RE: [campernicholson] Engine

    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 6, 2006
      Message
      Perkins are generally very reliable - not heard of a head cracking before.  More likely you just need a new head gasket.

      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
        Message
        Thank you for the advise. I have, however, changed head gasket several times including machining the head. So I have reason to believe there is more than a gasket to be replaced..... Motoring today for 2 hrs reduced the fluid level close to 2 ltrs. Overheating when pushing the engine (I just tested quite carefully). A new head from Norwegian dealer is around GBP 1 000.  Generally prices are high her, so just wanted to cheque out the possibility.

        Thomas

        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 7, 2006
          Message
          I would be more concerned about the piston rings. Did you say that coolant was ending up in the oil pan?

          Scott Thurston
          Penelope
          CN-32

          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
            I give you an idea:

            Look for prices in a general machinery distribuitor
            (sales of machinery for building constructios), as
            usually, our engines (the basic) is the same than the
            industrial version (dumpers, tractors, etc)...

            Here, in Spain it works...(very cheap comparing with
            the marine source).

            http://mail.yahoo.com
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
              Message
              Other possibilities for water loss include:
              - leaky heat exchanger (freshwater coolant passing into raw water circuit)
              - bad exhaust manifold gasket (you probably already changed this when you had the head off?)
              Mind you, none of these would explain the oil in the water, and since oil-coolers are usually raw water based that would probably also be ruled out as a suspect.

              I would think if the head was cracked you'd either be able to see or locate it with dye testing.

              Good luck

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006
                Message
                Piston rings are new. Coolant ends up somewhere, probably in the exhaust. It disappears. And there is oil in coolant. Have ordered new eng head (can be returned if not defect) to change. Here it is well known that these heads tend to crack. Hope to solve problem now.

                Thomas

[...]

              • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 8, 2006

                  I have been watching this thread.  I am not an expert and, at the moment, my perkins is fine but if you are getting oil in the coolant via a crack in the head or one of the waterways elsewhere in the engine then it would probably also turn up as coolant in the engine oil.

                  (Message over 64 KB, truncated)

                • thomas j. middelthon
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 11, 2006
                    .....I ordered a new enigne head, can return it if I find out when
                    dismantling that the old one is not broken. I am keen to fix the problem as
                    summer holiday is coming closer and we intend to use the boat nearly every
                    weekend before that. But I did hope for cheaper problem / cheaper
                    solution....

                    Thomas