Exhaust

  • svlivelylady
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 3 7:42 AM
      Thanks for your help on this. After your reply Barry, I was happy
      enough to go and start up the engine which I ran for a few minutes.
      On swithching off I removed the pipe at the elbow and there was no
      sign of any water so all good. There is a big loop in the pipe which
      I think will prevent any syphon effect and I will close the gate in
      any rough seas.
      Graham we plan to splash the boat around the end sept and move
      aboard. We are living and working in the BVI right now and so will be
      on the dock/weekending until the end of next July when we may well
      sail down Island for the summer.Do let us know if you are passing
      through or need any info/local knowledge...
      Cheers
      Steve&Sue
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 5 5:08 AM
        I expect we'll be in the BVIs somewhen between Feb-May. We don't really
        have a detailed itinerary, but will have email access to keep in contact
        and monitor this group's traffic.
        regards
        Graham

      • teipenj <jteipen@msn.com>
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2003
          Has anyone had any experience with replacing their exhaust system? I
          have the Perkins 4-108 and hydraulic drive with what I am assuming is
          the original standpipe style muffler where the dry exhaust and raw
          water are mixed together in the muffler and the wet exhaust goes
          out. Looks like I'm starting to get some water on the dry exhaust
          side which I'm guessing means that something has corroded through in
          the muffler allowing water to go where it shouldn't.

          I've done some searching of the usual sources but can't find anything
          close to being a replacement of my current muffler. Looks like I
          might need to replumb everything adding the raw water to the exhaust
          first and then taking it through one of the fiberglass water lift
          type mufflers on the market.

          I'd be curious to know how others have approached this.

          Jim
          S/V Alegria
          CN 35 - #68