Re: [campernicholson] Blakes Seacocks

  • mclarenR@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
      Yes, I used the Blakes Plus for the larger cockpit drain seacock, but no for the smaller heads intake.
      --Richard McLaren
      s/v Dulcinea
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 4, 2002
        > boats stay plugged in 24/7, but we do not.   While the Blakes
        > units in the head show some corrosion as do the units i cleaned up.
        > There is NO corrosion on the Apollo unit, which looks like I put it in
        > last week.   I am going to replace the cockpit units when we
        > pull Discovery this spring and I am going to ground these new units
        > also.

        I was planning on bonding all the new seacocks to the hull zinc as I fit
        them, so I guess this is encouraging news that it does appear to help.
        (Previously I was under the impression that bronze not in contact with
        other metal didn't really need bonding?)

        A few weeks ago I also decided to replace the main hull zinc, which was
        almost completely worn away. Having removed the old stump I discovered the
        gel coat underneath was badly cracked and had exposed some nasty voids in
        the laminate. One of the reasons it hadn't been replaced sooner was due to
        difficulty locating something of a similar size... this seemed like the
        perfect opportunity to fill in the old channel and fit something completely
        new!

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 5, 2002
          I'm a believer in non-bonding.

          BTW, have you found a source of new hull zincs? Anyone who does has a
          number of ready buyers as I am getting a bit tin and have none left.
          dennis-gibbons@...

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 6, 2002
            Unfortunately I never did find a source for hull zincs, which is one reason
            why I filled the recessed channel in and bolted on something altogether
            more "generic".

            Graham

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6, 2002
              Your solution may be the best. We may have found the UK supplier and
              Michael Davidson may have a fabricator her in the states.
              dennis-gibbons@...