Re: Welcome to campernicholson@onelist.com

  • Bob Vincent
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 24, 1998
      We had the Sea Panther, it was a 12 volt installation. Are you absolutely
      sure its 24? Ours was in sad shape and was replaced with a Yanmar which has
      worked out great for us.
      Check out the Hetty Brace site listed in the archives.. Sounds great! She's
      a 32 also.
      Good Luck!
      Denece
      PS I dont know when we'll be back online---we are off for the Channel
      Islands tonite!
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 31, 1999
        Denece,

        When I reply to this to say thanks, does this automatically appear in the
        published list to all?

        Kind regards,

        Tony
      • evatt@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 20 , Jul 27, 1999
          Thanks for the welcome to the C&N list.
          I have owned Circe , a Nic 31 for 14 years and have cruised on her to the
          Caribbean twice, living aboard for approx 27 months and racking up lots of
          sea miles in various conditions offshore and between islands .My home
          cruising grounds consist of the waters along the NC coast , sounds, and
          rivers. Over the years , I have added refrigeration, high output
          alternators, a windbugger, and various cruising gear. Most recently, I
          replaced the synthetic stuffing box which was always a royal pain to reach
          and maintain with a PSS shaft seal which I highly recommend.Also replaced
          the flexible coupling ,cutlass bearing and shaft while I was at it. I'm
          thinking about adding roller furling ( a ProFurl) soon but for the time
          being continue to use hanked on headsails. I have replaced all standing
          rigging in past years, switching to Norseman terminals while in the BVI's. I
          have replaced the crazed hatch panes on Canpa deck hatches with lexan and
          discovered a great caulk for use when trying to caulk lexan polycarbonate
          into aluminum . I have dealt with a lot of different maintenance issues over
          the time I have owned this boat and can hopefully add some insights and
          lessons learned to others in the group.
          Harrison
          Message 4 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
            evatt@... wrote:

            > From: evatt@...
            >
            > Thanks for the welcome to the C&N list.

            A live welcome to the list. There are only 70 or so of us on the list, but
            right now I think most have gone sailing. This list is very helpful to C&N
            folks and has been a real source of experience and
            advice to me regarding these beautiful and somewhat rare (in the US) craft.

            Again welcome
            Tom Stanton
            sv/ Discovery C&N 40ac
          • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
            Message 5 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
              Hello Circe
              Welcome. As You have noticed, this is not a real active list at the moment.
              I know we have been off a bit sailing (yay!) and in the yard for a week (no
              problems, yay again). While its quiet is a good time to wander through our
              archives, which for all their user-unfriendliness, have a lot of good info.
              Please feel free to add your info to our profiles and to the shared files
              area (which could really use some files!)
              I think we'll all be glad to share DIY with you....for instance what DID you
              bed that Lexan in? That is one of my next projects. Right now they look
              awful but don't leak so I have been holding off.

              Again, Welcome!

              Denece
              Your Moderator when she is not off aboard....

              Blue Pearl a 1978 CN 35
            • Harrison Evatt
              Message 6 of 20 , Jul 29, 1999
                Bedded the Lexan into aluminum Canpa hatch frame using a commercial GE silicone
                sealant called Silproof 2000. You can find info on it at the GE Silicones web
                site, but it is very hard to locate a supply. Only commercial building product
                distributors may carry it. A woodworker/boat repairer recommended it to me and
                also had a supply. It is designed to use with Lexan ( polycarbonate), unlike
                most of the marine silicones. The primary application is weathersealing in
                commercial building construction. It evidently forms a great, long lasting,
                strong seal. I have just completed my project 8 weeks ago, all is well; neat and
                no leaks. It has a longer tooling time than marine silicones and this allows you
                more time to get the job right.
                Harrison

                Denece &/or Bob Vincent wrote:

                > From: "Denece &/or Bob Vincent" <bluepearl@...>
                >
                > Hello Circe
                > Welcome. As You have noticed, this is not a real active list at the moment.
                > I know we have been off a bit sailing (yay!) and in the yard for a week (no
                > problems, yay again). While its quiet is a good time to wander through our
                > archives, which for all their user-unfriendliness, have a lot of good info.
                > Please feel free to add your info to our profiles and to the shared files
                > area (which could really use some files!)
                > I think we'll all be glad to share DIY with you....for instance what DID you
                > bed that Lexan in? That is one of my next projects. Right now they look
                > awful but don't leak so I have been holding off.
                >
                > Again, Welcome!
                >
                > Denece
                > Your Moderator when she is not off aboard....
                >
                > Blue Pearl a 1978 CN 35

                > You can WIN $100 to Amazon.com by starting a new list at ONElist.
                > Drawing is held each week through August 20. For details, go to
                > http://www.onelist.com/info/onereachsplash3.html

              • R. van Zoest
                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 3 1:32 PM
                  nice to come across this list , as its good to use a computer for the most
                  enjoyable hobby as sailing a nic 35.
                  we own horsefeathers, hull no 166 since 96. bought her in the caribbean and
                  cruised there for 6 months. we had her sailed back to the netherlands and
                  now cruise her on a holiday and weekend basis in colder waters.
                  >Welcome aboard the CamperNicholson list. The members of this
                  > list include those who own or sail a Camper and those who simply
                  > have an interest in one of the world's finest yachts. This list has no
                  > affiliation with the Camper Nicholson Company, we are a group of
                  > enthusiasts. However, we will be glad to furnish contact information
                  > if you wish to contact the builders and do not know how to do so.
                  >Be sure to let us know who you are and don't hesitate to ask questions.
                  >We are all in the same boat here!
                  >
                  >Now, Please take a moment to review this message.
                  >
                  >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                  >www.onelist.com, and select the User Info link from the menu bar
                  >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                  >between digest and normal mode.
                  >
                  >Please keep all posts on topic. If you fail to do so, you will be
                  >unsubscribed from the list.
                  >

                  >Thanks,
                  >
                  >Denece Vincent -sv- Blue Pearl CN35 #163
                  >The List Owner

                • Denece &/or Bob Vincent
                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 3 4:57 PM
                    Gee, Blue Pearl is hull #163 so we're close 'relatives'. Have you changed
                    much since you got her? I'm espescially curious if you've fitted a heater?
                    If so what type and where did you put it?
                    All Ears!
                    Denece
                  • stevan oswill
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 21, 1999
                      Hi Denece, thanks for the welcome. I'm a new owner of a CN32. I live in
                      Portland, OR and the boat is berthed in Astoria, OR.

                      I was looking through the message arhive and noticed a reference to Bodega
                      Bay and Monterey in one of your messages. I'm assuming the you must be in
                      the San Francisco Bay Area. I'm originally from the East Bay and relocated
                      to Portland about 20 years ago although my parents are still in San Leandro
                      and I visit them periodically each year. I sailed as a kid on the San
                      Francisco Bay and still have fond memories of those days.

                      I look forward to corresponding with other CN owners and picking their
                      brains about fixes/upgrades to my boat.

                      Do you ever take your boat to the San Jauns?

                      Stevan Oswill

                      >From: campernicholson-owner@onelist.com
                      >To: stevan_oswill@...
                      >Subject: [campernicholson] Welcome to campernicholson@onelist.com
                      >Date: 21 Sep 1999 15:25:30 -0000
                      >
                      >Hello,
                      >
                      >Welcome aboard the CamperNicholson list. The members of this
                      > list include those who own or sail a Camper and those who simply
                      > have an interest in one of the world's finest yachts. This list has no
                      > affiliation with the Camper Nicholson Company, we are a group of
                      > enthusiasts. However, we will be glad to furnish contact information
                      > if you wish to contact the builders and do not know how to do so.
                      >Be sure to let us know who you are and don't hesitate to ask questions.
                      >We are all in the same boat here!
                      >
                      >Now, Please take a moment to review this message.
                      >
                      >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                      >www.onelist.com, and select the User Info link from the menu bar
                      >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                      >between digest and normal mode.
                      >
                      >Please keep all posts on topic. If you fail to do so, you will be
                      >unsubscribed from the list.
                      >

                      >Thanks,
                      >
                      >Denece Vincent -sv- Blue Pearl CN35 #163
                      >The List Owner

                    • Mitch Traphagen
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 23, 1999
                        Hello Stevan -

                        Welcome to the list! Michelle and I live aboard our Nic 32, Hetty Brace.

                        Are you aware of the Nic 32 Association? It's quite active and they have a
                        great web site with a members only section that includes a ton of information
                        about our boats - everything from articles by C&N to technical drawings to
                        articles by owners who've made modifications, etc. If you'd like more info,
                        just e-mail me at hettybrace@...

                        Again, welcome!

                        Mitch
                        S/V Hetty Brace
                        Nicholson 32
                        Tampa, Florida

                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 23, 1999
                          Mitch, thanks for the kind welcome. I am aware of the Nic 32 Association and
                          have already asked for information about joining.

                          I've read about the exploits of your family and boat on the web and applaud
                          your efforts to follow your dream. I notice that in the specifications for
                          your boat that you have a 40 gal fuel tank. The tank on my boat is only 18
                          gal which is less than I'd like. What kind of fuel tank do you have
                          installed and where?

                          I live in Portland, OR and my boat (CN32 MK 10, "Iris") is berthed in
                          Astoria, OR at the mouth of the Columbia River. I already have plans to move
                          the boat to the San Juans for the spring/summer next year. Eventually I want
                          to take the boat south to Baja California and the Sea of Cortez. After that
                          - who knows.

                          Please keep up the web site for those of us who haven't yet managed to
                          escape the rat race. Buying this boat is the first step for me along that
                          path. I'm also in the midst of changing my career from full time employment
                          in the Information Technology field to consulting to give me more time off
                          to enjoy myself.

                          Please keep in touch and I look forward to hearing from you in the future.

                          Regards,

                          Stevan Oswill

                        • evatt@xxxxxxxxx.xxxx
                          Message 12 of 20 , Oct 26, 1999
                            I have a PSS shaft seal on my Nicholson 31. I don't see how a PSS shaft
                            seal can score a shaft. The shaft turns inside of the bellows part of the
                            PSS which is attached to the stern tube by hose clamps; the inboard end of
                            the bellows has a graphite
                            face which doesn't touch anything except the face of the stainless "donut" .
                            The stainless "donut" part of the PSS is held in position on the shaft by
                            allen screws set at
                            a 90 degree angle with two nitrile O rings inside the donut against the
                            shaft. The "spring" pressure of the PSS
                            bellows pushes the carbon flange end of the bellows lightly against the
                            stainless donut which is rotating with the shaft. The faces of the carbon
                            flange and the donut "seat" upon initial installation and form the
                            watertight seal.
                            There really can't be any scoring of the shaft, especially compared to
                            conventional stuffing
                            boxes/glands which rely on pressure of a flax or teflon material pressed
                            against the shaft to keep the water out. The shaft is always wearing against
                            the packing material in
                            a conventional stuffing box. I love the PSS. After 12 years of
                            contortionist stuffing box tightening, I 'm glad to have a dry bilge and no
                            maintenance on this hard to reach part. Check out the PSS web site.

                            Harrison
                          • Bryan Thiessen
                            Message 13 of 20 , Nov 14, 1999
                              Thank-you for the welcome message. I am the owner of a Nicholson 32 MKVII
                              "Slipper of Emsworth", living in the south of England. I learned of your
                              site from our Nicholson 32 Association site and am keen to take a look.
                              Regards,
                              Bryan Thiessen
                              >Welcome aboard the CamperNicholson list. The members of this
                              > list include those who own or sail a Camper and those who simply
                              > have an interest in one of the world's finest yachts. This list has no
                              > affiliation with the Camper Nicholson Company, we are a group of
                              > enthusiasts. However, we will be glad to furnish contact information
                              > if you wish to contact the builders and do not know how to do so.
                              >Be sure to let us know who you are and don't hesitate to ask questions.
                              >We are all in the same boat here!
                              >
                              >Now, Please take a moment to review this message.
                              >
                              >To unsubscribe from this list, go to the ONElist web site, at
                              >www.onelist.com, and select the User Info link from the menu bar
                              >on the left. This menu will also let you change your subscription
                              >between digest and normal mode.
                              >
                              >Please keep all posts on topic. If you fail to do so, you will be
                              >unsubscribed from the list.
                              >

                              >Thanks,
                              >
                              >Denece Vincent -sv- Blue Pearl CN35 #163
                              >The List Owner

                            • Steve Titcomb
                              Message 14 of 20 , Nov 17, 1999
                                Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'd appreciate information on how to contact
                                the yard directly. Thanks.
                                Steve & Elaine Titcomb
                                Owners of Nicholson 31, 'October'
                              • York-Miller, Michael
                                Message 15 of 20 , Nov 17, 1999
                                  Steve,
                                  The e-mail address for C&N Gosport, UK (which is presumably what you
                                  require) is:
                                  sales@... <mailto:sales@...>
                                  if you need their phone number I can get it for you.
                                  Mike York-Miller ("Vortex")

                                  Thanks for the welcome. Yes, I'd appreciate information on how to
                                  contact
                                  the yard directly. Thanks.
                                  Steve & Elaine Titcomb
                                  Owners of Nicholson 31, 'October'

                                  forms and passwords with just one click! Comes with $50 in free
                                  coupons!