Re:Nicholson Rendezvous Maine- 2007

  • William E. Roesner
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
      Scott, Steve, Ansley, John, Spence, Et Al,
      Has anything been decided re a Nicholson Rendezvous next season.
      If not it occurs to me that we should begin a serious planning
      discussion so that we might set things in motion and establish a date
      and venue. There are at least 4 boats in relative close proximity to
      one another in Maine, Blythe Spirit, October, Penelope and my own
      Blueprint. The first three are proximal to Falmouth (Casco Bay) Maine
      and my own will be in Robinhood (I think). Ansley is in Rockland, I
      believe, and Spence is as of the moment still a potential owner, but
      located in Maine. Right?
      Robinhood is reasonably well equipped to handle groups our size and
      larger (they put up large Cape Dory get togethers periodically) and
      they have two potential restaurant facilities ( the Osprey a high end
      berger joint these days- right at the marina, and the Robinhood Meeting
      House, a renown restaurant enjoying fine reviews in the New York Times-
      among others- which is a quarter mile walk down the road) We could
      maybe do lunch at the Osprey and dinner at the Meeting House.
      The date should be set so as not to interfere with anyone's seasons
      vacation cruising plans, which usually happen in late July or August.
      It would be nice to have a date that anyone from 'away' could perhaps
      make at the start of a cruise in Maine, and thus perhaps make the
      Rendezvous both a goal and an incentive to visit/ vacation/cruise
      Maine. This suggests to me a weekend in middle July. ??? and a venue
      west on the coast such that it can be the starting point for a cruise
      down east, without having to double back to participate. Robinhood is
      further recommended, it seems to me in that it has a reasonably
      hazardous free access in fog (up the Sheepscot River from Seguin
      Island) for those from away.
      Once a date is established a notice could be posted on the Nicholson 31
      website ( I'd be happy to do that) perhaps with potential attendees
      noticed as commitments are received (at least the 31's), and maybe the
      same could be done with the Nic 32 Association (Scott, are you a
      member?) With enough time and a firm date we might be able to generate
      a little enthusiasm on the part of owners from the south or even from
      the UK if any are making plans for a visit this far north next year. (I
      may be dreaming given the horror stories I've been hearing about
      foreign flags visiting our great nation in the wake of Homeland
      Security regulations/ visas etc. lately.)
      Notices could be sent to various sailing magazines to try and comb up
      various unknown owners/ boats, who might be interested as well. Jeremy
      Lines can be contacted/ invited or at least be consulted re possible
      attendees. Raymond Wall the designer of most of our boats, and honorary
      president of the Nic 31 Association, who lives in British Columbia, can
      be extended an invitation. Whether we could get him here is another
      question. ( And if he did accept maybe we should open the doors to all
      the CS Yacht owners whose boats he designed?- This could get out of
      hand.)
      Let me know what you are thinking, if you are onboard, whether you
      might know of other owners, etc. etc.
      Lets get this thing going.
      Cheers,
      Bill
      SV Blueprint Nic 31-113

      On Aug 15, 2006, at 7:32 AM, Scott Thurston wrote:

      > I'm sure we can find you a berth aboard something...
      >
      > Scott
      > Penelope

    • Greg Pusch
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
        Bill,

        I'd like to participate since I'm planning a Maine cruise next summer for sure.  I keep the boat in Marion and had planned to sail first to Tenants Hbr and cruise Penobscott Bay, but I'm flexible on dates and location.

        Best,

        Greg
        Arete 35-222

      • William E. Roesner
        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 5, 2006
          Greg,
          Good to hear from you. Tenants is but 5 or 6 interesting hours further
          east on the coast from Robinhood, so it would only slow you down a day
          or two if held at Robinhood, which is maybe 5 miles up the Sheepscot
          River from the light at Seguin Island, a primary point of navigation in
          coming to Maine from Cape Cod.
          Tenants itself is also a potential venue, with the dockside facility at
          Cod End for fish and chips and the Dining room at the East Wind Inn for
          more formal dining. (we might need reservations there though). How much
          time will you have? Had you planned on bypassing Boothbay and Muscongus
          Bay? The passage thru the Townsend Gut into Boothbay from Robinhood is
          gorgeous, as are the waters of Boothbay. The inside passage thru
          Muscongus Bay is not uninteresting either, with lovely potential stops
          at Harbor Island and /or Port Clyde. Check your charts, and write with
          any questions or suggestions.
          Cheers,
          Bill
          Blueprint CN31-113

        • Ansley W. Sawyer
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
            CN owners of the world,

            I think that a get together would be great and July in Maine is about as good as it gets. My only thought would be that maybe we do not need to be in a developed (expensive) harbor. Robinhood is a nice place but everyone would have to rent moorings. Also July is prime time and the marina coves are usually full.

            How about a wide open cove where everyone can anchor and just visit. The Seven Seas Cruising Club meets in a cove on the north end of Gilkey Harbor in Islesboro.

            How about some place like Maple Juice Cove on the St. George River where we could anchor a hundred boats for nothing. The down side of this idea is that there are no services nor restaurants there.

            Just an idea. It doesn't matter to me. I will go anywhere if we have not taken a cruise to Nova Scotia at that time.

            Fair Winds,

            Ansley Sawyer
            SV Pacem
          • Scott Thurston
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
              I think that Casco Bay would be an easier venue: Plenty of room, plenty of services, interesting sailing, and close proximity to the Portland Jetport for crew exchanges. Restaurants abound in the city, there's is some spectacular scenery on and off the water, and it would be a gateway for those either headed or returning from Downeast...

              Scott

              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                We're thinking of heading for Maine next summer so would be interested in getting together with other people whose IQ is so high they also bought a CN 35.  Passport, our Nic 35 is now at Jennings Boatyard in Virginia and our plan is to leave it somewhere in Maine for the winter of 2007/2008.  Any advice on great places to dry store a boat for the winter would be welcome.

                John and Sandy Larson
              • john.gall@verizon.net
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                  Anybody care to start a poll using the poll capability of Yahoo ?

                  I'm generally in agreement with Ansley - rather anchor than pay for a mooring. My places, starting west to east to meet this prescription would be:

                  In Casco Bay:
                  Quahog Bay
                  Harpswell Harbor
                  The Basin

                  Mid Coast
                  Seal Cove up river from Pemaquid

                  Muscongus Bay
                  Maple Juice Cove

                  Penobscot Bay
                  Long Cove

                  and any other Ansley would suggest in that area.

                  But I'll go most anywhere. Except Demillo's !

                  For those interested in reading about any of these places, get A Cruising Guide to the Maine Coast. Many winter hours spent dreaming !

                  You can see some, but not all of the above from the guide on line at http://www.coastguides.com/harbors/harbors.html

                  SKYE CN35/78
                • Scott Thurston
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                    Plenty of professionals on the coast. It all depends on where you want to be based out of/ end up/ start from the foloowing year. i know the folks around the western region fairly well, but also have some contacts in Bar Harbor. When your plans become more developed, we can likely help (the lately famous Robinhood is ceratinly a good choice...)

                    Scott
                    Penelope
                    CN 32
                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                      I do have a rather tenuous aquaintance with the man who Portland yacht
                      Services in Portland, near the Eastern Prom. Phin is a circumnavigator,
                      friend of the Pardey's, and generally a good guy who, depending on when we
                      pull all this together, might be able to give us assistance and a place to
                      base from...

                      Scott

                      Penelope
                      CN 32

                      > Anybody care to start a poll using the poll capability of Yahoo ?
                      >
                      > I'm generally in agreement with Ansley - rather anchor than pay for a
                      > mooring. My places, starting west to east to meet this prescription would
                      > be:
                      >
                      > In Casco Bay:
                      > Quahog Bay
                      > Harpswell Harbor
                      > The Basin
                      >
                      > Mid Coast
                      > Seal Cove up river from Pemaquid
                      >
                      > Muscongus Bay
                      > Maple Juice Cove
                      >
                      > Penobscot Bay
                      > Long Cove
                      >
                      > and any other Ansley would suggest in that area.
                      >
                      > But I'll go most anywhere. Except Demillo's !
                      >
                      > For those interested in reading about any of these places, get A Cruising
                      > Guide to the Maine Coast. Many winter hours spent dreaming !
                      >
                      > You can see some, but not all of the above from the guide on line at
                      > http://www.coastguides.com/harbors/harbors.html

                      > SKYE CN35/78
                      >

                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                    • Scott Thurston
                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                        Maybe if we could get a run-down on where interested folks are coming from,
                        it would make it easier to make a decision. Put your name and address after
                        mine, and send it along...

                        Scott Thurston CN 32 Penelope Homeport: Falmouth, Maine
                      • Greg Pusch
                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 6, 2006
                          Thanks Bill.  I cruised the Boothbay and Penobscot Bay area for a few summers several years ago in my previous boat (but still feel like I've barely scratched the surface).  Have wonderful memories of lobster and cold beer with my father at Cod End after a long trip up iform Cape Cod Canal in my 26 footer.

                          I'm glad to see all of the interest in this rendezvous.  I'd vote for having one of our Maine bretheren pick an good spot where we can all anchor comfortably somewhere along the mid-coast, but I'm happy with whatever you all decide.