New CN35 list

  • Katie and Simon
    Message 1 of 14 , Nov 11, 2002
      Hello all,

      Having received new data from various members of the group, most notably
      Jack & Crissie on Iona (many thanks), I'm sending out two new spreadsheets.

      The first is an updated CN35 list. Please feel free to get back to me if you
      can fill in the gaps!

      The second is a spreadsheet sent to me by Jeremy Lines, our voluntary CN
      archivist in the UK. It gives build data for most of the boats including
      original rigs, engines, and even prices! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. If you're
      not used to Excel do make sure you click on each of the tabs at the bottom
      of the screen to flip from page to page.

      Happy sailing!

      Katie and Simon
      Gin Rummy, CN35-202

      Message 2 of 14 , Nov 11, 2002
        Katie & Simon,

        A couple of updates for Luna Azul (#220) in your CN35 list:
        - hull color is dark blue
        - current location is Vero Beach, FL on our way to the Bahamas &
        Caribbean for the winter

        Thanks for sending out the spreadsheets from Jeremy. Most informative!

        Graham
      • nic35 <raoulb@erols.com>
        Message 3 of 14 , Feb 3, 2003
          Katie and Simon,

          Appreciate all the work that has gone into the CN 35 owner's list you
          have prepared! Jack and Chris Staats have been a great help as well.
          I have a list of all US/Canada Nicholson owners that is old (date
          unknown), but includes boat names, hull numbers, locations, and
          owners names and addresses that you don't list. Don't remember if I
          received the list from Jim Mann before he died or from Jeremy Lines.
          Also don't know if the same owners still have those boats, but I
          thought at least a list of previous boat names might be useful. Let
          me know if you are interested and I can forward the information to
          you. Nic 35 hull numbers I have information for include #'s: 7, 17,
          18, 22, 23, 33, 44, 51, 63, 76, 83, 105, 107, 117, 128, 130, 135,
          144, 179, 189, 205, 208, 212, 213, 215, 216, 218, 219 and 221. I am
          one of the few Nicholson owners (there are others)who has owned both
          a Nic 32 from 1974 to 1989 ("Bay Lady", hull # 296), and a Nic 35
          ("First Star", hull #99 from 1989 on).

          Raoul
        • BarryR8195@aol.com
          Message 4 of 14 , Feb 3, 2003
            Raoul--I don't know why we aren't on the list. We purchased Nic 35 #151 ("Wildflower") from Jim Mann in 1979 and have owned her ever since. The boat lived in Annapolis (with us!) from 1979-2001. We (and the Wildflower) now live near West Palm Beach, Florida. We still have the original Watermota Sea Panther engine/ Hurth gearbox. We finally converted the headsail to roller furling a few months ago. Contact us directly for more info. --Barry & Joan Roberts
          • RLZArmes@aol.com

              Message 6 of 14 , Feb 3, 2003
                Bob,
                Just wanted to let you know I ended up getting a PHRF from LIS to send on to
                AMERICAP for the rating for Marion to Bermuda. Dark Lady is entered and I
                will be dead heading her through Newport on the way to the race. I hope to
                see you. BTW, did you get "Arête" through Rich Hill? He was the broker for
                Dark Lady also. I saw the write up sheet on the boat and it looks great
                (especially the Perkins). Did you ever get in touch with the other Nic 35
                in the Naraganset?
                dennis-gibbons@...
                > Raoul, I have Nic 35 hull number 222 - named ARETE. She has been in the
                US
                > since her initial launching in 1985, and I have had her since 1999 - she
                is
                > based in Rhode Island. I would love to get a copy of the list that you
                have
                > of owners of other Nic 35's. Many thanks, Bob.
                >

                > In a message dated 2/3/2003 1:20:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                > raoulb@... writes:
                >

                > > Katie and Simon,
                > >
                > > Appreciate all the work that has gone into the CN 35 owner's list you
                > > have prepared! Jack and Chris Staats have been a great help as well.
                > > I have a list of all US/Canada Nicholson owners that is old (date
                > > unknown), but includes boat names, hull numbers, locations, and
                > > owners names and addresses that you don't list. Don't remember if I
                > > received the list from Jim Mann before he died or from Jeremy Lines.
                > > Also don't know if the same owners still have those boats, but I
                > > thought at least a list of previous boat names might be useful. Let
                > > me know if you are interested and I can forward the information to
                > > you. Nic 35 hull numbers I have information for include #'s: 7, 17,
                > > 18, 22, 23, 33, 44, 51, 63, 76, 83, 105, 107, 117, 128, 130, 135,
                > > 144, 179, 189, 205, 208, 212, 213, 215, 216, 218, 219 and 221. I am
                > > one of the few Nicholson owners (there are others)who has owned both
                > > a Nic 32 from 1974 to 1989 ("Bay Lady", hull # 296), and a Nic 35
                > > ("First Star", hull #99 from 1989 on).
                > >
                > > Raoul
                > >

                > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
                http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

              • Katie and Simon
                Message 7 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
                  Raoul,

                  Thanks for your message. Yes I'd love to have your information on the Nic
                  35's so that I can make the list as complete as possible. Please send it to
                  me at katieandsimon@...

                  From the replies I've seen to your note it looks as though it's time to
                  republish the list again! As soon as I've added your data I'll send it out
                  to the group.

                  http://messenger.msn.co.uk
                • Scott Thurston
                  Message 8 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
                    Do you know of the Nic 35 once known as 'Laissez Faire', onced owned by
                    Dennis Kasum, and sold in Annapolis circa 1984? i did my first offshore
                    passage in her, and she was my introduction to CN's. I'm sorry that i don't
                    know the hull number...

                    Scott Thurston
                    CN32 Penelope

                  • bluepearl@jps.net
                    Message 9 of 14 , Feb 4, 2003
                      Dont forget number 163 blue pearl, currently in la cruz, mexico, where the
                      internet cafes are less than ideal!
                      Denece Vincent

                      http://mail2web.com/ .
                    • nic35 <raoulb@erols.com>
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 6, 2003
                        Scott,

                        I do indeed know some of the history of "Laissez Faire", because my
                        brother owned that boat when it was known as "Excalibur"! The
                        history I have is as follows: Hull # 17 was exhibited at the 1971
                        Hamburg Boat Show and sold to Gordon Arey as "Aweigh". It was bought
                        by my brother in 1975, who renamed it "Excalibur". He sailed from New
                        England to Bermuda, Bahamas and the Caribbean on it. He sold it to
                        Dennis Kasum in 1983, who named it "Laissez Faire". We have
                        seen "Laissez Faire" in the Caribbean and in Annapolis since 1984,
                        but don'r know its more recent history. Raoul
                      • yachtbarabu <yachtbarabu@easynet.co.uk>
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 14, 2003
                          Hi

                          For a number of reasons Barabu has been "off air" for some time but
                          we have just downloaded your very interesting lists and will study
                          them to see if there is any information which we can add.

                          The only info which I can immediately put my hands on is the initial
                          price of Barabu #170 which, according to the invoice, was £28,444.44
                          plus extras of 3,079.50 plus VAT.

                          BARABU is presently in Lagos, Portugal with plans to head to the
                          Azores this summer.

                          John and Gill Macnab

                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "Katie and Simon"

                        • BarryR8195@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 14, 2003
                            Simon--Is the new C & N 35 list now available. Can it be downloaded? Where?

                            A number of prio e-mails discussed the NECO autopilots that were originally
                            installed in many Nicholsons, including the 35. NECO was acquired by Walker
                            marine Electronics and no longer makes small boat autopilots. They continue
                            to make autopilots for larger vessels.
                            Our NECO 692 died several years ago and we went to many boat shows looking
                            for parts and a repair facility and considered a replacement. We finally
                            found an electronics specialist familiar with the NECO autopilots and had
                            ours repaired at a fraction of the cost of a replacement. It continues to be
                            a wonderful autoppilot. Myles Marine Electronics in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
                            specializes in British electronics. The owner spent a number of years with B
                            & G (first in the UK and then in the USA) before starting his own service
                            firm. They have repaired a number of NECO autopilots and regularly service B
                            & G electronics. They maintain a small inventory of NECO parts (mostly used)
                            and both new and used B & G parts. Let me know if anyone needs more
                            information.--Barry Roberts
                          • Katie and Simon
                            Message 13 of 14 , Feb 21, 2003
                              Barry,

                              Attached is my current version of the list. Let me know if you can fill in
                              any of the blanks!

                              Simon
                              Gin Rummy CN35-202

[...]

                              Stay in touch with MSN Messenger http://messenger.msn.co.uk
                            • Paul Lewis
                              Message 14 of 14 , Feb 23, 2003
                                Just for the record Farewell CN35-228 is in fact a 1990 build according to
                                the plaque on the aft end of the cockpit and also as stated in the
                                registration papers. Her colour is claret.
                                Thanks for the list which I will keep on board and let you all know if I can
                                fill any of the gaps.
                                CN-35/56 Amaryllis of Thames I believe has now been sold as she is now in
                                Cowes on the Isle of Wight.

                                Paul Lewis
                                Farewell CN35-228