RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Message 1 of 13 , Feb 29, 2004

      Dale and Paula,

      We are about to start this same project.  Taking the tracks off is pretty straightforward involving the removal of the the backing plates which means quite a bit of the cabinetry in the galley and nav station areas has to be dismantled first.

      Are you going to refit the original tracks or replace it with a new one?  I want to replace the old genoa cars but haven't decided yet whether to replace the tracks. The old ones are a bit nicked up but probably still serviceable.

      Jim

      S/V Alegria

      CN 35 - 68

      >From: "Dale_&_Paula"
      >Subject: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
      >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:27:26 -0500
      >
      >Hello All,
      >
      >I am planning on removing genoa tracks on  "Celestine"  Nich 35 No.63
      >for the purpose of repairing blisters in vicinity of  tracks. I have a
      >pretty good idea of what is involved. I am looking for any "been there
      >done thats."
      >
      >Dale and Paula Beaver
      >"S/V Celestine"
      >Boston

      Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
    • Simon Rayfield
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004
        Jim, Dale & Paula

        I have this job to do as well and have been putting it off!  A 'liveaboard gypsy' I know (who was good with GRP repairs and colour matching), but have now lost contact with, did this job on a Nic 40.  I remember he told me that the primary problem was the encapsulated aluminium (which we all know about), more important was the fact that he replaced this with a substantial wooden strip.  I think he used teak as this is unlikely to expand or contract and also will not cause a chemical reaction in the GRP.

        Now, just throwing ideas into the pot - Has anyone considered removing the existing track and raised support section, grind the deck flush, make good the cut-out section with GRP.  Then get a shipwright to make a shaped, new raised deck section for the track to screw onto out of teak and bolt the whole assembly through the deck with a stainless steel underdeck backing plate.

        My concern with repairs of this type is getting an acceptable deck finish with the GRP after the repair.

        Simon
        #42 Dediou
        We are about to start this same project.  Taking the tracks off is pretty straightforward involving the removal of the the backing plates which means quite a bit of the cabinetry in the galley and nav station areas has to be dismantled first.

        Are you going to refit the original tracks or replace it with a new one?  I want to replace the old genoa cars but haven't decided yet whether to replace the tracks. The old ones are a bit nicked up but probably still serviceable.

        Jim

        S/V Alegria

        CN 35 - 68

        >From: "Dale_&_Paula"
        >Subject: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
        >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:27:26 -0500
        >
        >Hello All,
        >
        >I am planning on removing genoa tracks on  "Celestine"  Nich 35 No.63
        >for the purpose of repairing blisters in vicinity of  tracks. I have a
        >pretty good idea of what is involved. I am looking for any "been there
        >done thats."
        >
        >Dale and Paula Beaver
        >"S/V Celestine"
        >Boston

        Dream of owning a home? Find out how in the First-time Home Buying Guide.
      • John's ntl account
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004

          It’s not a simple project, presuming the 35 is anything like my 26. The cabinet work under the deck isn’t half of the problem. The set-screws through the genoa track freeze and are very difficult of access. I had it done by a shipwright to a fixed price he’d set and he told me afterwards he wished he hadn’t quoted the fixed price! He ended up drilling out each and every set screw in the track. Good luck!

          John Milne C&N26 Ulana

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004

            Simon,

            Interesting your discussion on the raised deck section for the track. I was nearly positive that the deck area where the tracks are attached on my boat is flush with the rest of the deck.  Based on your comments, I will need to look at this more closely next time I'm on the boat.

            The attachment points for the stanchions however are definitely raised  by 1/4 inch or so.  I have about 3 areas of blistering around the stanchions, one of them happens to be at aft end of the starboard genoa track which will need to be removed in order to do the deck repair.  I will remove both tracks anyway for the purpose of resealing them.  The corroded aluminum plates embedded within the blistered areas obviously need to be removed but I'm not planning to embed new ones.  Instead, I want to use 1/4 inch 304 stainless steel backing plates underneath the deck.   Over the years, we've rebedded about 90% of the deck hardware and have been replacing the original aluminum backing plates with this same stainless material as we go.

            As for the deck repair work itself, I am planning to cut the damaged areas out and do the gross filling work myself and then have lined up a fiberglass expert to do the finish work, deck matching etc.  I'm not sure exactly how to retain the raised area under the stanchion bases but it seems like either a wooden or plastic insert placed under the final gel coat layer could be made to approximate the original.

            Jim

            S/V Alegria

            CN 35 - 68

            >From: "Simon Rayfield"
            >Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
            >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 10:58:39 -0000
            >
            >Jim, Dale & Paula
            >
            >I have this job to do as well and have been putting it off!  A 'liveaboard gypsy' I know (who was good with GRP repairs and colour matching), but have now lost contact with, did this job on a Nic 40.  I remember he told me that the primary problem was the encapsulated aluminium (which we all know about), more important was the fact that he replaced this with a substantial wooden strip.  I think he used teak as this is unlikely to expand or contract and also will not cause a chemical reaction in the GRP.
            >
            >Now, just throwing ideas into the pot - Has anyone considered removing the existing track and raised support section, grind the deck flush, make good the cut-out section with GRP.  Then get a shipwright to make a shaped, new raised deck section for the track to screw onto out of teak and bolt the whole assembly through the deck with a stainless steel underdeck backing plate.
            >
            >My concern with repairs of this type is getting an acceptable deck finish with the GRP after the repair.
            >
            >Simon
            >#42 Dediou

            Say �good-bye� to spam, viruses and pop-ups with MSN Premium -- free trial offer!
          • JIM TEIPEN
            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 1, 2004

              The genoa fasteners tracks on my boat pass all the way through the deck, narrow aluminum backing plates and are bolted.  The fasteners look relatively clean underneath so I don't anticipate any problem loosening the nuts.  Experience with other deck hardware however indicates that the hard part is likely to be freeing up the bolt after removing the nut.   Generally, a well placed blow with a hammer has worked for me,  but usually means damaging the fastener in the process.  In cases such as the chainplates where I definitely did not want any damage to occur, I've found loosening the nut most of the way, placing a socket over it and using a hammer on the socket works well.

              Jim

              S/V Alegria

              CN 35 - 68

              >From: "John's ntl account"
              >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
              >Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 11:18:14 -0000
              >
              >It's not a simple project, presuming the 35 is anything like my 26. The
              >cabinet work under the deck isn't half of the problem. The set-screws
              >through the genoa track freeze and are very difficult of access. I had it
              >done by a shipwright to a fixed price he'd set and he told me afterwards he
              >wished he hadn't quoted the fixed price! He ended up drilling out each and
              >every set screw in the track. Good luck!
              >
              >John Milne C&N26 Ulana

              Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!
            • Dale_&_Paula
              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004

                Jim,

                Our tracks have been off once before by previous owner who thru bolted with additional backing plate. I have jigs to hold tracks bent for removal. I think I’m sticking with the tracks we have. Other than the blisters we have had no issues.

                Dale

                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004

                  I had the same thought about replacing the raised section in the same manner you described.

                  Dale

                  #42 Dediou

                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004

                    John,

                    Thanks for the “pep” talk. I’ll quote myself a fixed price, then I can feel cheated and satisfied that I got a good bargain at the same time.

                    Dale

                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 4, 2004

                      Good luck Dale. I’ll be interested to see the result. Unlike you I didn’t feel confident I had the skills to take the job on (subtext, I’m not a great DIYer) so it was never a runner for me. I had the hull repainted too at a cost of £2000 sterling. But you should see how good it looks and that’s on a 30 odd year old boat.

                      Best wishes

                      John

                      Message 10 of 13 , Apr 15, 2004
                        I missed a lot of emails over the last few weeks so I am just now getting
                        around to putting in my two cents on the genoa track blister issue.
                        Depending on the year of the boat the tracks may or may not be raised on
                        either fiberglass, wood- or a combination of both, pads about an inch and a
                        half tall. That doesn't change very much the issue of the balsa core in the
                        deck and the repair procedure. My tracks were raised and I started by
                        cutting the pad off which was glass over mahogany. Under the top layer of
                        deck glass was an aluminum plate embedded completely in the glass. The same
                        type of construction was used under the stanchions. I assume these plates
                        were used to distribute the loads of all the fasteners to keep the balsa
                        core from crushing. I personally feel that a better method is to romove all
                        the core and make those areas of solid glass. It's strong and if fasteners
                        leak there's nothing to get ruined-just a minor leak below. One real mistake
                        is to cut a little core away while opening the affected area and stopping
                        when you see clean balsa:make sure the core is dry by testing by using a
                        meter, sometimes damp core can be detected by squeezing some core material
                        between your fingers. I'm sure some of you doing this repair have discovered
                        the above stuff, but I hope I have helped someone!

                        >From: "Dale_&_Paula" <beaverdp@...>
                        >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                        >Subject: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
                        >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:27:26 -0500
                        >
                        >Hello All,
                        >
                        >I am planning on removing genoa tracks on "Celestine" Nich 35 No.63
                        >for the purpose of repairing blisters in vicinity of tracks. I have a
                        >pretty good idea of what is involved. I am looking for any "been there
                        >done thats."
                        >
                        >Dale and Paula Beaver
                        >"S/V Celestine"
                        >Boston

                      • JIM TEIPEN
                        Message 11 of 13 , Apr 16, 2004
                          Stephen

                          I'm leaving for Hawaii on June 26th and was hoping to attempt this repair
                          before then. With other projects though, I don't know if there will be time
                          but we'll see.

                          I do not have the raised genoa tracks which thankfully should make the
                          repair easier, however, I will have to remove them in order to cut, fill
                          and sand certain areas. I have aluminium backing plates below deck and am
                          almost certain there are no plates embedded in the deck. The stanchions are
                          a different situation however. The blistered areas that I do have are
                          around the embedded aluminum stanchion plates. If I understand your email
                          correctly, these are inside that raised deck area just below the base of the
                          stanchion. Sound like it's necessary to completely cut around these to get
                          the corroded plate out. Did you then try to rebuild a similar raised area
                          when you did the filling and finishing and if so, how did you do it? Also,
                          how did you cut the deck layer? I was planning to try a rotary cutting bit
                          in a power drill but maybe there is a better way.

                          Finally, has anyone replaced the genoa track itself? Most tracks I've seen
                          on the market are straight while these are curved. Mine are probably still
                          serviceable but have been nicked in a number of places. Wouldn't mind
                          putting new on if I can find a suitable replacement.

                          Thanks

                          Jim
                          Alegria
                          CN 35 -68

                          >From: "Stephen Perry" <phrf201@...>
                          >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
                          >Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 23:33:59 +0000
                          >
                          >I missed a lot of emails over the last few weeks so I am just now getting
                          >around to putting in my two cents on the genoa track blister issue.
                          >Depending on the year of the boat the tracks may or may not be raised on
                          >either fiberglass, wood- or a combination of both, pads about an inch and a
                          >half tall. That doesn't change very much the issue of the balsa core in the
                          >deck and the repair procedure. My tracks were raised and I started by
                          >cutting the pad off which was glass over mahogany. Under the top layer of
                          >deck glass was an aluminum plate embedded completely in the glass. The same
                          >type of construction was used under the stanchions. I assume these plates
                          >were used to distribute the loads of all the fasteners to keep the balsa
                          >core from crushing. I personally feel that a better method is to romove all
                          >the core and make those areas of solid glass. It's strong and if fasteners
                          >leak there's nothing to get ruined-just a minor leak below. One real
                          >mistake
                          >is to cut a little core away while opening the affected area and stopping
                          >when you see clean balsa:make sure the core is dry by testing by using a
                          >meter, sometimes damp core can be detected by squeezing some core material
                          >between your fingers. I'm sure some of you doing this repair have
                          >discovered
                          >the above stuff, but I hope I have helped someone!
                          >

                          > >From: "Dale_&_Paula" <beaverdp@...>
                          > >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                          > >Subject: [campernicholson] Genoa Track Blister repair
                          > >Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 15:27:26 -0500
                          > >
                          > >Hello All,
                          > >
                          > >I am planning on removing genoa tracks on "Celestine" Nich 35 No.63
                          > >for the purpose of repairing blisters in vicinity of tracks. I have a
                          > >pretty good idea of what is involved. I am looking for any "been there
                          > >done thats."
                          > >
                          > >Dale and Paula Beaver
                          > >"S/V Celestine"
                          > >Boston

                        • Stephen Perry
                          Message 12 of 13 , Apr 17, 2004
                            The aluminum plates below the stanchion bases are actually below the level
                            of the deck layup, the raised sections, or "pads" are primarily resin. The
                            deck upper skin itself is quite thick and the alum. plates are integrated
                            right into the layers of glass with perhaps a few layers of material omitted
                            to maintain a uniform deck thickness. Perhaps in later years the alum.
                            plates were omitted in the glass under the genoa tracks, but don't be
                            surprised if you do find plates there. In my boat there were also backing
                            plates below deck, also of aluminum. I have not yet rebuilt the raised genoa
                            track bases but will construct something similar, probably leaving out the
                            wood and using solid glass. This business of encasing wood in glass is not
                            easy to do well-it's not quite the same as doing cored structures like
                            decks. Yes, all the genoa track material is straight and I made a bending
                            jig of construction lumber and 3/8 inch bolds to put a little pre-bend in. I
                            have seen many people bend and bolt-as-you-go but I do not like that method.
                            I did most of the fiberglass cutting with a skillsaw and cheap throw away
                            blades, sometimes I use steel blades and sharpen them with a file as they
                            wear down if I can't get cheap carbibe blades. Fibreglass is hard on cutting
                            tools. I nip away and fine tune areas with a high speed grinder.rigged with
                            production type abrasive discs. Soon I will be trying a roto-zip tool with
                            various cutters-I'm always searching for better ways. I do not find drills
                            and cutters or rotary rasps good enough for larger jobs although I do use
                            them for some things. BTW Jim, have a good time in Hawii!!!