RE: [campernicholson] Chainplates

  • Denece Vincent
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 27, 2005
      The biggest culprit we've found forr the "into the heads cabinet" (medicine chest) leak is the portlight over it. I suspect we will be redoing our chainplates in the near future anyway, though.

      Sent: 3/22/05 9:51:17 AM
      Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Chainplates

      In the ongoing restoration project of "Levity", our CN35-80, I have found
      several unusual sources of below decks leaks. It's likely I might not have
      found some of these leaks had I not disassembled so much stuff to get at
      cerain things. Al of this will someday be on my website  (hopefully before I
      die). Just about everything in the Nic is easily removed allowing good
      access to most places. That is one of the reasons Levity was our choice for
      our cruising boat. Removing the chainplates will give you an idea of whether
      or not that is the source of the moisture; if the chainplates are clean keep
      searching. Without going into too much detail I'll just point out a few
      places and I'll answer questions if any come up. The resin filled void in
      the bulwarks can have fissures (maybe from the curing process) that can fill
      with water if the caprail is not bedded. The same condition cac occur at the
      bow in the vicinity of the cutout for the anchor rode rollers; this void can
      saturate the foredeck. The deck drains can leak if a separation occurs
      between the deck and the shelf upon which the deck mold sits; leaks that
      happen while sailing heeled over enough to bring green water on deck are an
      indication that the scuppers should be examined. Hope this helps or is at
      least interesting reading. BTW, fixer-up houses and boats have a lot in
      common: I used to think that replacing an interior door (house)  was a
      monumental task, now it goes more like this "Great idea, lets move the
      staircase to the other side of the house!"