Re: [campernicholson] Nic 35 phrf

  • svwantok@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 2002
      Guess what Guys!

      As part of my pre-Atlantic tossing of papers (among other things), I found a 1986 PHRF rating for Wantok (then Independence).

      J - 14´05
      Beam - 10'6
      E(B) - 12'7
      I(P2) - 45'3
      P - 40
      LOA - 35', LWL - 26'9, draft 5'5
      Prop - solid 2 blade
      with 130% genoa
      mainsail
      storm trysail and jib
      BASE HANDICAP: 156 +6 for prop adjustment = 162

      - The handicapper noted that the MPS is NOT a legal sail (this refers to the asymmetrical spinaker).
      - There is no mention of a staysail (this, together with aft runners, was added later).

      The Racing Rating is 162.
      The Cruising Rating is 174.

      This certificate was issued by the New England (Cape Cod) Fleet
      on 18th April, 1986.

      Don't know how this compares to other people's recent findings. It is certainly similar to the 159 for Gin Rummy.

      But I don't know what modifications may have been made to the ratings' calculations since 1986?

      Hope this is useful.

      -----------------------
      I expect(?) to leave Las Palmas for the Caribbean at the end of this week. In the Canarias, 'manana' is the week after next.

      Anyone got any suggestions for where to land? I've lost track of who is where over the last little while.

      Cheers, and Happy sailing.

      Patricia
      svwantok@...
      cn35/210
    • JIM TEIPEN
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 3, 2002
        Patricia

        This sounds very similar to my PHRF rating. The sails and prop are similar
        on my boat except that I have both symetrical and asymetrical spinnakers.
        Prior to adding the symetrical spinnaker, I believe the rating was 159. With
        the symetrical and oversized pole (mine happens to be 15 feet or one foot
        longer than the J measurement) it went to 153. After I added the symetrical
        spinnaker the rating went to 150 which is what it is today.

        Jim
        S/V Alegria
        CN 35 #68

      • svwantok@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 4, 2002
          IJim,
          Interesting, as the boats are so far apart.
          Patricia
          cn35/210

          n a message dated 12/3/2002 2:19:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, jteipen@... writes:

          > Subj: Re: [campernicholson] Nic 35 phrf
          > Date: 12/3/2002 2:19:51 PM Eastern Standard Time
          > From: "JIM TEIPEN" <jteipen@...>
          > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          > Sent from the Internet (Details)
          >

          > Patricia
          >
          > This sounds very similar to my PHRF rating. The sails and prop are similar
          > on my boat except that I have both symetrical and asymetrical spinnakers.
          > Prior to adding the symetrical spinnaker, I believe the rating was 159. With
          > the symetrical and oversized pole (mine happens to be 15 feet or one foot
          > longer than the J measurement) it went to 153. After I added the symetrical
          > spinnaker the rating went to 150 which is what it is today.
          >
          > Jim
          > S/V Alegria
          > CN 35 #68
          >

          > >From: svwantok@...
          > >To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          > >Subject: Re: [campernicholson] Nic 35 phrf
          > >Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:55:24 -0500

          > Subj: Re: [campernicholson] Nic 35 phrf
          > Date: Mon, 02 Dec 2002 17:55:24 -0500
          > From: svwantok@...
          > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
          > Guess what Guys!
          >
          > As part of my pre-Atlantic tossing of papers (among other things), I found a 1986 PHRF rating for Wantok (then Independence).
          >
          > J - 14´05
          > Beam - 10'6
          > E(B) - 12'7
          > I(P2) - 45'3
          > P - 40
          > LOA - 35', LWL - 26'9, draft 5'5
          > Prop - solid 2 blade
          > with 130% genoa
          > mainsail
          > storm trysail and jib
          > BASE HANDICAP: 156 +6 for prop adjustment = 162
          >
          > - The handicapper noted that the MPS is NOT a legal sail (this refers to the asymmetrical spinaker).
          > - There is no mention of a staysail (this, together with aft runners, was added later).
          >
          > The Racing Rating is 162.
          > The Cruising Rating is 174.
          >
          > This certificate was issued by the New England (Cape Cod) Fleet
          > on 18th April, 1986.
          >
          > Don't know how this compares to other people's recent findings. It is certainly similar to the 159 for Gin Rummy.
          >
          > But I don't know what modifications may have been made to the ratings' calculations since 1986?
          >
          > Hope this is useful.
          >
          > -----------------------
          > I expect(?) to leave Las Palmas for the Caribbean at the end of this week. In the Canarias, 'manana' is the week after next.
          >
          > Anyone got any suggestions for where to land? I've lost track of who is where over the last little while.
          >
          > Cheers, and Happy sailing.
          >
          > Patricia
          > svwantok@...
          > cn35/210

          > Service.

          Patricia
          svwantok@...
        • JIM TEIPEN
          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 5, 2002
            Patricia

            Yes. Looking at one of Jeremy's lists, it appears that the very early boats
            had a slightly shorter mast and the last boats built had a taller mast.
            Everything in between appears to have the same rig dimensions and therefore,
            I would assume, approximately the same PHRF rating.

            Also, it's my understanding that PHRF ratings are somewhat specific to
            regions and the prevailing weather conditions. Our boats for example are
            going to do well in heavier winds so you might see a lower rating in regions
            with typical strong winds for example.

            Jim
            S/V Alegria
            CN 35 #68