Re: Top handrails

  • Tom Jaax
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
      --Jim, I rebolted our handrails on Lea-Rig. We had the same problem
      in the head. The only choice was to drill out a bigger hole with a
      hole saw. Then we could see the nuts and bolts. One of the two had the
      core removed. But I always oversize the bolt holes anyway, fill with
      epoxy and redrill to the actual bolt size. For the final finish in the
      head, I covered the hole saw opening with a "polished" plate of
      stainless, about 4" square using screws into the fiberglass liner.
      Tom
      Lea-Rig
      CN 35, #189

      - In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "teipenj" <jteipen@...> wrote:

      > We are in the middle of an extensive project to replace the vinyl
      > headliner and to refinish the cabin side walls on Alegria.
      >
      > I was wondering if anyone has experience with removing the cabin top
      > exterior handrails? Removal of the old headliner made access to most
      > of the handrail though bolt nuts readily accessible. However, the most
      > forward attachment is over the hard ceiling of the head. I would have
      > thought that, since lower access is restricted, the yard would have
      > used a wood screw there. I popped the teak plug out and was able to
      > turn the fastener but couldn't get it to back out. I'm guessing it's
      > through bolted as well. Has anyone figured out how to get access to
      > the nut on the most forward part of the handrail?
      >
      > Jim
      > Alegria
      > C/N 35 #68

    • William E. Roesner
      Message 2 of 5 , Apr 5, 2006
        Tom,
        Geeez, Polished square piece(s) of stainless on the head ceiling?
        Screwed? Why not a round, flat,(or shaped) blind mounted piece of teak
        to match the rest of the teak finishes on the boat.?
        Don't mean to sound like a critic, but...Sorry.
        Bill,
        SV Blueprint
        CN 31-113

        On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:46 PM, Tom Jaax wrote:

        > --Jim,   I rebolted our handrails on Lea-Rig. We had the same problem
        > in the head. The only choice was to drill out a bigger hole with a
        > hole saw. Then we could see the nuts and bolts. One of the two had the
        > core removed. But I always oversize the bolt holes anyway, fill with
        > epoxy and redrill to the actual bolt size. For the final finish in the
        > head, I covered the hole saw opening with a "polished" plate of
        > stainless, about 4" square using screws into the fiberglass liner.
        >    Tom
        >    Lea-Rig
        >    CN 35, #189
        >
        > - In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "teipenj" <jteipen@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > We are in the middle of an extensive project to replace the vinyl
        > > headliner and to refinish the cabin side walls on Alegria.
        > >
        > > I was wondering if anyone has experience with removing the cabin top
        > > exterior handrails? Removal of the old headliner made access to most
        > > of the handrail though bolt nuts readily accessible. However, the
        > most
        > > forward attachment is over the hard ceiling of the head. I would
        > have
        > > thought that, since lower access is restricted, the yard would have
        > > used a wood screw there.  I popped the teak plug out and was able to
        > > turn the fastener but couldn't get it to back out.  I'm guessing
        > it's
        > > through bolted as well. Has anyone figured out how to get access to
        > > the nut on the most forward part of the handrail?
        > >
        > > Jim
        > > Alegria
        > > C/N 35 #68
        > >

        > YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS
        >
        > ▪  Visit your group "campernicholson" on the web.

        > Service.

      • JIM TEIPEN
        Message 3 of 5 , Apr 6, 2006
          Hi Tom

          Thanks for the response. I never did figure out how to access the handrail
          nuts over the head. I suspect that access might be possible by removing
          the headliner in the forepeak but I wasn't able to do that either. I
          finally used a reciprocating saw to cut the bolts between the fiberglass and
          the handrail. To replace it, I expoxied over the the flush ends of the cut
          off bolts, plugged the original hole in the handrail and drilled a second
          hole about 1/2 inch aft but still over the protrusion on the deck. I used a
          self tapping screw and teak plug to reattach the handrail. The protrusions
          are solid fiberglass so it seems pretty solid, however, your solution is
          better.

          Jim
          Alegria
          CN 35 #68

          >From: "Tom Jaax" <jaaxcarr@...>
          >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Top handrails
          >Date: Wed, 05 Apr 2006 16:46:29 -0000
          >
          >--Jim, I rebolted our handrails on Lea-Rig. We had the same problem
          >in the head. The only choice was to drill out a bigger hole with a
          >hole saw. Then we could see the nuts and bolts. One of the two had the
          >core removed. But I always oversize the bolt holes anyway, fill with
          >epoxy and redrill to the actual bolt size. For the final finish in the
          >head, I covered the hole saw opening with a "polished" plate of
          >stainless, about 4" square using screws into the fiberglass liner.
          > Tom
          > Lea-Rig
          > CN 35, #189
          >
          >- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "teipenj" <jteipen@...> wrote:
          > >
          > > We are in the middle of an extensive project to replace the vinyl
          > > headliner and to refinish the cabin side walls on Alegria.
          > >
          > > I was wondering if anyone has experience with removing the cabin top
          > > exterior handrails? Removal of the old headliner made access to most
          > > of the handrail though bolt nuts readily accessible. However, the most
          > > forward attachment is over the hard ceiling of the head. I would have
          > > thought that, since lower access is restricted, the yard would have
          > > used a wood screw there. I popped the teak plug out and was able to
          > > turn the fastener but couldn't get it to back out. I'm guessing it's
          > > through bolted as well. Has anyone figured out how to get access to
          > > the nut on the most forward part of the handrail?
          > >
          > > Jim
          > > Alegria
          > > C/N 35 #68
          > >

          >Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Tom Jaax
          Message 4 of 5 , Apr 7, 2006
            --Bill,
            I don't mind the critique. The head has its own beauty. There is
            minimal teak now and it is a wash area....Plus, the plate is I feel
            father indistinct. I did file round the corners..does that count? I
            can get small cut pieces of stainless at a metal salvage and I don't
            like to cut this metal. True, round would be better. Also, I think
            stainless and teak go well together artistically. Finally, longevity
            of a thin piece of teak is questionable, then a thicker piece is too
            bulky for the area and heavy.....To tell the truth I never thought
            about teak. Too late now...(we all know that is a lie).
            Tom
            Lea-Rig

            - In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, William E. Roesner