FW: Nicholson 35

    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 1998
      From: Stephen Perry [mailto:phrf201@...]
      Sent: Friday, March 27, 1998 10:02 PM
      To: dennis-gibbons@...; adrift35@...;
      101323.467@...; 72123.3172@...;
      nick@...
      Subject: Nicholson 35

      Hi,

      We were informed that you are all owners of the Nicholson 35. We are
      presently considering the purchase of a Nic 35 and are interested in
      hearing opinions of current (or past) owners.

      We are specifically interested in:
      1. Comments on the vessel's sailing ability under different conditions;
      2. Type of engine and drive gear in your boat (esp. if a Mercedes diesel
      with a hydraulic drive unit) and any problems you may have experienced
      with this combination and any difficulty obtaining parts/service.
      3. Any deck problems (e.g. delamination, cracking, weak spots)
      4. Any keel problems (e.g. water wicking through the resin fill mixture
      in the ballast cavity)
      5. If you have headsail furling, what type of system, approx. age of
      the furler and your opinions on its performance.
      6. Who is the manufacturer of your mast, do you have internal halyards,
      is the mast sound-deadened and have you noticed any problems with noise
      as a result of failure of the sound-deadening.
      7. If you have a windvane, who is the manufacturer and how would you
      rate its performance.

      Any other general comments would be welcome. Thank you in advance for
      your help.

      Stephen
      Perry

      Phrf201@...
    • Robert &/or Denece Vincent <bluepearl
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 30, 1998
        Hi,
        We have hull # 163 Blue Pearl a 1978 Mark 5 model, so do not have the
        hydraulic unit. And our worn-out Watamotor Sea Panther has been exchanged for a
        Yanmar 3JH, others may know more of the engine and tranny you ask about. We
        have a Sparlight Mast, which is now known as a Procter, I believe .
        It has internal halyards and styrofoam sound proofing, which is still doing a
        great job. We added a Harken Mark II, number 2 furling unit a couple of years
        ago. The salesstaff will try to sell you a Number one or 1.5, don't believe
        them! This boat requires the number two if you ever plan to furl in any kind of
        wind (we had a number 1 and tried it on all points of sail before giving up and
        getting the bigger unit a year later. Harken was good enough to work a 'deal'
        for us )
        So far we have seen no sign of any problems with the deck other than the
        occasional small areas of crazing at stressed areas ( like sharp corners, not
        near hardware-I just realized you could take that amiss! ) , which you would
        expect in any boat of this age that is unpainted. Ditto for any seepage into the
        keel ballast. The interior is pretty well gell coated in the lower areas where
        any water may be expected, less so in overhead areas.
        We find that she sails quite well. Much better than the recent Cruising World
        article would have you believe. Have you read the now famous Practical Sailor
        review? If not, you should.
        It seems that the American "fast is fun" mentality has overtaken cruising here,
        in British magazines you see a lot of cruisers in the older more sea-kindly
        format and the 'sleds' are relegated to race boats, where they belong.
        I notice the phrf in your address so will go on to admit that our phrf of 156
        may not impress you!
        If I cam be of further assistance, dont hesitate to ask.
        Denece