Good Old Boat

  • Jeff Moorman
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 2, 2006
      Hi Gang,

      Anyone racing this weekend in the Good Old Boat Regatta?

      Jeff Moorman
      La Boheme
    • tom1us2001
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
        Hi Jeff,

        Just noticed the photo's you posted. Boat looks great. What size motor
        did you put in? How is the responce from the saildrive? Install looks
        nice and clean. Did you add a rub rail above the cove stripe or is
        that another stripe?

        Tom
        CN35 "Dream"

        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Moorman" <jeff@...> wrote:

        > Hi Gang,
        >
        > Anyone racing this weekend in the Good Old Boat Regatta?
        >
        > Jeff Moorman
        > La Boheme

      • Jeffrey Moorman
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 4, 2006
          Hi Tom,  I installed the MD2030, it developes 30hp...seems to do just fine, I have seen 6.5 knots.  That is a new one piece rubrail.  After the new caprail went on, I didn't want any dings.  One thing about the new engine is the weight and trim difference.  The Perkins w/hydraulic drive weighed about 250# more than the Volvo.  I now have to concentrate on loading the after end of the hull more than before.  I'll load some interior shots soon.

          Jeff
          LaBoheme

          Just noticed the photo's you posted. Boat looks great. What size motor
          did you put in? How is the responce from the saildrive? Install looks
          nice and clean. Did you add a rub rail above the cove stripe or is
          that another stripe?

          Tom
          CN35 "Dream"

          --- In campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com, "Jeff Moorman" <jeff@...> wrote:

          > Hi Gang,
          >
          > Anyone racing this weekend in the Good Old Boat Regatta?
          >
          > Jeff Moorman
          > La Boheme

        • JOHN LARSON
          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 9, 2006
            Jeff, could you give us some details of the rub rail you added.  We're thinking of doing the same thing to Passport prior to painting the topsides.

            On another subject, we replaced the vinyl headliner in Passport several years ago.  We used 1/8" marine plywood painted white and trimmed with teak strips.  One advantage of the painted plywood is that modifications are easy and even patching holes no longer needed is not difficult.

            John Larson
            CN 35 Number 85, Passport
          • Jeffrey Moorman
            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 10, 2006
              Hi John,

              The rail is a one-piece extruded high density poly...Phipps Boat Works installed it (410)867-4230.

              Jeff

            • Peter Walzer
              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 12, 2006

                John – I used a  rub rail from VETUS on my CN39. Installation was easier than I thought it would be.

                Peter

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 12, 2006
                  John,

                  I also installed a rub rail last year when I had the topsides painted. The rail was installed after the paint job. I think it looks cleaner that way (no tape makes). The rail is made from teak with a stainless rail on the outside. The teak rail is 5200'd and screwed to the boat then the stainless is screwed to the teak. I opted to screw it to the boat and not bolt it. That way if I were to by chance land hard on the rub rail in a storm (hurricane) or other reason the screws would tear out instead of a bolts pulling out and leaving a hole in the side. basically I think it would be easier to repair. There is a small groove cut in the underside of the rail so any water running down over the rail will drip off the rail instead of run down the topside. Less streaks on the topsides that way. I'll try and find some photo's to upload the the photo section.

                  Hope this info helps with your plans,

                  Tom Costello
                  s/v Dream CN35-199

                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 14, 2006
                    Thanks all, for the rub rail info.  Tom, if you do have a photo or two, we would love to see them.

                    The topsides on Passport have been scratched  and bumped on many occasions, in spite of our trying to be as careful as possible, and the thought of having the boat painted at great cost and then banging it up docking, is not pleasant.

                    John Larson
                    s/v Passport CN 35-85