Mast Wiring

  • teipenj
    Message 1 of 5 , Mar 5, 2002
      I'm getting ready to replace my old wind instruments with new ones
      which will include replacing the masthead unit. Has anyone had any
      experience with pulling new wire inside the mast? How difficult is
      it etc. Any advice would be appreciated.

      Jim Teipen
      SV Alegria
      CN 35 #68
    • Denece Vincent
      Message 2 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
        We replaced all the wires in our mast a few years back to bring them up to
        current standards. It added a lot of weight 'cause the old ones were way
        smaller! Best hint: Pull in a strong cord when you remove the old wire and
        use it to pull in the new one. The old sender wire may be weakened from
        exposure.
        We had our mast out when we did ours so it was a little easier. We ended up
        enlarging the exit hole since we added a radar unit and an extra light.

        Denece

        > any experience with pulling new wire inside the mast? How difficult is
        >it etc. Any advice would be appreciated.
        >

        >Jim Teipen
        >SV Alegria

        Email address changing soon to bluepearl@...
      • Mary & Stephen
        Message 3 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
          I rewired my mast about one year ago. I added wiring for an anchor light and
          replaced everything else. When the radar unit was added (before I bought
          Levity) the wire had been dropped down the mast and made noise at anchor. I
          had the mast out at the time so I added a second aluminum conduit and put
          all the wires in conduits, one conduit ended at the spreader for some stuff
          and one went all the way up. I used an electricians snake to pull wires
          through because the pull wires broke the first time around! Not too tough to
          do!

          Message 4 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
            Might I enquire how you secured the conduits inside the mast?

            Graham

          • mclarenR@aol.com
            Message 5 of 5 , Mar 6, 2002
              Second best hint:  coat the splice with dish detergent to make it slippery when you pull the messenger line through with the old wires.  Worked for me.
              --Richard McLaren
              s/v Dulcinea