Re: [campernicholson] Hatches

  • BarryR8195@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Jan 25, 2004
      Spare what?
    • Kique
      Message 2 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004
        Rubber seals (two sets),handles (4 units), acrilics (2
        units) and stay (3 sets). It�s seem more easy change
        the complete hatches.

        Ah, there is a small serial? number on the aluminiun
        (J19 on one, I think)

        Thanks, Barry,

        Kique Morcillo
        CN35 #194 Defiance

        http://webhosting.yahoo.com/ps/sb/
      • BarryR8195@aol.com
        Message 3 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004
          The hatches were originally made by Canpa.  I think the company was affiliated with C & N .  It is now out of business, and exact replacements are not available.  I have replaced the acrylic in my hatches a couple of times.  It's not too difficult.  Just remove the old acrylic and use it as a pattern.  The arm holding the forward hatch open also died, and after much trial and error, I found a substitute at Sailorman in Ft. Lauderdale.--Barry
        • Peter Walzer
          Message 4 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004

            I replaced my Campa hatches with Lewmar hatches. I have three hatches from a CN39 for free if anyone wants them. There is a replacement hatch about the same size as the Campa hatch.

                        Peter

            Message 5 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004
              Message
              Peter:

              What sizes are the CN39 Hatches?
              Are the in good condition?

              Bob Horvath
              Grace CN35 - #18
            • Ann & Roger Haggar
              Message 6 of 16 , Jan 26, 2004
                Peter. Ialso have a Nich 38, HULL 118 and am thinking of changing the 2 deck
                hatches. Do you have the model Nos. to replace the existing Campa type?

                >From: "Peter Walzer" <pwalzer@...>
                >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Hatches
                >Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:31:57 -0500
                >
                >I replaced my Campa hatches with Lewmar hatches. I have three hatches from
                >CN39 for free if anyone wants them. There is a replacement hatch about the
                >same size as the Campa hatch.
                >

                > Peter
                >

                > _____

              • Peter Walzer
                Message 7 of 16 , Jan 27, 2004
                  Bob Horvath, Ann & Roger Haggar

                  The Campa hatches I replaced were 23 3/16 inches square. Lewmar model 60 low
                  profile hatch is 22 11/16 inchs square. The first one I replaced, I put in a
                  transition piece of white plastic. It covered the bolt pattern from the
                  Campa hatch and made the ID smaller. The second one I replaced I did not put
                  in a transition piece. I do not think I needed it. I made sure that the
                  bedding location was flat and smooth. Both hatches required buildup around
                  the opening to make it flat and smooth as well as filling in the holes where
                  the Campa hatches were bolted.

                  I recommend that you use "hatch tape" as a gasket material. It is much
                  easier to use than caulking and it seals well.

                  To Bob - The old Campa hatches I replaced are in good condition although the
                  plexiglass or whatever material it is, is cloudy. Only one of the "hold
                  open" mechanisms work. Two hatches have been removed, the third will be
                  removed this summer. If you want any of the old hatches they are yours for
                  the asking. I live in So. Jersey and boat on the Eastern Shore of MD if you
                  want to pick up.

                  Peter

                  Peter. Ialso have a Nich 38, HULL 118 and am thinking of changing the 2 deck

                  hatches. Do you have the model Nos. to replace the existing Campa type?

                  >From: "Peter Walzer" <pwalzer@...>
                  >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
                  >Subject: RE: [campernicholson] Hatches
                  >Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 09:31:57 -0500
                  >
                  >I replaced my Campa hatches with Lewmar hatches. I have three hatches from
                  >CN39 for free if anyone wants them. There is a replacement hatch about the
                  >same size as the Campa hatch.
                  >

                  > Peter
                  >

                  > _____

                  http://join.msn.com/?page=dept/bcomm&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn
                  .com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

                  Yahoo! Groups Links

                  To visit your group on the web, go to:

                  http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                  ---

                  ---
                • blue.nava
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jan 11, 2010
                    I don't suppose there are any Nic 35 owners in the UK who have replaced the Campa hatches either above the saloon or in the forecabinand yet kept the originals for some reason ?
                    I have a slight problem with one of mine and just maybe someone in the group has kept one that they no longer need. I would welcome hearing from you if you are that person.
                    Many thanks
                    Simon
                    Blue Nava 35 /177
                  • JIM TEIPEN
                    Message 9 of 16 , Jan 11, 2010
                      Simon,

                      I've replaced both hatches on my 35 and still have the hatches that I removed, however, I'm in the US.  I would be happy to part with either or both of them for the cost of shipping.

                      Jim
                      Alegria
                      CN 35-68

                      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jan 12, 2010
                        Hi Jim
                        Thank you for your response.
                        My initial reaction is what would that cost to ship to the UK - sounds frightening - do you have any thoughts perhaps ?
                        What prompted you to change the hatches, did it give you something extra over and above the originals perhaps.
                        Look forward to your thoughts
                        Simon
                        Blue Nava 35/ 177

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jan 12, 2010
                          Simon,

                          Yes shipping could be expensive, particularly since I'm on the West Coast of the USA.  I believe I can get some shipping estimates online and will let you know.

                          To answer your other question, we were initially motivated to change the hatches when we returned the boat from Hawaii to our home port in San Francisco Bay in the summer of 2005 and experienced some pesky leaks.  No leaks were major and, as it turns out, weren't coming from the deck hatches at all.  But we decided it was time to redo the headliner (which we always disliked) and to reseal all of the ports as well as the main hatch as part of that project.  As the first step, we replaced both hatches with Lewmar Ocean 60's in the Fall of 2005.  Then we did the headliner, ports and main hatch project over the winter of 2006.  There are some pictures in the group photo section under "Alegria Headliner Project".   Also, I have a .pdf file with pictures and more detail on the project that I could send, if you are interested.

                          Regards

                          Jim
                          Alegria
                          CN 35-68

                          To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                          From: blue.nava@yahoo. co.uk
                          Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:05:36 +0000

                        • john.gall@verizon.net
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jan 12, 2010
                            Simon -

                            I also have one, but am also in the USA - Boston area.  Based on what I saw at the US Postal Service website, shiping would run around $70 - $100 - guessing that it weighs between 15 and 25 pounds.  UPS seems much more.  I'm happy to send for cost.

                            Mine has a slightly cracked "glass" ( about 1/4" long, from memory)  and my local glass dealer was reluctant to tackle the replacement for fear of breaking the handles and related gear.  Plus he kept whinging about how expensive the lexan would be.  I gave and and went for the Ocean 60.  As with Jim, I found my problem was not the hatch.

                            I could cut most of the glass out of it, and perhaps reduce the shipping weight and cost if that is of interest to you. It is only taking up space int he basement at this time.

                            john

                            SKYE/CN35 #78

                            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                              From: blue.nava@yahoo. co.uk
                              Date: Mon, 11 Jan 2010 17:05:36 +0000

                              I don't suppose there are any Nic 35 owners in the UK who have replaced the Campa hatches either above the saloon or in the forecabinand yet kept the originals for some reason ?
                              I have a slight problem with one of mine and just maybe someone in the group has kept one that they no longer need. I would welcome hearing from you if you are that person.
                              Many thanks
                              Simon
                              Blue Nava 35 /177

                              Brian
                              Living aboard in Victoria
                            • colin@azure-consulting.com
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jan 13, 2010
                                Hi simon, sorry to hear that you have a problem with your hatches.

                                There is a place here in Kent which specialises in refurbishing marine 'windows' and hatches. Can't remember the name but they are based at Gillingham marina. Seaclear windows I think. There are some others in portmouth area too. Rgds. Colin

                                Colin Campbell-Dunlop
                                Azure Consulting
                                68 King William Street
                                London EC4N 7DZ
                                +44 20 7193 4232
                                www.azure-consulting.com

                                Message 15 of 16 , Jan 13, 2010
                                  Jim,

                                  Thank you for your reply, I think we should forget sending them

                                  In truth the problem I have is as follows -

                                  On the hatch in the forecabin one of the handles is very loose and no longer offering any downward force on closure. I do get some small amount of water leaking in as a possible consequence.
                                  Perhaps what I should be asking the group is how best to deal with this problem - maybe replacent is not infact required. The handle is held in it seems by a single screw which I assume self taps into the window casting. Because this no longer screws in tight ( in fact it won't tighten ) the handle does not perform as it should.
                                  Suggestions on a fix would be welcome, hopefully it is a simpler than I had imagined.

                                  Simon
                                  Blue Nava 35/177