blisters on my bottom (Dark Lady's that is)

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 18, 1998
      In the first stage of the great sandoff I discovered a lot of tiny blisters
      on my rudder. I have yet to sand the hull so I don't know what the hull
      awaits me. What is the blister situation with the rest of you/

    • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
      Message 2 of 6 , Nov 18, 1998
        Boy does THAT sound familiar! If you go to the marine surveyors site, hmm
        Penscoe or Pascoe,( I'll have to go look it up) you'll find that they come
        from not having the gellcoat inner surface perfectly clean before the actual
        fibreglass goes over. Not a bad problem...its NOT osmotic blistering.
        BUT to be on the safe side we opened them, washed, let dry and sealed with
        an epoxy and barrier/filler/fairing compound ( VC Watertite).
        I know at least one boat out this way ( was it you Alegria?) who went
        through this same problem.
        Don't worry, its not fatal.
        Denece

        PS Just be glad your great sand-off isn't 17 coats!!

      • Musik4u@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 6 , Nov 18, 1998
          Dennis,

          The last bottom job on Alegria was done about one year ago. We bought her in
          April and had her surveyed at that time including a haul out where the
          surveyor went over her with the usual hammer routine. There was no sign of
          any blistering. The bottom was as smooth as could be. The previous owner
          told me that he had never had any problem with blistering.

          Jim
          S/V Alegria
        • Musik4u@xxx.xxx
          Message 4 of 6 , Nov 18, 1998
            Denece,

            See my last post. I don't believe that Alegria's bottom has been epoxied. As
            far as I know, she just has bottom paint. Is there an easy way to tell if she
            has been epoxied?

            On another topic, we just returned last weekend from a three week cruise down
            to Santa Barbara and the Channel Islands. I think I saw an earlier post where
            you were headed down as well. On our way back up to SF, we stayed for a few
            days in Monterey. We fueled at the Breakwater Cove marina fuel dock in
            Monterey harbor where the attendant noticed the boat and said that one just
            like Alegria had been through a few weeks earlier. I asked him if it was
            Blue Pearl and this guy said he thought it was. We were wondering if this
            could have really been you or if the guy was pulling our leg.

            Jim
            S/V Alegria
          • Mitch Traphagen
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 18, 1998
              Hi All -

              We had some fairly serious delamination - apparently all steming from small
              blister repairs done badly. We discovered it two years ago and for this
              haul out, I decided to hire someone to peel the hull. They took off 1/16th
              of an inch (and 31 years of bottom paint, repairs, etc). I found a 1/4", 3
              foot long gouge about two feet under the waterline that had a less than
              perfect repair. That alone made the cost of peeling worthwile.

              We are now just beginning the process of putting on a new barrier coat.
              We'll probably have 6 to 8 coats of epoxy to put on. The nice thing is that
              we'll know exactly the condition of our bottom and since we're doing all the
              work ourselves (except for the peeling) we'll be comfortable with the job.
              Seeing our peeled hull brings that home - the only work you can really count
              on is the work you do yourselves.

              I'm definitely not complaining, though. Hetty has been more places in the
              world during her 31 years than most people have been - and in a week or two,
              she'll have a new bottom, ready to start all over again! I wouldn't trade
              her for anything.

              Mitch

            • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 18, 1998
                Eww, now I've put my foot in it.
                We are pretty sure that was her we saw on the hard in Nelson's old yard where
                she was pulled out for quite a while doing the pox cure. Unless there is a twin?
                Anyway, as you can see. The kind of pimples CN's get are just cosmetic.
                The website I mentioned earlier is at WWW.yacht-survey.com and the surveyor is D
                H Pascoe.
                That WAS us in Monterey! I have almost finished writing up the adventure...I
                guess I'm a bit more verbose than Dennis, 'cause its taking lots longer than his
                bigger trip!

                Denece