RE: [campernicholson] Re: B&G vs Raymarine Autopilot

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 30, 2003

      Roger,

      Sounds like you have already checked just about every aspect of your pilot already including the replacement of some of the components.  I still do not believe there is a design issue, we have the same boat and essentially the same pilot and my experience with it has been very different from yours, for example the autotack and autogybe functions work beautifully.  Right after I installed the pilot earlier this year, I participated in a 400 mile offshore singlehand race where the pilot steered probably 98% of the time including strong upwind and moderate sea condiitions as well as lighter downwind conditions with spinnaker.  Since that time, I have had occasion to use the pilot in winds over 30 knots with no problem at all.

      As to your question on the ram run out time, I don't know if that could be a factor or not. I will check it the next time I am on the boat and will let you know.   I have the B&G Type I ram which someone informed me recently is actually manufactured by a Canadian company and licensed to several pilot manufacturers.  If you have the B&G ram, yours must be identical to mine.

      The only other thing I can think is that your pilot could be picking up some kind of electrical interference.  As the installation manual suggests, I took great pains to route the shielded cables, compass and computer components as far away from radios, starter motor, alternator, radar cables etc as I could get them.  Even so, I initially discovered that transmitting on my SSB caused the pilot to crash.  With some experimenting, I was able to determine that  the cable leading from the depth transducer to the instrument readout in the cockpit was picking up transmissions from the radio which caused the whole intrument network to crash which, of course, caused the pilot to crash.  With some guidance from a local ham radio shop, I was able to resolve the problem by simply placing ferrite beads on either end of the depth transducer cable.  Your problem symptoms are a bit different but you might try experimenting a bit with the placement of beads on the various shielded cables of your pilot installation.

      Good Luck

      Jim

      S/V Alegria

      CN 35 #68

      >From: "rogerbentonuk"
      >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [campernicholson] Re: B&G vs Raymarine Autopilot
      >Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2003 11:14:53 -0000

      Expand your wine savvy � and get some great new recipes � at MSN Wine.
    • Katie and Simon
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 31, 2003
        Kique,

        Buenos dias! and welcome to the Nic 35 group. At #194 your boat is probably
        very similar to ours (#202) so I'm looking forward to our discussions with
        you. Our boat originally had the VW Piranha engine but before we bought it
        the engine was change to a Perkins 4-108 which we're very happy with.

        Please send me some more details of your boat - the name, previous names,
        location, colour and anything else you'd like to tell us. I'll add the
        information to the list I keep - see attachment - if you have any
        information about other boats to add to the list please let me know.

        (Note to other members of the group - following a hard disc problem earlier
        this year I had to reinstall files from a backup disc, and I'm not certain
        that this is the most recent version of the list. If you see any errors or
        have any new data please let me know!)

        Happy New Year to you, Kique, and to all the members of the group. Fair
        winds for 2004!

        Simon & Katie
        Gin Rummy, CN35-202

      • Colin Campbell-Dunlop
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 1, 2004
          Dear Katie and Simon,

          Thanks for sending your list of owners and boat names for the Nic 35, it
          made interesting reading!

          You may recall that we had a chat via email a while back when you were
          thinking of selling your boat in Turkey. I can totally understand why
          you decided to keep her!

          My situation is that I have bought ''Trutz'' which is hull number 225.
          She is currently lying in Vilamoura Marina in Portugal and I intend to
          have her shipped back here to the UK where we will be doing a bit of a
          refit before sailing her in July on our honeymoon! You could say that I
          will incentvise the boat yard to finish the work on time.

          Just to fill in a bit of information, Trutz has the Perkins 4-108 with
          only 1100 hours. She was built in 1986 for a German called Hans Knuppel
          who sailed her from Campers Yard (where I will be mooring her) to
          Portugal himself. To say that she was fully spec'd would be an
          understatement. Spare sprayhood, loo seat, intercoolers, 4 autopilots
          etc etc. The description of her hull colour as ''dark red'' made us
          chuckle. It is actually a most unflattering brown which we intend to
          change to cream during the refit.

          Needless to say, we can't wait to get her back here to the UK. We
          complete the sale very soon and then I will make a general announcement
          to the group for information.

          I had a look down through your list, we actually see quite a few of
          these boats sailing in the Solent on quite a regular basis including
          Drifter (gorgeous boat) and Syrinx which now has very nice blue
          topsides.

          If we see any others which don't feature on your list I will do my best
          to remember to email you.

          Anyway,

          Happy New Year!

          Colin and Jo

[...]

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        • Katie and Simon
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
            Colin,

            Congratulations on your new boat! What a wonderful way to start the New
            Year. Thanks also for the information - I'll update my list and re-issue it
            in a few days when I've collected all the replies.

            Bye-the-way, I'm not sure if you realised that by replying to my note you
            also replied to the CN group. So don't be surprised if you get some replies
            from the other members.

            I'll look forward to hearing about your progress with Trutz. Please involve
            us all if you have any questions.

            http://www.msn.co.uk/messenger
          • Kique
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 2, 2004
              Hi, Simon and Katie:

              Name: Defiance
              Location: Sevilla (Spain)
              Color: Light Blue (will be change to white in few
              weeks.
              Year: 1980 (In Camper plaque).

              What about a Internet page for our group?

              Curiously, I read in Internet some days ago about my
              "new" Defiance, with a "ready to sail" ad. Now, I
              think that ready not meaning the same to seller and
              buyer...

              My CN need some extensive work to be ready for sailing
              (afther ten years of waiting for a good owner).

              Regards,

              Kique Morcillo

              --- Katie and Simon <katieandsimon@...> wrote:
              > Kique,
              >
              > Buenos dias! and welcome to the Nic 35 group. At
              > #194 your boat is probably
              > very similar to ours (#202) so I'm looking forward
              > to our discussions with
              > you. Our boat originally had the VW Piranha engine
              > but before we bought it
              > the engine was change to a Perkins 4-108 which we're
              > very happy with.
              >
              > Please send me some more details of your boat - the
              > name, previous names,
              > location, colour and anything else you'd like to
              > tell us. I'll add the
              > information to the list I keep - see attachment - if
              > you have any
              > information about other boats to add to the list
              > please let me know.
              >
              > (Note to other members of the group - following a
              > hard disc problem earlier
              > this year I had to reinstall files from a backup
              > disc, and I'm not certain
              > that this is the most recent version of the list. If
              > you see any errors or
              > have any new data please let me know!)
              >
              > Happy New Year to you, Kique, and to all the members
              > of the group. Fair
              > winds for 2004!
              >
              > Simon & Katie
              > Gin Rummy, CN35-202

              > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
              >

              > ATTACHMENT part 2 application/vnd.ms-excel
              name=Nicholson 35 list.xls

              http://search.yahoo.com/top2003