Re] Re:WANTOK/in Mindelho-210303

  • svwantok@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 21 7:42 AM
      Jim,
      Tks. Yes the sizes of boats (both yacht and container), the to and from, and the person you talk to all seem to make a diffference, which is one of the reasons I thought I'd throw it on the floor . We all sail, a surprising number of us havelooked shipping at one time or another, and we also have pet boatyards.

      The input from all round is just great - it's like there is a life after this desert heap!

      Patricia and Wantok

      In a message dated 3/20/2003 12:45:43 PM Eastern Standard Time, jteipen@... writes:

      > Patricia
      > Very sorry about your boat.
      >
      > I once asked for quote from a shipping company for shipping a 36 foot
      > sailboat from Hawaii to California...a distance of about 2200 nautical
      > miles. They told me that the boat would need to go on the deck of a
      > container, that I would have to supply a cradle, plus have the mast
      > unstepped, secured on my own etc. The quote was VERY high.....around
      > $16,000 as I recall, according to them, due to the handling involved,
      > insurance etc. By comparison, the cost for shipping a car between the same
      > ports which is routinely just driven on board and carried below decks was
      > only $800. Needless to say, I didn't do it at that price.
      >
      > Not encouraging but possibly your insurance carrier can negotiate a
      > reasonable shipping price.
      >
      > Jim
      > SV Alegria
      > CN 35 #68
      >

      > >From: Tony Howard <tony@...>
      > >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > >CC: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
      > >Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Re:WANTOK/in Mindelho-200303
      > >Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:47:22 -0800

      > Subj: Re: [campernicholson] Re:WANTOK/in Mindelho-200303
      > Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 15:47:22 -0800
      > From: Tony Howard <tony@...>
      > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      > Cc: <campernicholson@yahoogroups.com>
      > My sympathies.
      >
      > I am not sure if a Nic 35 will fit into a standard shipping container
      > but I was pleasantly surprised a while back on the cost of shipping a
      > container from mainland Europe to E Coast USA - I think it was about
      > USD1100, including handling at both ends (port to port). The actual
      > distance does not make a big variation in cost.
      >
      > Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk.

      > Service.

      Patricia
      svwantok@...
    • svwantok@aol.com
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 21 7:46 AM
        Tony!

        Did it have a boat in it?

        What size container? yes they will cradle a boat inside a container, provided it fits inside 40' apparently. Mind you it's not always easy to find out who "they" are.

        What ports, what weight?

        You started something here!

        Chers, Patricia

        In a message dated 3/20/2003 6:47:22 PM Eastern Standard Time, tony@... writes:

        > My sympathies.
        >
        > I am not sure if a Nic 35 will fit into a standard shipping container
        > but I was pleasantly surprised a while back on the cost of shipping a
        > container from mainland Europe to E Coast USA - I think it was about
        > USD1100, including handling at both ends (port to port). The actual
        > distance does not make a big variation in cost.
        >
        > Tony H - www.yacht-judicious.co.uk.
        >

        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        Patricia
        svwantok@...
      • bluepearl@jps.net
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 21 2:06 PM
          Sounds truly horrifying, Our prayers and sympathies are with you, Patricia,

          Denece & Bob

          http://mail2web.com/ .