Radio antenna's

  • Cristina N. Staats
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 1998
      To: John Pownall "Zodiac Belle"
      From : Jack Staats "Iona"

      Welcome to the CN group John. You will find lots of talented owners
      with some great ideas. Congratulations on owning one of the best yachts
      available.

      Concerning your questions about what you should do about antennas while
      the mast is down:

      1. Replace the coax cable for your VHF radio (including the fittings).
      You have several choices when selecting coax. If weight aloft is not a
      concern, use one of the larger diameter coax such as Belden 9913 or
      RG-8. If weight is a concern then use RG8-X, it has a diameter about
      the size of a pencil and has a signal loss only slightly worse than RG-8
      for the length you are using. Do not under any circumstance use RG-58.
      There is too much loss of signal at VHF frequencies.

      2. Replace all the fittings with PL-259 connectors. Solder both the
      center conductor & the braid. Do not use the "crimp on" connectors for
      any reason. They corrode quickly!!

      3. Seal all coax fittings (PL-259's) with Co-ax Seal or similar
      product. Don't forget the connector at the base of the antenna and the
      hole in the mast.

      4. While at it, don't forget the coax running from the base of the spar
      to the radio. It's probably original and RG-58. Replace it with one of
      the above mentioned products. Seal those connectors also. If the bilge
      floods, you will still have a good antenna.

      For E-mail and weather fax reception there is nothing else needed at the
      top of the spar. The Weather Fax works off your Marine SSB radio.

      My wife and I will be in Annapolis the weekend of the sailboat show for
      the show and the SSCA Gam at Port Annapolis Marina. We would very much
      like to meet for lunch or coffee, at your convenience, to discuss our
      mutual interests in these boats and possibly get a tour of your
      "Project". Perhaps other CN owners will be there also. What do you
      think?

      Cris & I have been working on Iona for three years. We are about 96%
      complete. The remainder of the projects are cosmetic. We will have
      photos at the boatshow.

      Fair Winds, Jack & Cris KB8RJ & WD8KUR
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 2, 1998
        My wife and I will be at the show also. What day will you be there and how
        can we all hook up?