RE: [campernicholson] autopilot choices -Nic 35

    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 27, 2006
      Message
      John,

      Viewed from my occupation as a boatyard electrician, I'd be hard pressed to say any one brand or model was any more or less reliable than any other.  97% of vessels with a below decks pilot coming to our yard have either Raymarine or Simrad/Robertson.  Neither has any repetitive reliability issues that I'm aware of, although there's the occasional fault due to lightening strikes and leaky hydraulics, but not much else.

      From a personal perspective, we never had any issues with our Raymarine 150G system and its 15yr old Autohelm type 1 ram during our 12,000nm and 3 years of cruising on Luna Azul.

      Wheel pilots of course come in a different category... you get what you pay for!

      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 16, 2006
        John

        I finished installing a Raymarine S1G model below decks pilot this past weekend.  I only have a few hours on it, but I am very pleased with the performance.  I sailed for an hour so off the wind in about 10 knots and the pilot steered a very straight course.  I imagine in stronger winds and bigger waves off the wind the pilot's performance might be more challenged.  Installation is pretty straightforward.  The customer service leaves something to be desired.  They clearly would prefer that you email your questions rather than call, but not having email on Discovery, I tried calling a couple of times during the calibration process and had trouble getting someone on the phone.  Later they told me that was because several of their technicians were at the Annapolis boat show!  The original compass was defective, but I tracked the Raymarine guys down at the boat show and they arranged for the West Marine store in Annapolis to give me a replacement.  All in all, it seems like a good product.  I plan on putting a hundred miles or so on it this weekend and will let you know if my opinion changes.

        Al
        Viewed from my occupation as a boatyard electrician, I'd be hard pressed to say any one brand or model was any more or less reliable than any other.  97% of vessels with a below decks pilot coming to our yard have either Raymarine or Simrad/Robertson.  Neither has any repetitive reliability issues that I'm aware of, although there's the occasional fault due to lightening strikes and leaky hydraulics, but not much else.

        From a personal perspective, we never had any issues with our Raymarine 150G system and its 15yr old Autohelm type 1 ram during our 12,000nm and 3 years of cruising on Luna Azul.

        Wheel pilots of course come in a different category... you get what you pay for!

        Are you aware of  differences in reliability in the various makes of below decks autopilots?  We saw the article in cruising world magazine and there it looked as though none of them were overly reliable.

        John Larson

      • JOHN LARSON
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 17, 2006
          Thanks for the info Al.  Did you buy an arm from Edson to attach the ram to the rudder shaft?  Did your Nic 35 have a below decks auto pilot previously?  Let us know how your latest sail went also.

          John
        • Albert_Boyce@comcast.net
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 18, 2006
            John

            There had previously been an autopilot installed, but it had been set up to use a rotary drive.  So that part of the installation was pretty easy.  I just used a Raymarine rotary drive instead of  removing everything and going with a linear drive.  While not ideal, I chose the path of least resistance and it works fine.  I'll let you know what I think after using it some more.

            Al
            From: "JOHN LARSON" <jsl-sll@...>