Re: Prop selection for Nic 31

  • sailbahama
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
      ---
      Barry,

      Thanks for your good questions, ones to which I don't have an
      answer. I'll have to check the yanmar manual when I return to the
      boat.

      leaning towards the max prop idea once I get the proper specs to
      have one made.

      Boat is in Man O War Abaco. I'm in Atlanta.

      Jeff

      In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, BarryR8195@a... wrote:
      > Jeff-What size prop do you have? What's the max rpm of the
      engine? At what
      > rpm does the speed top out? We put a new Yanmar 3JH3E in our NIC
      36 last
      > year with a 17 x 10 3 blade pro. I think our prop is one size
      too small.
      > Where are you located?--Barry
    • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 1, 2004
        Dear All,

        I wrote a while back regarding my uncle's search for a Nic 31. It looks
        like he has found a couple he is interested in.

        My question, on his behalf is whether there are any specific defects,
        design issues etc that he should look out for when viewing these boats?
        I am referring to anything like the hull/deck joint issue that affected
        some of the Nic 35s.

        By way of an update. The new Mrs C-D an myself are currently sailing in
        the West Country. Today we are on a mooring buoy in the beautiful river
        Yealm. Sailed here from Dartmouth yesterday in lightish airs but Trutz
        performed brilliantly. Cruising chute and Sailomat in use for the first
        time so it was a bit of a 'gadget day' but great fun too. Sunny as
        well!

        Rgds

        Colin and Jo

        Trutz 35/225

        Thanks for your good questions, ones to which I don't have an
        answer. I'll have to check the yanmar manual when I return to the
        boat.

        leaning towards the max prop idea once I get the proper specs to
        have one made.

        Boat is in Man O War Abaco. I'm in Atlanta.

        Jeff

        In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, BarryR8195@a... wrote:
        > Jeff-What size prop do you have? What's the max rpm of the
        engine? At what
        > rpm does the speed top out? We put a new Yanmar 3JH3E in our NIC
        36 last
        > year with a 17 x 10 3 blade pro. I think our prop is one size
        too small.
        > Where are you located?--Barry

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • sailbahama
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 2, 2004
          Colin & Jo,

          While I've only owned my Nic 31 for approx 2 years, I can't say
          enough good things about the boat and I'll pass on the items I've
          had to deal with as either a fix or something to just live with.

          see www.atomvoyages.com for photos of the refit of my boat. look
          under boat projects then look under Nicholson 31. Several quality
          photos on the web site.

          The boat is extremely stiff and stable which for me at least is not
          only confidence inspiring and comfortable but also provides a very
          gentle motion for passengers not used to sailing.

          I find the interior to be the best design I've ever seen on a small
          cruiser. Perfect 2 person boat. Very sleepable V berth. Adequate
          galley, settees that slide out to make a great berths, roomy quarter
          berth for tucking things away, darned near perfect chart table and
          the thartships head is a great use of space. Salon area is quite
          roomy espcially since I removed the fixed table to open up the
          boat. Personally the interior is a huge improvement over the older
          32, though I do like the exterior lines a tad better on the 32.

          Quality of construction is top notch.

          Engine access is awesome.

          Cockpit is one of the nicest I have ever seen. Tiller is never in
          the way, even at anchor or under auto pilot and there is no danged
          wheel to have to step, slide, curl around.

          Battery locker is first rate.

          Anchor rollers are simply superb as is the anchor locker and chain
          locker.

          My list of gripes

          Could use side opening ports for warmer weather

          Gasket material to re glaze the ports is no where to be found?

          Needs more horsepower.

          Handling under power takes some getting used to after sailing fin
          keel boats. Backing up is a chore and then some.

          Due to age, might need re wiring.

          Might need more battery capacity for cruising. I added one more 12v
          battery.

          The chain plates look like a weak link, but I've read that they are
          strong. I had them backed up under the deck with large stainless
          backing plates just for precaution.

          One of the steps to climb out of the V berth area hatch, hits you
          smack in the head if you are sleeping on the port side of the V
          berth and raise up suddenly. I removed this step after the second
          head bang.

          Stuffing box access is suitable only for a midget with limber
          limbs. I have to literally stand on my head in the port cockpit
          locker with a wrench in each hand to do this chore.

          Light air sailing performance is not up to fin keel standards
          obviously.

          It will take a very powerful, and expensive auto pilot to manage the
          tiller loads with a sea running in strong winds. A vane might be
          better.

          Dingy storage, like most small boats is a huge problem.

          After 2 years, there is simply very little I would change. Lack of
          horsepower is the biggest complaint.

          Jeff

          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, Colin Campbell-Dunlop