Re: [campernicholson] Request for help from the U.K.

  • Thomas J. Stanton
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 19 6:55 AM
      Simon,

      Thank you very much.   Our boat was built in 1982.  The rigging was metric but the pipe may well be imperial.  I will measure this weekend.  What do you do in the U.K. where a pipe or fitting needs to be replaced;  they just can't pull out the whole system to switch to metric?

      Tom Stanton

      Simon Rayfield wrote:
      Tom

      I have spoken to a couple of plumbing suppliers here in the UK but unfortunately they cannot ship to the US.........However, if you tell me what you want I can get the bits and send them on!  But.........there are problems, read on!

      Compression fittings here in the UK are sized to the outside diameter of the pipe which is now in mm.  The threads connecting to fixed cylinders couplings, etc are classified as male or female iron, and are BSP (British Standard Pipe).  One thing to be aware of - it is likely that your boat will have been piped in UK imperial size pipe which will be in inches.  The standard UK pipe sizes are now 15, 22 and 28mm which are almost 1/2", 3/4" and 1" but not close enough to interchange. Without a doubt all of the coarse threaded plumbing connections (not the compression nut threads) will be BSP, that is not a problem, it is the pipe diameter that will need adapting.

      It used to be possible to get adapters in the UK for metric to imperial but I don't think these are available anymore - but I haven't looked for a while.

      I suggest you have a look at one of the UK on-line plumbing catalogues such as www.screwfix.com to see if you can identify what you need.

      Alternatively, let me have drawing of what you need and I'll try and suggest something.

      All the best

      Simon
      #42 Dediou
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 19 3:38 PM

        Hello Simon

        This is a slightly different discussion than plumbing fittings, however I was wondering if nuts and bolts with BSP threads are still available in the UK?  Some parts such as the chainplates, bow pulpit through deck fittings etc are BSP and I'm sure others that we have yet to discover.    In spite of extensive searching on the internet, the only sources I have found at all appear to supply cold steel parts for vintage British cars.  BSP threaded parts in stainless don't seem to be available.   We've learned the hard way that it is extremely important not to lose or damage these parts since they seem to be irreplaceable.  Just curious if you might know a source that ships to the US?

        Thanks

        Jim

        S/V Alegria

        CN 35  #68

        >From: "Simon Rayfield"
        >Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Request for help from the U.K.
        >Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 09:54:05 -0000
        >
        >Tom
        >
        >I have spoken to a couple of plumbing suppliers here in the UK but unfortunately they cannot ship to the US.........However, if you tell me what you want I can get the bits and send them on!  But.........there are problems, read on!
        >
        >Compression fittings here in the UK are sized to the outside diameter of the pipe which is now in mm.  The threads connecting to fixed cylinders couplings, etc are classified as male or female iron, and are BSP (British Standard Pipe).  One thing to be aware of - it is likely that your boat will have been piped in UK imperial size pipe which will be in inches.  The standard UK pipe sizes are now 15, 22 and 28mm which are almost 1/2", 3/4" and 1" but not close enough to interchange. Without a doubt all of the coarse threaded plumbing connections (not the compression nut threads) will be BSP, that is not a problem, it is the pipe diameter that will need adapting.
        >
        >It used to be possible to get adapters in the UK for metric to imperial but I don't think these are available anymore - but I haven't looked for a while.
        >
        >I suggest you have a look at one of the UK on-line plumbing catalogues such as www.screwfix.com to see if you can identify what you need.
        >
        >Alternatively, let me have drawing of what you need and I'll try and suggest something.
        >
        >All the best
        >
        >Simon
        >#42 Dediou

        Get fast, reliable access with MSN 9 Dial-up. Click here for Special Offer!
      • Ann & Roger Haggar
        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 19 4:02 PM
          Hi Jim, Forgive my ignorance on BSP/BSF nuts -bolts.
          A bit of background. En route juan de fuca-san francisco on my Nich 38 I
          found that the stern tube inner flange loose and securing nuts had run out
          to end of the 2 studs.- obviously no locking nuts!. I tried every spare nut
          on board without result so assumed that stud thread had to be something
          specifically Brit! I tried everywhere in San Fran and in Vancouver(home
          port) without result. I finally traced a source at Lallows Yard, Cowes I. O.
          W. and he had boxes of them! If we are talking about the same thing let me
          know.

          >From: "JIM TEIPEN" <jteipen@...>
          >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          >Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Request for help from the U.K.
          >Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 15:38:41 -0800

        • Simon Rayfield
          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 20 2:09 AM
            Tom

            Just measure up and let me know what you need and I will sort it out from here!  Shouldn't be too difficult to match up the bits and pieces, I have since done some more checking and imperial sizes are available, it is just a matter of looking for them!  If you have suffered a freeze-up, with luck,  you will probably only need a few pieces of pipe and some matching olives.