in.

                          Luna Azul's in-floor drains were the standard 1-1/2" version, with hoses lead to seacocks in the engine room.

                          Sent: 10/30/2006 12:48:54 PM

                          Message 12 of 13 , Oct 31, 2006
                            Message
                            Never ever had any water come back up the floor drains, despite some rather hard sailing!

                            Perhaps the issue of "cockpit floor height" really depends how heavily loaded your vessel is, compared to others.   Luna Azul gave up a good 6" of waterline height when she was loaded out in cruising trim.  Her draft was close to 6', and water really poured in the lazarette drains whenever the flappers got jammed while we were motoring or hard on the wind.