Changing out ports

  • solon_mhor
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
      I have a Nicholson 30 based in Solomons, MD on the Chesapeake Bay.
      Because summer temperatures and humidity both reach into the 90s,
      ventilation is important. We're considering replacing each of the two
      long fixed side windows (plexiglas measuring abt 61-1/2 by 3-1/2
      inches) along the main cabin with two or three ports that would open
      (but could be dogged shut). Has anyone had experience with this and
      might provide some pointers? thanks.

      Charles Yost
      Solon Mhor (Nic 30, ?/63)
    • Peter Walzer
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 2005
        Solon - I replaced two ports on each side of the main cabin on my CN39. The
        old ports leaked and did not open. It is a bear getting the old ports out in
        that the stainless screws were corroded into the aluminum frame. It required
        drilling out the old screws. The new surface has to be flat and smooth which
        requires buildup on the cabin side. You also have to figure out what to do
        on the inside liner as the new ports may not be the same shape as the old
        port. I used epoxy thickened with 403 filler (West system filler) for most
        of the buildup and even added some plywood in the buildup where there was a
        thick buildup. I cut a new side piece for the inside that matched the
        opening for the new ports. On the outside, I awlgripped the area
        encompassing the buildup area. It is a big job but can be done. I used
        opening ports from "GEBO" available from Annapolis Cruiseair. If you chose
        GEBO, allow several months for delivery in that the ports come from Europe.

        Good luck.

        Peter