i never knew this before!

  • svwantok@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , May 22 9:30 AM

       I NEVER KNEW THIS BEFORE. - DID YOU!??

      Donna P. Woodall

      Processing Department

      P O Box 6903

      Columbia, SC 29260-6903

      Phone #803-779-7666

      Fax # 803-779-7444

      e-mail:      donnaw@tiasc.biz

      From: scibelli beverly [mailto:bunny1848@...]
      Sent: Friday, May 12, 2006 12:22 PM
      Subject: Fwd: Fw: I never knew this before

      A 36 year old female had an accident several weeks ago and totaled her
      car. A resident of Kilgore , Texas, she was traveling between
      Gladewater & Kilgore. It was raining, though not excessively, when her
      car suddenly began to hydroplane and literally flew through the air.
      She was not seriously injured but very stunned at the sudden occurrence!

      When she explained to the highway patrolman what had happened he told
      her something that every driver should know - NEVER DRIVE IN THE RAIN
      WITH YOUR CRUISE CONTROL ON . She had thought she was being cautious
      by setting the cruise control and maintaining a safe consistent speed
      in the rain.

      But the highway patrolman told her that if the cruise control is on
      and your car begins to hydroplane -- when your tires lose contact with
      the pavement, your car will accelerate to a higher rate of speed and
      you take off like an airplane. She told the patrolman that was exactly
      what had occurred. The highway patrol estimated her car was actually
      traveling through
      the air at 10 to 15 miles per hour faster than the speed set on the
      cruise control.

      The patrolman said this warning should be listed, on the driver's seat
      sun-visor - NEVER USE THE CRUISE CONTROL WHEN THE PAVEMENT IS WET OR
      ICY , along with the airbag warning. We tell our teenagers to set the
      cruise control and drive a safe speed - but we don't tell them to use
      the cruise control only when the pavement is dry.

      The only person the accident victim found, who knew this (besides the
      patrolman), was a man who had had a similar accident, totaled his car
      and sustained severe injuries.

      If you send this to 15 people and only one of them doesn't know about
      this, then it was all worth it. You might have saved a life.

    • Robert Horvath
      Message 2 of 2 , May 22 10:36 AM
        Message
        You don't need to know this, because what is described here is total fiction and defies all laws of physics.

        I do however believe that it is unsafe to drive with criuse control on wet or icy pavement1

        drbob