new member with question

  • Mark Phillips
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 24, 1998
      I am currently at the survey stage of a purchase of a Nicholson 32 and
      hoping to complete the deal in the next month or so.

      One query I have regards the engine installation. It's a Watermota Sea
      Panther that has been wired in (as all of that generation were, I'm
      told) at 24 volts. This means that with only two batteries on board,
      there is only one electrical circuit rather than the usual
      domestic/starting split. The current owners, who've had the boat since
      new in 1974 and taken good care of her, say they mainly lived by candle
      power for fear or that horrible silence when the key is turned at a
      critical moment.

      Are there others out there with similar installations and fears? Have
      people changed to 12V start/charge systems for that reason or re-engined
      (as I'm considering myself)?

      Other than that, I really looking forward to the boat.

      Thanks again,

      Mark P
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 24, 1998
        The Main advantage of the 24v system is to run large motors such as the
        starter or an anchor windless. Rather than try and re-wire down to 12v
        (replace starter and who knows what else) can you squeeze in another
        battery bank to have your engine/house setup and stay at 24v?