Re:Camper Nicholson Aluminum Stantions

  • Keith Mayes
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 10 7:25 PM
      Hello,

      I just learned about this group as a result of one of my crew
      launching the inquiry about the frozen stanchions.

      I am happy to report that the problem stanchions have been removed.
      I cut them off flush with the top of the bases and carefully put two
      vertical cuts with a jigsaw about half an inch apart on the inside
      of the tube. With gentle persuasion I was able to remove the 1/2
      inch section and then the rest came out relatively easily, and
      without damage to the bases. They have been replaced with stainless
      steel stanchions that I had made.

      By the way, Labyrinth is a 1975 CN 33, Hull #6. She is fairly
      original, except that the main salon pipe berths have been replaced
      with settees. She still has the original single cylinder 12 hp
      Yanmar diesel, that would not pull the skin off a rice pudding.

      Last year, my second full season, we did 37 races together. She is
      a fine old vessel, and I am happy to have a boat with such great
      heritage.

      Best Regards,
      Keith

      --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Colin Campbell-Dunlop"
      <colinj@...> wrote:

      > Hi,
      >
      > I have just seen these communications and just wanted to put a
      penny
      > worth in.
      >
      > We are lucky with Trutz (Nic 35) as she has stainless bases and
      > stantions so there isn't a problem. However, we just did a refurb
      on my
      > Fathers boat which had the problem you are talking about. Alloy
      is just
      > not the right metal to do the job long term as either a base or a
      > stantion in my humble view. This was a problem with a lot of
      Westerly
      > yachts too which had alloy bases and stainless uprights. Getting
      them
      > apart when they are really seized is so difficult that you will
      probably
      > end up wrecking what you have. Also, heat as a solution is only
      really
      > effective when you are dealing with two different types of metal,
      bronze
      > to stainless steel for example when you can hear a
      distinctive 'pop' as
      > the joint frees up under heat.
      >
      > In the end, with Dads boat we just stripped all the bases out and
      > replaced the whole lot. We had to delay the process a season
      whilst we
      > saved the money but the end result is great. I don't know how much
      > steel fabrication over in the States is relative to the UK but we
      go the
      > whole lot made up so that the new bases are a perfect fit for the
      grp
      > plinths that the old ones used to sit on.
      >
      > To sort out any problems with leaks we took the old bases off and
      then
      > drilled out the holes to about 10-12mm. Then we filled the holes
      (once
      > they were fully dry) with good quality epoxy. After that we
      marked up
      > with the new bases, drilled the correct 6mm holes and bedded the
      new
      > bases down on sikaflex. Since then, no leaks, good job.
      >
      > That is the 'dynamite option' I suppose. We have had some success
      with
      > my friends Westerly where, if we were able to get the upright out
      of the
      > base we have put liberal amounts of Tefgel on there. It seems to
      work a
      > treat.
      >
      > Hope it helps and good luck
      >
      > Kind regards
      >
      > Colin Campbell-Dunlop
      >
      > Trutz 35/225

      Roesner
      > Sent: 30 March 2006 22:10
      > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [campernicholson] Re:Camper Nicholson Aluminum Stantions
      >
      > As an owner of a CN 31, hull no 113, for the past 26 years I
      thought I'd
      > throw my two cents worth in. I have two units frozen together -
      stanchion
      > to base- and nothing can get them apart-...heat wd40, large
      plumbers
      > wrenches, hammers, acetone soaks. etc. etc. I've come very close
      to just
      > about ripping them from their bolts, which I have not messed with
      for
      > fear of developing hull deck leaks. They are not broke so I won't
      fix
      > them. They only become problematic when winter storage covers are
      put
      > up. Those others that are free I periodically lift (lifelines in
      place
      > and apply some sandpaper to the corrosion to keep the diameter
      down.
      > The American journal 'Practical Sailor did a review of stanchion
      systems
      > maybe 10/15 years ago and these stanchions, by Gibb by the way,
      passed
      > with flying colors for strength, weight, and durability, exceeding
      many
      > if not all stainless types at the time. Anybody out there have a
      back
      > issue library?
      > Cheers Bill R.
      > Newton ,MA
      >
      > On Mar 30, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Mark Burrows wrote:
      > Sara:
      > The boat in question is call Labyrinth (formerly Zalek) in the
      > Chesapeake Bay. She's been racing locally for about 10 years. The
      > current owner is Keith Mayes. This is Keith's 3rd full season
      with her.
      > We've busted about 4 stanchions in the last 2 years so it is a much
      > needed upgrade.
      >
      > Labyrinth is a nice racing boat and Keith does lots of weekend
      cruising
      > as well. The thing that caught my attention early on was how she
      took
      > on heavy chop.
      > For more info and pix, go to www.hhsa.org. Do you know anything
      about
      > Iromguy, the Fastnet boat? I'd love to see how that boat is set
      up.

      > Markdb
      > Springfield, VA USA
      >
      > campernicholson@yahoogroups.com wrote:There is 1 message in this
      issue.

      > Topics in this digest:
      >
      > 1. RE: Re: 30 year old stanchions
      > From: "sara oneill" <sarabelleoneill@...>

      ___

      ___

      > Message: 1
      > Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2006 17:50:48 +0000
      > From: "sara oneill" <sarabelleoneill@...>
      > Subject: RE: Re: 30 year old stanchions
      >
      > I have the same problem! Two of my stanchions have broken, and
      although
      > have new stanchions to replace them with i have resorted to tying
      them
      > as a
      > temporary fix since I havent been able to remove the old ones.
      Thanks
      > for
      > the tips about grilling and now i will consider removing them all
      > together.
      > Sara O'Neill
      > SV O'Dege
      > CN 33'
      >
      > PS just out of curiosity, where is the CN 33' that prompted this
      > discussion?
      > What is she named? I haven't heard of very many --other than SV
      > Clockwork
      > --on this group site.
      >

      > From: "David Burnham" <burnhad@...>
      > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: [campernicholson] Re: 30 year old stanchions
      > Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 17:46:52 -0000
      >
      > And I thought I was the only one with this problem...
      > I removed the stanchions on Clockwork (1975 hull #19) and will not
      be
      > putting them back on.
      > I had trouble removing the stainless steel screws that hold the
      > aluminum bases to the aluminum toe rail because they wouldn't back
      out
      > of the aluminum stanchion bases. I drilled them out. I haven't
      tried
      > to remove the stanchions from their bases but if you want them you
      can
      > have mine for the cost of shipping them to you.
      > I think Clockwork looks much better sitting on her mooring without
      the
      > lifelines cluttering up the view. I use jacklines and a harness
      > offshore and there are plenty of handholds available to get from
      the
      > cockpit to the bow pulpit. If I was in a one-design class I might
      get
      > a penalty for no lifelines but I'd rather have a good harness
      instead.
      > David
      >
      > --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Mark Burrows" <proposala@>
      > wrote:
      > I was helping replace the stanchions on a 1976 Nicholson 33 on
      > Saturday. We ran into a big problem. We could not get the pins out
      > of
      > some of the stanchion bases. We were able to remove a couple of
      pins
      > but the stanchions would not come out of the bases.
      >
      > When the stanchions broke last year, they seemed brittle.
      > The stanchions and bases look like they are aluminum or something
      > other than steel. Are they aluminum?
      >

      > We tried heat and wd40. Any ideas short of drilling them out?

      ___

      -----

      > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
      >
      > ? Visit your group "campernicholson" on the web.
      >
      > ? To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
      >
      > ? Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
      Service.