Re: [campernicholson] Projects

  • Harrison Evatt
    Message 1 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
      Graham,

      Do you have a Lavac head?
      When you teed your washdown pump into the head intake line, did this
      adversely affect the operation of the head?
      Did you tee into the head intake below the waterline?
      Thanks,
      Harrison
      CN31
      Circe
      Message 2 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
        > Be careful of blocking
        > access to the through hull for the cockpit drain under the galley sink
        > (yours is there too, isn't it?). We thought of putting the Spectra in
        > there but putting in the new engine made the space open to the engine
        > compartment so it gets a bit of heat and stink going when we have far
        > to motor. I didn't think the WM would be happy in there.

        Our cockpit drains are connected to thru-hulls at the aft end of the
        engine compartment with access is via the quarter-berth hatch.
        You are right that it gets a bit warm under the sink, but I figured it
        wouldn't be too much of a problem. Ours is open to the engine already...
        I believe the Piranha is quite a bit wider than something like a Yanmar.
        Message 3 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
          > <PRE>Graham--I have two CQR anchors on my Nic 35. A 35# is at the
          > ready on the anchor roller. The second is a 25# that fits nicely in
          > the anchor locker on the foredeck. I also keep a couple of Danforth
          > anchors in cokpit lockers.--Barry Roberts C & N 35 #151 WILDFLOWER

          Ah... yes I had a suspicion it was too small for a #35. I was looking to
          add a second bow anchor (maybe a big Bruce) and was looking for somewhere
          convenient to stow the Delta. We also have a Danforth back in the
          lazarette.
          Message 4 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
            Patricia,

            The stern rails are fairly conventional wewre fabricated as a single unit
            without boarding gate, unlike the previous one... wanted them to be strong
            enough to support the davits! Chesapeake Rigging in Annapolis did a
            reasonable, if somewhat expensive, job.
            Since our crappy 13gal holding tank is already occupying the port v-berth
            locker, I'm reluctant to loose even more sail storage space. Oh how I
            wish I could rip that stinker out! The LectraSan is so much more
            convenient, and doesn't smell at all.
            Graham

            > Graham,
            >
            > You've certainly got your hands full !
            >
            > I guess the Spectra 2000c is a modular. I put a PUR 40 unit in the
            > starboard v-berth locker. Intake uses thruhull under v-berth, waste
            > goes to thru hull by the mast.
            >
            > The only anchor we have so far managed to put into the deck locker is a
            > CQR 35lb. The primary anchor, a Bulwagga 35lb, lives on the rollers,
            > even transatlantic (well-secured). It looks awkward, but is a real
            > gem, and comes Practical Sailor highly recommended since 1998 (when we
            > bought ours at the Annapolis show.
            >
            > Our exhaust is still OK, but I definitely keep an eye on it through the
            > back.
            >
            > I'd be interested to know more about your stern rails; I'd like to
            > extend a railing forward as far as the primary coaming winch. Would
            > also like to know how your davitts work out.
            >
            > Cheers
            >
            > Patricia
            > svwantok cn35/210
          • Tom C
            Message 5 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
              Graham, That space under the sink does get quite warm.
              Dream has a panel with insolation between that cabinet
              and the engine. A filter has been installed in the
              rear of that cabinet for fresh drinking water. do too
              the heat while the motor is running I have to run a
              few cups of water through in order to get cool cup
              water to drink. Relocating that filter to a cooler
              spot is on my list of things to do. This should save
              on water usage.

              Tom

              --- Graham Norbury <gnorbury@...> wrote:
              > You are right that it gets a bit warm under the
              > sink, but I figured it
              > wouldn't be too much of a problem. Ours is open
              > the engine already...
              > I believe the Piranha is quite a bit wider than
              > something like a Yanmar.
              > Graham

              http://finance.yahoo.com
            • fenton mallak
              Message 6 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                hi tom,the answer is no..you will have to take a least the rode out and
                it makes life easier if the anchor comes out also.
                missing MILLIE...gary

              • Tom C
                Message 7 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                  Hi Gary, If your talking about access to the pump
                  out, I may have had to nudge the rode to the side but
                  the anchor has not had to be moved. mater-o-fact I've
                  never have taken it out of the hole. The 35# Delta is
                  still on the roller and rides well there as long as
                  its lashed down. Hope all is well in Florida.

                  Tom

                  http://finance.yahoo.com
                • svwantok@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                    Tom,
                    I also have an insulated partition between engine and under sink.  looking into the compartment unde4r the sink from the cabin, on the left wall, from front to back, I have: fresh water filter, salt water filter, fresh water pressure stabilizing element
                    (can't for the life  of me remember what it's called).  The fresh water always seems to be around tank temperature, even with the engine running.

                    Patricia

                    Message 9 of 23 , Sep 1, 2002
                      Graham,
                      Thanks for your reply.
                      My stern rail is one piece.  The holding tank is also under the port v-berth (13 gall).
                      I have hung a sheet around the compartment behind the Lavac to keep off condensation, etc., and it holds foul-weather gear and other hanging jackets, as well as boots at the bottom of the liner.

                      The holding tank can be pumped out (when a facility is available), or pumped overboard offshore.  I use a variety of cleaners and deodorizers, but since changing all the pipes (when replacing the black bladder), odours have not been a serious problem, in spite of living aboard.  I have found it important to deodorize in the toilet all the time (one of those little bottles duct-taped carefully on the side of the toilet, so as not to interfere with the vacuum), and flush/clean the tank perhaps weekly.
                      Patricia
                      In a message dated 01/09/2002 3:12:33 PM GMT Daylight Time, gnorbury@... writes:

                      Patricia,

                      The stern rails are fairly conventional wewre fabricated as a single unit
                      without boarding gate, unlike the previous one... wanted them to be strong
                      enough to support the davits!   Chesapeake Rigging in Annapolis did a
                      reasonable, if somewhat expensive, job.
                      Since our crappy 13gal holding tank is already occupying the port v-berth
                      locker, I'm reluctant to loose even more sail storage space.  Oh how I
                      wish I could rip that stinker out!  The LectraSan is so much more
                      convenient, and doesn't smell at all.
                      Graham

                      > Graham,
                      >
                      > You've certainly got your hands full !
                      >
                      > I guess the Spectra 2000c is a modular.  I put a PUR 40 unit in the
                      > starboard  v-berth locker. Intake uses thruhull under v-berth, waste
                      > goes to thru hull  by the mast.
                      >
                      > The only anchor we have so far managed to put into the deck locker is a
                      > CQR  35lb.  The primary anchor, a Bulwagga 35lb, lives on the rollers,
                      > even  transatlantic (well-secured).  It looks awkward, but is a real
                      > gem, and comes  Practical Sailor highly recommended since 1998 (when we
                      > bought ours at the  Annapolis show.
                      >
                      > Our exhaust is still OK, but I definitely keep an eye on it through the
                      > back.
                      >
                      > I'd be interested to know more about your stern rails; I'd like to
                      > extend a  railing forward as far as the primary coaming winch.  Would
                      > also like to know  how your davitts work out.
                      >
                      > Patricia
                      > svwantok cn35/210

                      Patricia Smith
                      Message 10 of 23 , Sep 2, 2002
                        Our odor level dropped considerably when we installed a LectraSan MSD in
                        the hanging locker behind the head. Most of the time we treat and dump
                        these days... the holding tank sees little use since its such a stinky
                        beast. The loss of hanging space might be a concern to some, but we can
                        still keep the four weather gear in there, and I'm not sure I'd want
                        clothes next to those pipes anway!
                        Graham

                      • svwantok@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 23 , Sep 3, 2002
                          So far, since cleaning, painting and putting in new pipes and tank 3-4 years ago, I have no odor problems in that space.  Previously there was a smelly, black bag. POOH!  Pardon my ignorance, but what is a LectraSan MSD?
                          Patricia

                          In a message dated 03/09/2002 4:07:50 AM GMT Daylight Time, gnorbury@... writes:

                          Our odor level dropped considerably when we installed a LectraSan MSD in
                          the hanging locker behind the head.  Most of the time we treat and dump
                          these days... the holding tank sees little use since its such a stinky
                          beast.   The loss of hanging space might be a concern to some, but we can
                          still keep the four weather gear in there, and I'm not sure I'd want
                          clothes next to those pipes anway!
                          Graham

                          > Graham,
                          > Thanks for your reply.
                          > My stern rail is one piece.  The holding tank is also under the port
                          > v-berth  (13 gall).
                          > I have hung a sheet around the compartment behind the Lavac to keep off
                          >  condensation, etc., and it holds foul-weather gear and other hanging
                          > jackets,  as well as boots at the bottom of the liner.
                          >
                          > The holding tank can be pumped out (when a facility is available), or
                          > pumped  overboard offshore.  I use a variety of cleaners and
                          > deodorizers, but since  changing all the pipes (when replacing the
                          > black bladder), odours have not  been a serious problem, in spite of
                          > living aboard.  I have found it important  to deodorize in the toilet
                          > all the time (one of those little bottles  duct-taped carefully on the
                          > side of the toilet, so as not to interfere with  the vacuum), and
                          > flush/clean the tank perhaps weekly.
                          > Patricia
                          > In a message dated 01/09/2002 3:12:33 PM GMT Daylight Time,
                          > gnorbury@... writes:
                          >
                          >> Patricia,

                          Patricia Smith
                          WANTOK
                          CN35/210
                          (0034) 637-958-314
                          Message 12 of 23 , Sep 3, 2002
                            When we aquired our boat it came complete with a black bag. The really
                            weird thing about it was that there was a way to get stuff in (via the Y
                            valve), but NO WAY TO EMPTY IT AFTERWARDS!!!! Guess it was never used
                            and all head contents went directly overboard.
                            The LectraSan MSD ("Marine Sanitation Device") passes a large electric
                            current through the salt water flush to turn it temporarily into
                            hypochlorous acid, which in turn kills the bacteria in the sewage before
                            reverting back to salt water. After maceration and approximately two
                            processing cycles, the waste discharges overboard, with allegedly better
                            results than your neighbourhood municipal treatment plant. Its legal to
                            use everywhere except NDZs... and there is legislation being debated which
                            might make it legal there too.
                            http://www.raritaneng.com/Products/WasteTreatment/LectraSanMC/lectrasanmc.html
                            Graham

                            > So far, since cleaning, painting and putting in new pipes and tank 3-4
                            > years ago, I have no odor problems in that space. Previously there
                            > was a smelly, black bag. POOH! Pardon my ignorance, but what is a
                            > LectraSan MSD? Patricia

                          • Harrison Evatt
                            Message 13 of 23 , Sep 4, 2002
                              What is the current draw when you cycle your LectraSan?
                              Harrion
                              Circe
                              Nic 31

                              Message 14 of 23 , Sep 4, 2002
                                Depending on the salinity of the water (the Chesapeake varies quite a lot
                                depending upon location), its usually 25A to 35A. Run time is usually 1-2
                                minutes, again depending on salinity and current draw. You can assume a
                                consumption of roughly 1.0 - 1.5Ah per flush.
                                Graham