Re: [campernicholson] Digest Number 731

  • Bob Horvath
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 18, 2002
      I replaced the cutlass bearing on Grace also the hydraulic model last spring. I was able to tap it out about 1/2 " from the inside - then it got stuck (I think it was because the "rod" I was using started to wedge inside the front end of the bearing). In an attempt to loosen the "stuck" bearing, I put a pipe wrench on the 1/2 " sticking out and turned it (clockwise - I think)to try and loosen it up. Much to my surprise and delight, the bearing screwed out fairly easily. On close inspection of the inside of the stern tube, it appeared to have a very fine (as in not deeply cut) spiral cut into the inside.

      For installing the new bearing, I kept it in the freezer overnight and transported it to the boat in a cooler of ice. The cold bearing slipped into the stern tube very easily.

      Hope this helps some.

      Bob Horvath
      Grace N35 #18