Auto pilot for Nic35

  • rogerbentonuk
    Message 1 of 9 , May 12, 2002
      I am thinking about fitting a linear drive type (B&G type 1
      hydraulic) auto pilot to my Nic 35 and was wondering if anyone had
      any experience of fitting such a drive unit particulary on how to
      mount the drive unit and how to connect it to the rudder shaft.

      I was thinking that the quadrant does not look strong enought to take
      the drive so my plan is to construct a short tiller arm which would
      fasten on to the rudder shaft just below the quadrant using the same
      key that the quadrant uses.

      Roger Benton
      CN35 DOUCIER #86
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2002
        I have an Autohelm electric linear drive on my Nic. It was installed by
        Nicholson and I upgraded it to a 6000. My drive is connected to the hefty
        bronze quadrant and there has not been a problem. If you are cautious,
        Edson makes an arm for the drives.
        Let me know if I can be of any help
        dennis-gibbons@...

        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2002
          Blue Moon also has an Autohelm Type 1 linear drive. The quadrant features
          a large 1/4" stainless reinforing plate bolted to its underside in 4
          places, and a beefy arm (welded to the plate) protrudes downward and takes
          the input from the drive unit.

          The drive unit is mounted on a metal bracket, which in turn is bolted pads
          glassed onto the hull at the back end of the quarter berth.

          If I were doing the installation from scratch, I'd probably want to mount a
          separate Edson arm on the rudder stock. I've even considered retrofitting
          it this way, but the absence of any "spare key" means I'd have to cut a new
          keyway in the stock, and that really doesn't sound like much fun!

          Graham

          > I have an Autohelm electric linear drive on my Nic.  It was
          > installed by Nicholson and I upgraded it to a 6000.  My drive is
          > connected to the hefty bronze quadrant and there has not been a
          > problem.  If you are cautious, Edson makes an arm for the drives.
          > Let me know if I can be of any help
          > Dennis Gibbons
          > S/V Dark Lady
          > CN35-207
          > dennis-gibbons@...

        • rogerbentonuk
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2002
            Graham & Dennis
            Thanks for the info, I had a look at the Edson web site and the
            tiller arms look substantial and well made so I will enquire with the
            UK agent as to cost and availability. I am still thinking about how
            to mount the linear drive.

            Dennis, I would be interested in any info you have on how your linear
            drive is mounted.

            One more question - would you recommend the Autohelm (now Raymarine I
            think)?

            Roger Benton
            CN35 DOUCIER #86
            Message 5 of 9 , May 14, 2002
              Roger,

              I've had experience with both the old ("genuine") Autohelm 6000 and now the
              Raymarine ST7001/150G combo. Must say my experience so far with the new
              gyro assisted 150G has been nothing short of excellent! Where my old unit
              would wander around aimlessly (especially off the wind), the new one locks
              in solid and steers up & down the swells much like I would. You can of
              course lower the response rate to reduce power consumption, but even then
              it does a pretty good job.

              Unfortunately I've never had experience with the B&G pilot, so I can't
              really compare the two brands, but I would expence their system to be just
              as good. Get a gyro, you won't be dissapointed!

              Graham

              Message 6 of 9 , May 14, 2002
                Roger,
                The Autohelm type 1 linear drive, was installed by Nicholson. There was a
                lip welded to the quadrant and a base brace fiberglassed beneath the Port
                sail locker (adjoining the quarter berth in my boat). I could take some
                pictures with a borrowed digital camera if it helps.
                I used this all the way to and from Bermuda and was pleased with it. The
                hydraulic is no doubt better, but at a much higher cost. It depends on your
                sailing plans.
                Island to Island where the power requirements are not a burden; this is the
                way to go.
                Crossing an ocean; a windvane with a little tillerpilot for under power
                operation.

                dennis-gibbons@...
                > Thanks for the info, I had a look at the Edson web site and the
                > tiller arms look substantial and well made so I will enquire with the
                > UK agent as to cost and availability. I am still thinking about how
                > to mount the linear drive.
                >
                > Dennis, I would be interested in any info you have on how your linear
                > drive is mounted.
                >
                > One more question - would you recommend the Autohelm (now Raymarine I
                > think)?
                >
                > Roger Benton
                > CN35 DOUCIER #86

              • rogerbentonuk
                Message 7 of 9 , May 15, 2002
                  Dennis
                  Thank you for the information and the offer of taking some photos. I
                  am going up to our boat this weekend to try and measure up for the
                  pilot and determine how I might fit the drive unit so if next week I
                  still don't have a clue as how to mount the drive unit maybe I could
                  drop you line and take you up on your offer of some photos. One
                  thought though, our boat is of the earlier layout without the quarter
                  berth so I guess there are some big differences between our boat and
                  your boat in this area.

                  I made some enquires with Edson concerning tiller arms and basically
                  the price is between £250 and £300 so at that price I'll probably
                  make my own.
                  Many thanks
                  Roger Benton
                  CN35 DOUCIER #86
                • Albert G. Boyce
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 15, 2002
                    Roger

                    I have hull number 132 which is the same configuration as your boat. Does
                    your boat have the sprocket and chain drive set up in the starboard locker
                    for the original Neco rotary drive autopilot? The old Neco was not on the
                    boat when I bought it, but I have been considering installing a new
                    autopilot. I was intending to use the existing set up for a rotary drive
                    instead of the linear drive.

                    Has anyone on the list had any experience with fitting a modern rotary drive
                    unit to the to the original set up. It looks like it should be an
                    uncomplicated installation.

                    Al Boyce
                    Discovery CN35/132

                    Message 9 of 9 , May 16, 2002
                      Al
                      In our boat there is no sign of a Neco auto pilot ever having been
                      fitted so I am having to construct some form of mount to take a
                      linear drive.
                      Roger Benton
                      CN35 DOUCIER #86