Re: Rigging Questions

    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 31 5:18 AM
      Welcome to the group,
      So much for the niceties, now to business;

      I have both an inner forstay and running backstays and believe they are a
      must for offshore sailing.

      The inner forstay meets the deck about 4" aft the windless and amidships.
      This is still in front of the anchor well. The fitting is thrubolted and
      has a rod down to the hull where multisheets of plywood were glass in and
      the rod is bolted.

      The running backstays are kelvar line for light weight and ease of removal
      for coastal sailing. They meet the deck just in front of the jib turning
      blocks.

      PS: but US SAILING RECOMMENDATIONS FOR OFFSHORE SAILING and follow the
      guide for a category 1 race and you will have a safe boat. That is what I
      did to set Dark Lady up for this summer's trip to Bermuda.

    • Musik4u@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 1998
        John,

        The inner forestay on our C/N 35 Alegria connects to a deck plate just behind
        the windlass. The deck plate is reinforced from underneath the deck with a
        3/8 inch aluminum plate. This plate has been slightly notched out in order to
        fit around the windlass parts below deck. There is a short stay with a turn
        buckle connected to this underdeck plate and extending down through the wooden
        bottom partition of the forepeak storage area to another 3/8 inch aluminum
        plate which has been glassed on it's edge into the stem of the boat. The
        forestay itself extends from just below the masthead (steaming) light on the
        mast. It is in two pieces. When not in use the the longer part of the stay
        is stored along the forward part of the mast. In order to use it, there is a
        short detachable extension with a lever tensioner which is used. This set up
        was installed by the previous owner supposedly under discussion and guidance
        from the Camper Nicholsons yard.

        Relating to some of our more recent projects, we have just finished recovering
        most of the cushions on Alegria with a navy Sunbrella material. The main
        salon berths are done and we just finished all of the vee berths last night
        which just leaves the watch seat and the little padded thing on the front of
        the nav table yet to do. It's been a lot of work, mostly for Anne, but it
        sure does look nice.

        I'm wondering if anyone has had some experience with the Blake seacocks.
        Alegria has only two of the originals, one on the head inlet and the other on
        the head outlet. The head inlet was very difficult to turn but it took only a
        little WD-40 to make it right. The outlet is completely frozen in the open
        position which makes me nervous. I've tried various penetrating lubricants
        such as WD- 40, T-9 and Corrosion Block but can't budge it. Would anyone have
        any ideas here?

        Also, can anyone tell me if the 35's originally came with two deck hatches?
        Alegria has a large hatch in the forepeak area the base of which is raised
        slightly and molded into the deck . They only way this hatch could ever leak
        would be around the rubber gasket. The second hatch is over the dinette table
        with just a whole cut through the deck and the hatch glassed in. This leaves
        a seam at deck level which does leak and which I'm working on now. I can't
        figure out why CN would do it this way especially since the forward hatch is
        molded in. I can only guess that the hatch in the main salon was added at
        some point.

        Jim
        S/V Alegria
        C/N 35 # 68
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 2, 1998
          Regarding the Blake seacocks. When you haul in the Fall, Remove the
          compression collars and wack at the barrel with a rubber mallet. Next try
          penetrating oil. You do need to get them working, just in case.

          Re Hatches: I believe all came with two hatches with a third small one in
          the head an option (mine has one). They did have a raise molding. Perhaps
          someone wanted to replace the salon one with a bigger one? On my boat the
          hatch in the Main salon and the V berth are the same size.