Re: [campernicholson] Anchor rode

  • Harrison Evatt
    Message 1 of 4 , May 28 4:06 PM
      I believe that someone has altered your boat . First , I have a windlass in the hinged anchor well but i can still store the secondary rode in this area. .On my boat  which is hull #8, there is an anchor rode locker at the forward end of the V berth. This area is separated from the v berth by a small bulkhead with an opening approx. 12" x 20" . No chain or rode goes beneath the V berth. There are 2 cabinets with hinged doors mounted on the top inside of this same bulkhead.The filler piece for the v -berth hangs over this opening although I have made a separate panel to do the same thing. When I haul in the rope and chain, I wash the mud off of the chain as I haul in the anchor. Very little mud goes down into the locker, so little smell accumulates.  I have 3 fiberglass bins beneath the v berth cushions, one center bin,one port and one starboard bin. I store a variety of things in these . I believe a previous owner modified your boat to add more chain storage. I actually have the construction blueprints on my boat and the prints coincide with the above description. Send me a fax number and I'll fax you a drawing.
      harrison
      Message 2 of 4 , May 29 7:28 AM
        Harrison,
        Thanks for e-mailing the drawings of your boat. Your explanation and the drawings solved the riddle. I believe a prior owner made the modification to move the heavy weight of all chain rode nearer the center of the boat. We have considered changing to all chain prior to cruising in areas of coral, but your suggestion of 45' of chain with the balance in nylon makes more sense and eliminates all that extra weight.
        Thanks again for your feedback.
        Steve T.
        Message 3 of 4 , May 30 11:11 AM
          Just to confuse the issue further, I have a Nic 31 laid out as Harrison describes and store 300' of 5/16 chain in the locker and 300' of 5/8" nylon in the anchor well on deck.  I have (2) 45 Lb. CQR's stowed on the bow rollers.

          On passages I remove the anchors and move the chain aft to keep weight out of the ends.  This system has worked well for me for 10 years and I have had my boat from Maine to Venezuela and over to Guatemala.

          I pretty big on ground tackle I know but I use it all the time and I hate getting up in the wee hours of the morning.   I also have two 28 Lb. Danforths stored on each stern quarter with 200' of line on each. There's also a 75 Lb. 3 piece Luke stored below if things really get dicey.

          In all fairness I live on my boat full time and am underway at least 6 months of the year which may help to explain my overkill.

          Dan Hamilton, Nic 31 #119