Re: Port Replacements

  • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 19, 1999
      Steve,
      we Redid all the 'glass' in our CN35...used 1/4 inch Lexan, all but one of
      ours is flat, but the forward one has a pretty pronounced curve, the flat
      stuff went right in. We got all worried and used Sika Tape on the first ones
      we did (expensive and hard to find) when I did the front one , tho' I just
      used good ol' Dolfinite and it hasn't leaked in three years.
      To be precise, I used Tape, dolphinite etc on the cabintop and one of the
      boatlife caulks on the outer rim.
      It was a lot easier than we expected, once we cleaned off all the old
      bathtub caulk that had been used as an unsuccesssful attempt to stop leaks.
      We think we'll get around to replacing the overhead hatch glass this year.

      Have Fun

      Denece
    • Simon Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 22, 1999
        Steve,

        I did all of the windows in my old Nic 30 four years ago and redid the
        front window last year.
        The windows are all screwed and bonded in with a metal surround. I used
        3/8" Polycarbonate. there are three windows in the Nic 30. All are
        curved and the front window is also curved in the vertical plane also.
        the polycarbonate was easy to work with easy to cut.
        I purchased the polycarbonate from a plastics firm here in the UK (can't
        remember the name right now, I will mail you if I remember it). they
        were able to cut the polyc' to the approximate shape so that all I had
        to do was trim it.

        I replace the original C&N selftapping screws with "Barrel Bolts" (small
        screws with a barrel shaped nut that has a screw these and a flat head
        slot cut into it) to the same diameter. I used "SikaFlex" (similar to
        3M 5200) as the donding adhesive.

        The Polyc' has proved to be a good choice, it is UV stable and very
        light. I did not want to use any form of shading, so I went with the
        clear.
        I also took the opportunity to replace the head lining at the same time.
        I fitted soft wood stringers to the coachroof and the cut 1/4" Marine
        Ply to the right shape, covered it with a marine Vinyl (I employed a
        chap to do this as I was running out of time). the new roof linings were
        then screwed to the stringers with S/Steel screws and cups. The whole
        roof is much stronger and look terrific.
        As with all of these thing the job snowballed. When I removed the old
        roof, I also decided to reroute the electrical cables and the circuits
        to the mast in to the cable runs as originally used by C&N (this is why
        I ran out of time) I ended up by rewiring the whole boat!.

        All very neat and tidy at the end.

        Simon S. Bradshaw

        TOPCALL UK Limited
        Communications Process Re-Engineering