Re: Blakes Seacocks

  • Thomas J. Stanton
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 28 9:30 AM
      Last year when our boat was out of the water getting a new mast, I removed
      and serviced all of our Blakes seacocks. Two in the head we replaced becasue
      they were in bad shape with units from Defender.

      The engine intake was also in bad shape but I wanted a 1" intake rather than
      the 3/4
      and it required a screw fitting at the top to make a hard right turn to the
      engine.
      Blake UK had such a model but it was special order and would take 30 to 60
      days.
      Reluctantly I went with an an Apollo ballcock. Since it had a ground
      connection and I was afraid it would not last, I connected the Apollo unit to
      the main zink standard 10 gage wire to see if it made much difference in the
      rate of corrosion. The boat has since been in the Chesapeake and mostly in a
      slip where most of the boats stay plugged in 24/7, but we do not. While the
      Blakes units in the head show some corrosion as do the units i cleaned up.
      There is NO corrosion on the Apollo unit, which looks like I put it in last
      week. I am going to replace the cockpit units when we pull Discovery this
      spring and I am going to ground these new units also.

      Tom Stanton
    • mclarenR@aol.com
      Message 2 of 16 , Mar 1, 2002
        Yes, I used the Blakes Plus for the larger cockpit drain seacock, but no for the smaller heads intake.
        --Richard McLaren
        s/v Dulcinea
        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 4, 2002
          > boats stay plugged in 24/7, but we do not.   While the Blakes
          > units in the head show some corrosion as do the units i cleaned up.
          > There is NO corrosion on the Apollo unit, which looks like I put it in
          > last week.   I am going to replace the cockpit units when we
          > pull Discovery this spring and I am going to ground these new units
          > also.

          I was planning on bonding all the new seacocks to the hull zinc as I fit
          them, so I guess this is encouraging news that it does appear to help.
          (Previously I was under the impression that bronze not in contact with
          other metal didn't really need bonding?)

          A few weeks ago I also decided to replace the main hull zinc, which was
          almost completely worn away. Having removed the old stump I discovered the
          gel coat underneath was badly cracked and had exposed some nasty voids in
          the laminate. One of the reasons it hadn't been replaced sooner was due to
          difficulty locating something of a similar size... this seemed like the
          perfect opportunity to fill in the old channel and fit something completely
          new!

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 5, 2002
            I'm a believer in non-bonding.

            BTW, have you found a source of new hull zincs? Anyone who does has a
            number of ready buyers as I am getting a bit tin and have none left.
            dennis-gibbons@...

            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 6, 2002
              Unfortunately I never did find a source for hull zincs, which is one reason
              why I filled the recessed channel in and bolted on something altogether
              more "generic".

              Graham

              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 6, 2002
                Your solution may be the best. We may have found the UK supplier and
                Michael Davidson may have a fabricator her in the states.
                dennis-gibbons@...