Re: Rigging Questions

  • Musik4u@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 1998
      John,

      The inner forestay on our C/N 35 Alegria connects to a deck plate just behind
      the windlass. The deck plate is reinforced from underneath the deck with a
      3/8 inch aluminum plate. This plate has been slightly notched out in order to
      fit around the windlass parts below deck. There is a short stay with a turn
      buckle connected to this underdeck plate and extending down through the wooden
      bottom partition of the forepeak storage area to another 3/8 inch aluminum
      plate which has been glassed on it's edge into the stem of the boat. The
      forestay itself extends from just below the masthead (steaming) light on the
      mast. It is in two pieces. When not in use the the longer part of the stay
      is stored along the forward part of the mast. In order to use it, there is a
      short detachable extension with a lever tensioner which is used. This set up
      was installed by the previous owner supposedly under discussion and guidance
      from the Camper Nicholsons yard.

      Relating to some of our more recent projects, we have just finished recovering
      most of the cushions on Alegria with a navy Sunbrella material. The main
      salon berths are done and we just finished all of the vee berths last night
      which just leaves the watch seat and the little padded thing on the front of
      the nav table yet to do. It's been a lot of work, mostly for Anne, but it
      sure does look nice.

      I'm wondering if anyone has had some experience with the Blake seacocks.
      Alegria has only two of the originals, one on the head inlet and the other on
      the head outlet. The head inlet was very difficult to turn but it took only a
      little WD-40 to make it right. The outlet is completely frozen in the open
      position which makes me nervous. I've tried various penetrating lubricants
      such as WD- 40, T-9 and Corrosion Block but can't budge it. Would anyone have
      any ideas here?

      Also, can anyone tell me if the 35's originally came with two deck hatches?
      Alegria has a large hatch in the forepeak area the base of which is raised
      slightly and molded into the deck . They only way this hatch could ever leak
      would be around the rubber gasket. The second hatch is over the dinette table
      with just a whole cut through the deck and the hatch glassed in. This leaves
      a seam at deck level which does leak and which I'm working on now. I can't
      figure out why CN would do it this way especially since the forward hatch is
      molded in. I can only guess that the hatch in the main salon was added at
      some point.

      Jim
      S/V Alegria
      C/N 35 # 68
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 2, 1998
        Regarding the Blake seacocks. When you haul in the Fall, Remove the
        compression collars and wack at the barrel with a rubber mallet. Next try
        penetrating oil. You do need to get them working, just in case.

        Re Hatches: I believe all came with two hatches with a third small one in
        the head an option (mine has one). They did have a raise molding. Perhaps
        someone wanted to replace the salon one with a bigger one? On my boat the
        hatch in the Main salon and the V berth are the same size.