Fw: [campernicholson] Gas Cylinder Storage

  • Thomas J. Middelthon
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 23, 2003
      Hello !

      I have installed a purpose made plastic, gas proof container in the starboard locker. This is drained through a hull fitting just above the waterline on the opposite side of the boat. This arrangement works fine, but only includes the gas bottle which is in use, the spare bottle is still left in the locker. I use 5 kg composite bottles, they are quite big.

      Just heard a story from a friend. Ha had kept a new/filled gas bottle in his garage. Two weeks later the bottle was only half full..... Lucky for him he had not left it in the boat !

      This is why I now consider transforming the aft locker into a fully gas proof locker. Could then store gas, spare gas + gasoline for the outbard there. Must of course be drained.

      I do not think it is a good idea to drain into the cocpit. The gas will then gather there.... Better to drain it out of the boat !

      Thomas J. Middelthon
      nich 35 # 40 North Wind

      #42 Dediou

      ps I have also lost my sense of smell which doesn't help much!

    • Stephen Perry
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 15, 2004
        Just in case no one mentioned this in ref to gas lockers: they must drain
        directly overboard not into the cockpit. The top of the gas locker must open
        directly to fresh air although that requirement has a few particular
        exceptions when installed in a cockpit locker. You should get the
        particulars because a survey, if your insurance company asks for one, might
        cause you to get further repairs or alterations. Hope this helps. BTW: On my
        Nic, I plan on changing the helmsman seat to an arch top type seen on many
        newer yacht designs. This project will start soon and I'll keep all up to
        date.

        >From: "Thomas J. Middelthon" <middel@...>
        >To: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
        >Subject: Fw: [campernicholson] Gas Cylinder Storage
        >Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2003 20:35:32 +0100
        >
        >Hello !
        >
        >I have installed a purpose made plastic, gas proof container in the
        >starboard locker. This is drained through a hull fitting just above the
        >waterline on the opposite side of the boat. This arrangement works fine,
        >but only includes the gas bottle which is in use, the spare bottle is still
        >left in the locker. I use 5 kg composite bottles, they are quite big.
        >
        >Just heard a story from a friend. Ha had kept a new/filled gas bottle in
        >his garage. Two weeks later the bottle was only half full..... Lucky for
        >him he had not left it in the boat !
        >
        >This is why I now consider transforming the aft locker into a fully gas
        >proof locker. Could then store gas, spare gas + gasoline for the outbard
        >there. Must of course be drained.
        >
        >I do not think it is a good idea to drain into the cocpit. The gas will
        >then gather there.... Better to drain it out of the boat !
        >

        >Thomas J. Middelthon
        >nich 35 # 40 North Wind

        Tax headache? MSN Money provides relief with tax tips, tools, IRS forms and
        more! http://moneycentral.msn.com/tax/workshop/welcome.asp