Rudder update

  • Katie and Simon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 7, 2006
      Hi Tom,

      Some further news on the rudder installation. You are right - the lower
      pintle should be fixed in the rudder, and rotate in the bottom casting. We
      hauled Gin Rummy a few days ago, and since the bottom rudder bearing has
      been a bit loose and knocking a bit, I decided to take it off again and
      check it. This time I was able to get the pintle out of the bronze casting,
      and there is a very good bearing surface inside. So I have now refitted the
      pintle into the bottom of the rudder using thickened epoxy (being very
      careful of the alignment!) and put the whole lot back together again. The
      rudder is turning very nicely, there is almost no play at all in the bottom
      bearing, and I am feeling very pleased with myself! I'm glad we had this
      discussion on the net. I've attached a piture of the pintle. Good luck with
      your own rudder project.

      Regards,

      Simon
      Gin Rummy, CN35-202