Re: [campernicholson] Windlass and side deck fitting

  • JIM TEIPEN
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
      The anchor windlass on my boat has a fiberglass hawse pipe from the open
      deck hole through the floor of the the forepeak to the anchor locker. There
      is a drain hose from the anchor locker which drains any seawater or rain on
      the starboard side maybe one foot above the water line. The forepeak stays
      dry but the pipe is offset more to starboard as opposed to being on the
      centerline. Unfortunately the chain tends to stack up on the sloping side
      of the anchor locker and then backs up in the pipe. It's necessary to knock
      the pile of chain over a couple of times in the locker when weighing anchor.
      If you have a partial pipe, I'm wondering if someone cut it off in order
      to remedy the same situation. If I were going to redesign the system, I'd
      make sure the hawse pipe drops the chain in the center of the chain locker.

      Jim
      SV Alegria
      CN 35 -68

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2003
        I took my gauge down to the boat and it is coarser than 12. For all I know,
        the thread could be metric.

        I had the S-L Hyspeed on my Nic. It set on the pad with a hole down into
        the forepeak. For offshore, I mad a cap for it to prevent green water
        below. If you have the chain there offshore (I disconnect and lower the
        chain) wrap rags around the chain to stuff the hole.
        email: dennis dash gibbons at worldnet dot att dot net
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2003
          Skye has the same setup as Alegria, except that the hawse pipe drops the chain in the center of the locker - but too far forward.  So one ends up with the same problem.  I've fitted a deflector board in that directs the chain aft a little, but one still has to knock the pile down once or twice when hauling the anchor up.

          John & Gail Gall
          SKYE
          CN35 78
        • BarryR8195@aol.com