RE: [campernicholson] Re: New member - Nic 38

  • larry hooton
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
      Hi Arild,
      My gear steering has about .5 of on inch movement at the wheel beofre the
      steering arm moves, so you do have some wear. The gear boxes are of an oil
      bath varity so you have a fill and a level plug on each side so it is just a
      matter of pouring a gearbox oil into them to a suitable level, i have
      slightly overfilled mine as there is not a lot of movement to carry the oil
      up the gearbox. Acess to my main gearbox is ok except to undo the bolts to
      the torque tube where I had to cut away part of the side wall, I will glass
      it back in when I have tested the system. I asked Whitlock about new
      bearings but they said that they could not get new ones and tried to sell me
      a new gearbox, so I took it to a local engineer who replaced they bearings
      and gave it back to me the next day!
      Best regards
      Larry

      http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
    • Arild J√¶ger
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 13, 2004
        Hi Larry,

        I have asked mark@... to send
        me a "handbook" on the Mathway heavy duty geared steering. He also
        sounded worried about the top gearbox.

        Two steering gear questions:

        - Do you access the aft gearbox from the port berth or from the aft
        stowage compartment? (The previous owner of my boat has installed a
        gas bottle compartment in the latter, which I may have to take out
        if that is the access point.)

        - Who is Whitlock?

        By the way; the original autopilot - "Pinta - Automatic Helmsman" -
        is still working - when heading south! - going north the pilot is to
        slow to take the rudder back to centre, so it swings increasingly
        from port to starboard, etc.

        I have noticed that all the cockpit drains are in the front, but the
        boat has an aft trim, so any water goes into the engine room. How
        is that in your boat?

        Here is a link to some photos I took before I bought the boat:
        http://foto.aftenposten.no/fotoalbum.php?aid=403874

        I have exchanged some e-mails with Jeremy Lines (ex C+N) and
        received some drawings etc. from him, eg:
        http://baatplassen.no/medlemssider/filer/nicholson_38.pdf

        Best regards,
        Arild
        Far Out - Nic 38/10