Re: [campernicholson] New member

  • WBV9803@sailmail.com
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 31, 2003
      Well Greg, we may take you up on the mooring next summer assuming we go ahead with shipping Blue Pearl to the East Coast. Look forward to putting some faces to these names sooner or later.

      Do not push the "reply" button to respond to this
      message if that includes the text of this original
      message in your response. Messages are sent over a
      very low-speed radio link.

      The most concise way to reply is to send a NEW message
      to: WBV9803@...
      If you DO use your reply button, be sure to delete
      the original message text and these instructions
      from your reply.

      Replies should not contain attachments and should be
      less than 5 kBytes (2 text pages) in length.

      This email was delivered by an HF private coast station
      in the Maritime Mobile Radio Service, operated by the
      SailMail Association, a non-profit association of yacht
      owners. For more information on this service or on the
      SailMail Association, please see the web site at:
      http://www.sailmail.com
    • alexswiderski
      Message 2 of 10 , Oct 4, 2003
        Hi everyone,

        I have just learned about this group. I have owned Probity,
        CN 40AC hull no. 6, built in 1979, since 1992. We sail out of
        Seward, Alaska spending time in Prince William Sound, Kenai Fjords
        and occasionally Kodiak.

        I too have VW engine which has performed well, although it is a
        little underpowered with a two blade max prop. I had the timing
        belt replaced at 3100 hours and now have 4100 so am planning to
        replace it again. I will have to do it myself as there is no VW
        diesel mechanic within 100 miles of Seward. I saw the messages
        recommending masking tape and marks on the belt which sounds like it
        should work but would appreciate any further insights on that
        method. I do have a VW shop manual for the engine but not the
        special tools.
        Message 3 of 10 , Oct 5, 2003
          Alex,
          IMHO, buying the special tools is worth the money. The belt should be
          replaced every 1000 hours (if it breaks you are screwed) so over the course
          of owning the boat, you will use them more than once.
          I used the two tools and a pair of feeler gauges and found the process
          manageable. You spent a bundle on the boat, don't skimp on tools.
          BTW, the Pathfinder dealer (John Sheer) is worth getting to know. He had
          good manuals and advice. If you ever need marinized parts (heat exchanger,
          etc) you will want to contact him.
          A couple of hints, even though it is a pain in the ass, be sure and remove
          the raw water pump and impeller every season. When I first checked mine, I
          was missing 2 blades. I also flipped the raw water route so the pump is
          blowing water through the oil cooler rather than trying to suck it through.
          Any questions, feel free to email me directly.
          email: dennis dash gibbons at worldnet dot att dot net