RE: [campernicholson] Backing Plates

  • pwalzer
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2002
      Al - Where does one get G-10?

      Thank you.

      Peter

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Albert G. Boyce [mailto:aboyce@...]
      Sent: Wednesday, August 14, 2002 8:33 AM
      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [campernicholson] Backing Plates

      I replaced some of the aluminum backing plates with G-10 which is an epoxy
      fibreglas material that comes in sheets of varying thickness and sizes and
      can be cut with a sabre saw to the size needed. This eliminates the concern
      of future corrosion if a metal backing plate is used.

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 19, 2002
        Peter

        I ordered it from Ridout Plastics. Here is their website.
        http://store.yahoo.com/ecomplastics/epglasmicnem.html

        I didn't use it for the backing plates for the chain plates, but I did use
        it for backing plates for the bow pulpit, the storm jib leads, and also as a
        backing plate when I replaced the seacocks and thru-hulls. You may want to
        check on the compression strength if you intend to use it for the chain
        plates.

        Al Boyce
        Discovery CN35 132