Rudders

    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 3, 1999
      I talked with a CN35 owner friend of mine (#216 Brandy) and he had the same
      experience as i did when he stripped the rudder down. namely a lot of
      slurry drained out (water and foamcore) and a hell of a lot of voids left
      in the rudder. We will be trying to fill the voids by drilling and
      injecting West as best we can. I don't know if this is just a result of the
      freezing and thawing cycle here in the East. has anyone else stripped the
      gelcoat off the rudder or otherwise closely examined its condition?
    • Simon Bradshaw
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3, 1999
        Hello Dennis,
        Hows the Stantion post?
        Rudder delamination and disintegration of the foam core.
        What a great title for a book.

        I had this exact same thing with the rudder on TTFN (Nic 30) year before
        last.

        Remove rudder.
        Drill through with 1/4"
        grind bottom off, or drill up through the bottom. This is just to let
        the liquid drain out.
        Attach 50Lbs breaking strain fishing line with knots in one end to the
        end of a 1/4" drill.
        Push drill bit through hole and run drill. This will breakup the damaged
        foam. Do this at each hole.
        flush whole rudder with fresh water. Hang rudder up in a warm place to
        dry (I used a corner of the lounge at home)
        When dry, lay some sand bags on the ground. these need to take the shape
        of the rudder. Cover the holes on one side with tape. lay this side down
        on the sand bags. have more sand bags ready to place over the top of the
        rudder when the next few steps are finished.

        Mix a slow cure Epoxy to the consistency of ketchup (catsup if US) by
        adding "Micro Balloons". These are essential as the rudder should have
        negative buoyancy. So, by using Micro Balloons as the filler you build
        buoyancy in to the Epoxy.

        Use a large hypodermic syringe to inject the Epoxy into the rudder.
        Inject at each hole and when the Epoxy comes out of the hole move on to
        the next.

        when you have finished all of the holes tape over them. Place the sand
        bags on top of the rudder. This will press the GRP laminates in to
        compression with the Epoxy.

        Leave the Epoxy to set and then fair and anti foul

        This worked even better than I had expected it to. TTFN's rudder is
        transom hung and getting the correct buoyancy could have been a problem.
        The Micro balloons worked a treat.

        I have more info on this if you need it.

        Best of luck and don't be afraid.

        Simon S. Bradshaw

        TOPCALL UK Limited
        Communications Process Re-Engineering
        DDI - 0118 952 8917
        PBX - 0118 952 8900
        FAX - 0118 952 8901
        CELL - 07775 655 101
        URL - www.TOPCALL.com

        > ----------

      • Steve Lochner
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3, 1999
          At 09:40 AM 2/3/99 -0500, Dennis Gibbons wrote:
          >... has anyone else stripped the
          >gelcoat off the rudder or otherwise closely examined its condition?...

          I just had my rudder rebuilt. We had previously drilled holes in the
          bottom edge - and water poured out. We then drilled large (4" +/-)
          diameter holes from one side, starting near the top of the rudder, and
          going down the spine on about 8" centers, to the bottom. We then could
          reach inside, and rip, scrap, and ream out all (hopefully) the corrupted
          foam core. We then replaced said rotten core with two-part floatation
          foam, glassed into place the 4" hockey puck hole covers, and put a new
          layer of glass over all.

          Hopefully, we will now get another 25 years of service out of the rudder.

          HTH.
          Steve Lochner
          s/v Equus, CN 48, on the hard in Sandusky, Ohio

          "I know nothing - nothing do I know - but I go to free myself from the
          Wheel of Things by a broad and open road." R. Kipling.
        • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 3, 1999
            Oh NO! Not something else to worry about.
            We have noticed that our helm seems heavier this last year, and not much
            relieved by lubricating the sheaves.
            I guess we'll have to investigate when we haul next Fall. Thanks for the
            information and any other tidbits you might have.