Re: Batteries

  • Musik4u@xxx.xxx
    Message 1 of 6 , Jan 14, 1999
      John,

      Our CN 35 Hull 68 Alegria has two 6 volt batteries in series underneath the
      port watch seat and two more 6 volt batteries in a specially glassed in area
      in the hanging locker adjacent to the watch seat for a total of 450 amp hours.
      We have a single 12 volt starting battery mounted in the forward part of the
      starboard lazarette. The battery switches are set up so that starting can be
      accomplished from either bank of batteries. For charging, we have a Heart
      inverter/charger mounted on the bulkhead underneath the chart table and a 100
      amp alternator. Our power requirements are very similar to yours except we
      don't have a SSB and we sometimes run a small 120 volt microwave from the
      batteries by way of the inverter.

      Judging from a recent three week cruise, I would guess our 450 amp hours would
      last about 2 days. However, we generally charged the batteries when we were
      at a 50% level which means we charged almost every day. It takes about 2 to 3
      hours of engine time at about 900 rpm with our 100 amp alternator to top the
      batteries off from a 50% discharge level. We have one of those E meters by
      which you can monitor your battery discharge and charging. You can also
      determine exactly how much drain each of your electrical devices take by
      alternatively turning them on an off and checking the meter. These meters
      aren't real cheap but I think they are worth it.

      Regarding your question on 6 volt batteries in series, one marine electrical
      reference book that I have says that 6 volt batteries generally have heavier
      and more durable plates than 12 volt batteries.. The one provisio is that
      batteries in series should be of the same make and age and if one needs to be
      replaced, all should be replaced.

      As to your means of charging, ideally I don't know if I would want to depend
      only on the engine for charging if I was headed offshore. We talked to
      several cruisers headed south from California to Mexico for the winter who
      had fitted both a wind generator and solar panels. The thinking was you could
      have wind and fog on the northern part of this trip and then no winds and sun
      once you get farther south but that you would seldom have no sun and no wind.

      Hope some of this helps

      Jim
      S/V Alegria
      CN 35