Lift pump for Perkins 4-108

  • Colin
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
      Dear All,

      I am in the process of checking this out but I have just been told
      that it is no longer possible to get lift pump service kits for the
      Perkins 4-108. Apparently you have to buy a whole new pump.

      Has anyone else heard this or am I getting dodgy advice?

      Rgds

      Colin

      Trutz 35/225
    • Arild Jæger
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
        Dear Colin,

        If the term "lift pump" means sea-water-pump for engine cooling, I experienced a leak in my Jabsco pump on my Perkins 4.108 in September. When I called the local Perkins dealer I had the option of buying parts, eg, new shaft, to the pump. In my case there was a groove in the shaft, but I managed to move the new (cheap industrial) sealing (where I moved over the stainless spring of the old one) beside the groove, so I didn't have to buy a new shaft or have it re-machined.

        To answer you question: you should be able to get parts if it is the same pump.

        Best regards,
        Arild
        Far Out 38/10

        ------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> Get fast access to your favorite Yahoo! Groups. Make Yahoo! your home page http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/_0TolB/TM
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
          Message
          I find that rather hard to believe - the Perkins 4108 is a very common engine used in many different vessels.  That said, a new lift pump is unlikely to be particularly expensive.... its just a diaphram and a lever.

          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
            Message
            The term "lift pump" generally refers to the small crank-driven fuel pump that feeds the injector pump.

            In my experience, rebuilding a raw water pump after seal failure is rarely worthwhile.  Its usually cheaper (labor-wise) to replace the whole pump.

            If the term "lift pump" means sea-water-pump for engine cooling, I experienced a leak in my Jabsco pump on my Perkins 4.108 in September.  When I called the local Perkins dealer I had the option of buying parts, eg, new shaft, to the pump.  In my case there was a groove in the shaft, but I managed to move the new (cheap industrial) sealing (where I moved over the stainless spring of the old one) beside the groove, so I didn't have to buy a new shaft or have it re-machined.

            To answer you question: you should be able to get parts if it is the same pump.

            Best regards,
            Arild
            Far Out 38/10

          • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 7, 2005
              Message
              Thanks Graham and Arild,

              I have just contacted a diesel motor factor and there seems no problem with availability for the lift pump or the service kit so I will mention this to the engineer who said they didn't make them anymore.

              Many thanks for your input

              Rgds

              Colin