Anode

  • Duncan Kent
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 2, 2005

      Hi guys

      Before I do any more damage – I tried to remove my anode yesterday while Olivia is on the hard. I got the outside nuts off, but because of the recess I couldn’t lever of the remains of the old anode without damaging the hull. So I tried to remove the whole plate complete with the anode by removing the double nuts inside. Of course the stud with the wire attached immediately sheared off at hull level! OK I thought – I’ll just punch the studs back through the hull and get a new plate as well – but no amount of sensible persuasion would shift it. My question is – am I right in thinking the whole plate should just pop out once the nuts are removed from inside, and all that likely to be holding it on is large amounts of mastic, rather than something sneaky like a glassed-in backing plate? I don’t want to end up with a large hole in the hull!

      Cheers, Duncan

    • Brian Dwyer
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
        Duncan,

        You are right it will just pop off when you remove the inside nuts. Tap gently with your rubber mallet.

        Good Sailing
        Brian
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
          Duncan Kent,
          Oh Yes the CN anode....You can use a modicum of force in prying the old
          anode away...there is nothing magic or 'hidden' in the
          installation....the anodes you used to be able to buy from CN.... maybe
          you still can... came with a thin foam pad and with a set of studs nuts
          and bolts and electrical leads,... but they were amazingly
          expensive...+/- 75$ us each....It sounds like the studs were at the end
          of their useful life....the studs came with a little square (+/- 1")
          plate welded to the stud which fit into a little square pocket moulded
          into the hull...inside the anode pocket....this allows you to snug up
          the bolt/stud from the inside without a wrench having to be applied on
          the outside....I found after encountering the same problem myself a
          couple of times that you only need sealant proximal to the two studs
          and I also installed the thin foam pad between the anode and the
          hull.... Suggest that you work patiently and slowly to dig the old
          anode out perhaps applying a modicum of heat ( heat gun/ hair dryer) to
          try and soften the sealant before trying to pry again...if the studs
          are free of bolts on the inside (one is already broken off) there
          should be nothing restraining the anode except the sealant. Cheers
          Blueprintbill. CN 31-113.
          On Apr 3, 2005, at 1:26 AM, Duncan Kent wrote:

          > Hi guys
          >

          > Before I do any more damage – I tried to remove my anode yesterday
          > while Olivia is on the hard. I got the outside nuts off, but because
          > of the recess I couldn’t lever of the remains of the old anode without
          > damaging the hull. So I tried to remove the whole plate complete with
          > the anode by removing the double nuts inside. Of course the stud with
          > the wire attached immediately sheared off at hull level! OK I thought
          > – I’ll just punch the studs back through the hull and get a new plate
          > as well – but no amount of sensible persuasion would shift it. My
          > question is – am I right in thinking the whole plate should just pop
          > out once the nuts are removed from inside, and all that likely to be
          > holding it on is large amounts of mastic, rather than something sneaky
          > like a glassed-in backing plate? I don’t want to end up with a large
          > hole in the hull!
          >

          > Cheers, Duncan
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Service.

        • William E. Roesner
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
            On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:55 PM, William E. Roesner wrote:

            > Duncan Kent,
            > Oh Yes the CN anode....You can use a modicum of force in prying the
            > old anode away...there is nothing magic or 'hidden' in the
            > installation....the anodes you used to be able to buy from CN....
            > maybe you still can... came with a thin foam pad and with a set of
            > studs nuts and bolts and electrical leads,... but they were amazingly
            > expensive...+/- 75$ us each....It sounds like the studs were at the
            > end of their useful life....the studs came with a little square (+/-
            > 1") plate welded to the stud which fit into a little square pocket
            > moulded into the hull...inside the anode pocket....this allows you to
            > snug up the bolt/stud from the inside without a wrench having to be
            > applied on the outside....I found after encountering the same problem
            > myself a couple of times that you only need sealant proximal to the
            > two studs and I also installed the thin foam pad between the anode and
            > the hull.... Suggest that you work patiently and slowly to dig the old
            > anode out perhaps applying a modicum of heat ( heat gun/ hair dryer)
            > to try and soften the sealant before trying to pry again...if the
            > studs are free of bolts on the inside (one is already broken off)
            > there should be nothing restraining the anode except the sealant.
            > Cheers Blueprintbill. CN 31-113.
            > On Apr 3, 2005, at 1:26 AM, Duncan Kent wrote:
            >
            >> Hi guys
            >>

            >> Before I do any more damage – I tried to remove my anode yesterday
            >> while Olivia is on the hard. I got the outside nuts off, but because
            >> of the recess I couldn’t lever of the remains of the old anode
            >> without damaging the hull. So I tried to remove the whole plate
            >> complete with the anode by removing the double nuts inside. Of course
            >> the stud with the wire attached immediately sheared off at hull
            >> level! OK I thought – I’ll just punch the studs back through the hull
            >> and get a new plate as well – but no amount of sensible persuasion
            >> would shift it. My question is – am I right in thinking the whole
            >> plate should just pop out once the nuts are removed from inside, and
            >> all that likely to be holding it on is large amounts of mastic,
            >> rather than something sneaky like a glassed-in backing plate? I don’t
            >> want to end up with a large hole in the hull!
            >>

            >> Cheers, Duncan
            >>

            >> Yahoo! Groups Links
            >>
            >> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
            >>
            >> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
            >>
            >> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
            >> Service.

          • William E. Roesner
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
              On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:55 PM, William E. Roesner wrote:

              > Duncan Kent,
              > Oh Yes the CN anode....You can use a modicum of force in prying the
              > old anode away...there is nothing magic or 'hidden' in the
              > installation....the anodes you used to be able to buy from CN....
              > maybe you still can... came with a thin foam pad and with a set of
              > studs nuts and bolts and electrical leads,... but they were amazingly
              > expensive...+/- 75$ us each....It sounds like the studs were at the
              > end of their useful life....the studs came with a little square (+/-
              > 1") plate welded to the stud which fit into a little square pocket
              > moulded into the hull...inside the anode pocket....this allows you to
              > snug up the bolt/stud from the inside without a wrench having to be
              > applied on the outside....I found after encountering the same problem
              > myself a couple of times that you only need sealant proximal to the
              > two studs and I also installed the thin foam pad between the anode and
              > the hull.... Suggest that you work patiently and slowly to dig the old
              > anode out perhaps applying a modicum of heat ( heat gun/ hair dryer)
              > to try and soften the sealant before trying to pry again...if the
              > studs are free of bolts on the inside (one is already broken off)
              > there should be nothing restraining the anode except the sealant.
              > Cheers Blueprintbill. CN 31-113.
              > On Apr 3, 2005, at 1:26 AM, Duncan Kent wrote:
              >
              >> Hi guys
              >>

              >> Before I do any more damage – I tried to remove my anode yesterday
              >> while Olivia is on the hard. I got the outside nuts off, but because
              >> of the recess I couldn’t lever of the remains of the old anode
              >> without damaging the hull. So I tried to remove the whole plate
              >> complete with the anode by removing the double nuts inside. Of course
              >> the stud with the wire attached immediately sheared off at hull
              >> level! OK I thought – I’ll just punch the studs back through the hull
              >> and get a new plate as well – but no amount of sensible persuasion
              >> would shift it. My question is – am I right in thinking the whole
              >> plate should just pop out once the nuts are removed from inside, and
              >> all that likely to be holding it on is large amounts of mastic,
              >> rather than something sneaky like a glassed-in backing plate? I don’t
              >> want to end up with a large hole in the hull!
              >>

              >> Cheers, Duncan
              >>

              >> Yahoo! Groups Links
              >>
              >> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
              >>
              >> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
              >>
              >> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
              >> Service.

            • William E. Roesner
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005
                On Apr 3, 2005, at 12:55 PM, William E. Roesner wrote:

                > Duncan Kent,
                > Oh Yes the CN anode....You can use a modicum of force in prying the
                > old anode away...there is nothing magic or 'hidden' in the
                > installation....the anodes you used to be able to buy from CN....
                > maybe you still can... came with a thin foam pad and with a set of
                > studs nuts and bolts and electrical leads,... but they were amazingly
                > expensive...+/- 75$ us each....It sounds like the studs were at the
                > end of their useful life....the studs came with a little square (+/-
                > 1") plate welded to the stud which fit into a little square pocket
                > moulded into the hull...inside the anode pocket....this allows you to
                > snug up the bolt/stud from the inside without a wrench having to be
                > applied on the outside....I found after encountering the same problem
                > myself a couple of times that you only need sealant proximal to the
                > two studs and I also installed the thin foam pad between the anode and
                > the hull.... Suggest that you work patiently and slowly to dig the old
                > anode out perhaps applying a modicum of heat ( heat gun/ hair dryer)
                > to try and soften the sealant before trying to pry again...if the
                > studs are free of bolts on the inside (one is already broken off)
                > there should be nothing restraining the anode except the sealant.
                > Cheers Blueprintbill. CN 31-113.
                > On Apr 3, 2005, at 1:26 AM, Duncan Kent wrote:
                >
                >> Hi guys
                >>

                >> Before I do any more damage – I tried to remove my anode yesterday
                >> while Olivia is on the hard. I got the outside nuts off, but because
                >> of the recess I couldn’t lever of the remains of the old anode
                >> without damaging the hull. So I tried to remove the whole plate
                >> complete with the anode by removing the double nuts inside. Of course
                >> the stud with the wire attached immediately sheared off at hull
                >> level! OK I thought – I’ll just punch the studs back through the hull
                >> and get a new plate as well – but no amount of sensible persuasion
                >> would shift it. My question is – am I right in thinking the whole
                >> plate should just pop out once the nuts are removed from inside, and
                >> all that likely to be holding it on is large amounts of mastic,
                >> rather than something sneaky like a glassed-in backing plate? I don’t
                >> want to end up with a large hole in the hull!
                >>

                >> Cheers, Duncan
                >>

                >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                >>
                >> • To visit your group on the web, go to:
                >>
                >> • To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
                >>
                >> • Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                >> Service.

              • Duncan Kent
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005

                  Thanks for that Bill – I’ll get a larger hammer onto it and apply some heat.

                  Duncan

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 3, 2005

                    Thanks Brian. I’ll give it another go.