Re: [campernicholson] Enlarge Propane Locker

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 12, 2004
      If you happen to have the propane locker that is located under the starboard
      lazarette, I think you will find the 10 lb aluminum cylinders on the market
      (I got mine from West Marine) to be too long and just slightly too wide to
      fit. I probably will make the necessary modification at some point in the
      future in order to fit the 10 lb. Right now, I'm just using a steel 5 lb in
      the locker and have the option of carrying a spare cyclinder in a portable
      locker in the aft lazarette with the vent hose tee'd into the main locker
      vent.

      Jim
      Alegria
      CN - 35 #68

    • Duncan Kent
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 12, 2004

        Mine’s in the back of the anchor locker and holds two big bottles – but then there’s nothing standard about my 35!

        Is the propane locker on these later models in the starboard cockpit locker as it is on earlier models?

        > I'am planning on enlarging the propane locker on our CN35 Wisp
        > (#141).  The original British bottles were approx. 8 lbs, which
        > wasn't to bad, but they have long since rusted away.  We're only
        > able to use 5 lb'ers currently and would like to upgrade to 10 lbs.
        > It appears the locker needs only a couple of additional inches of
        > depth to accomadate the larger bottles, the trick will be relocating
        > the drain to the thru hull fitting.  If anyone has made this
        > modification I'd appreciate their input.
        > Thanks,
        > Rick
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Denece
        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 15, 2004
          We were able to cut off the bottom of the original deck well, support it temporarily and add three or four inches to the depth with new glass matting and epoxy. We could stilluse the old drain that way. Its level, not downhill, but the tank has a footrim so....

          I have photos if that would help. Nice to have ten pounds of propane!

          Denece
          Blue Pearl

          PS We seem to be the focus of spammers again, just ignore them and they'll go away.
        • David Burnham
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 29, 2004
            I was able to remove the Yanmar 12YSE from Clockwork, my C&N 33,
            this weekend in preparation to install the Yanmar 2GM20C. I will
            sell the 12YSE "as is" for 1000 dollars or if you wait until after I
            rebuild it and scrape off the rust and repaint and make sure it is
            ready to install you can buy it for 2000 dollars. Since I paid 3200
            for my reconditioned 2GM20C, 2000 seems a fair price for a 12YSE. I
            just wanted the Nicholson group to have first crack at it.

            I also removed the previous owner's attempt at a V-berth in the
            forward sail locker. Not that it wasn't comfy, I just don't like the
            idea of sleeping with my head next to the boat's head.
            The Port-a-pottie now resides just below and forward of the fordeck
            hatch. The space where the boat's head used to be will become a nice
            hanging locker opposite the wash basin.

            That will still give me 5 single berths using the two pilot berths
            above the settees and the quarterberth. The quarterberth will gain a
            few inches in width after the new engine is installed. And of course
            a new companionway ladder with 4 steps instead of 2 will make
            getting in and out of the main cabin a lot easier for my Schipperke,
            Jack.