Opaque Windows

  • Rayfield Simon
    Message 1 of 26 , Feb 27, 2002
      A quick tip extracted from a compendum of US boat
      magazines....................

      Toothpaste will remove the opaqueness from cabin
      windows.......................polish hard on the exterior and bingo! .......
      almost totally clear again !!

      I can now see what is happening from inside the cabin, and I haven't had to
      replace the perspex.

      Regards
      Simon Rayfield
      # 42 Dediou
    • svwantok@aol.com
      Message 2 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
        Good thought!

        Unfortunately, mine are crackling inside, solution not so straight forward.

        Regards,
        Patricia
        wantok cn35-210

        In a message dated Wed, 27 Feb 2002 3:21:45 AM Eastern Standard Time, Rayfield Simon <simon.rayfield@...> writes:

        > A quick tip extracted from a compendum of US boat
        > magazines....................
        >
        > Toothpaste will remove the opaqueness from cabin
        > windows.......................polish hard on the exterior and bingo! .......
        > almost totally clear again !!
        >
        > I can now see what is happening from inside the cabin, and I haven't had to
        > replace the perspex.
        >
        > Regards
        > Simon Rayfield
        > # 42 Dediou

      • Denece Vincent
        Message 3 of 26 , Mar 1, 2002
          We have replaced every bit of "glass" on Blue Pearl due to that crazing of
          the interior. The key seems to be to mark inside vs outside when you take
          the panels to be cut (new acrylic has a UV coating that needs to be on the
          out side). And, of course, to make sure to get every it of old sealant out
          of the house and the frames, which takes a lot of elbow grease. Use a
          sealant made to stick to acrylic and gelcoat.
          If I can offer any other advice , let me know.
          Don't be afraid to do it.

          Denece

          Email address changing soon to bluepearl@...
          Message 4 of 26 , Mar 4, 2002
            Recently I was looking for some opaque colored acrylic, but I can't seem to
            find a convenient local source e.g. hardware store. Any suggestions
            where I should be looking?

            thanks
            Graham

            > We have replaced every bit of "glass" on Blue Pearl due to
            > that crazing of the interior.   The key seems to be to mark
            > inside vs outside when you take the panels to be cut (new acrylic has
            > a UV coating that needs to be on the out side). > Denece
          • Denece Vincent
            Message 5 of 26 , Mar 5, 2002
              We got ours at TAP Plastic, a chain store for builders and hobbyists. They
              have all sorts of plastics and you only have to buy what you need. You can
              also try the Yellow Pages of the phone book for Plastic or even glazing.

              Denece
              Email address changing soon to bluepearl@...
            • Scott Thurston
              Message 6 of 26 , Mar 5, 2002
                A good glass shop, esp. one that does commercial work (storefronts, etc.)
                can order from several colors and thicknesses. You may be required to buy a
                full sheet, and the price will undoubtedly scare you,. but they can do it...

                Scott Thurston
                Penelope
                CN 32
                > Recently I was looking for some opaque colored acrylic, but I can't seem
                > find a convenient local source e.g. hardware store. Any suggestions
                > where I should be looking?
                >
                > thanks
                > Graham
                >

                > > We have replaced every bit of "glass" on Blue Pearl due to
                > > that crazing of the interior.   The key seems to be to mark
                > > inside vs outside when you take the panels to be cut (new acrylic has
                > > a UV coating that needs to be on the out side). > Denece

              • Albert G. Boyce
                Message 7 of 26 , Mar 8, 2002
                  Denece

                  What material and what sealant did you use to replace the windows?

                  Al Boyce

                  Message 8 of 26 , Mar 9, 2002
                    We got acrylic from TAP , 1/2 inch if I remember right. Stuck it in with
                    Sika Tape; this is a misnomer as it is a silly-putty-like goop rolled in
                    narrow waxed paper rolls. You wont find it in any chandlery, but places
                    that work on boats have it. We lucked out that our favorite chandlers here
                    is also a full-service yard. a lot of the screw holes around our frames
                    were stripped so we refilled with epoxy and tapped them for regular little
                    bolts. The forward port was also cut out of flat plastic and force fit with
                    the goo. Hasn't leaked in 5+ years.
                    Make sure you get every bit of old sealant out !
                    Message 9 of 26 , Mar 9, 2002
                      I am looking at an asymmetrical spinnaker that has a 43' luff, 38'leech, and
                      a 27' foot. My boat did not have a spinnaker when I bought it so I don't
                      have anything to compare it with. I am wondering if the foot length is
                      appropriate. The luff is close to the length stated in the owners manual.

                      Al Boyce
                      Discovery, CN35 #132
                      Message 10 of 26 , Mar 10, 2002
                        Al,
                        I have a cruising spinnaker on my boat and measured the dimensions ( Luff
                        43.6' Leech 41.66' Foot 20.66' About 425 sq. feet). the previous owner
                        had used a Tri-radial with a Luff of 46.3' and a Foot of 25.3' which I sent
                        to Bacon sails to sell for me. Be aware, I have the taller (by 2') mast but
                        that will not effect the Foot.
                        dennis-gibbons@...
                        > I am looking at an asymmetrical spinnaker that has a 43' luff, 38'leech,
                        and
                        > a 27' foot. My boat did not have a spinnaker when I bought it so I don't
                        > have anything to compare it with. I am wondering if the foot length is
                        > appropriate. The luff is close to the length stated in the owners manual.
                        >
                        > Al Boyce
                        > Discovery, CN35 #132

                      • Katie and Simon
                        Message 11 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                          We plan to replace the perspex windows on Gin Rummy this spring. I'm considering the option of using glass (laminated?) and have a couple of questions for the group.

                          - I believe many of the earlier Nic 35's have glass windows (toughened, I think). Any pros and cons of glass that I should be aware of?

                          - Do any of the later boats have glass windows (post 1982, #202). I'm concerned to double-check that there were no changes to the deck moulds on later boats which may have introduced curvature to the window recesses.

                          Thanks for your comments.

                          Simon
                          Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                          Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free Find out more!
                        • JOHN LARSON
                          Message 12 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                            Simon

                            Our 35, Number 85 has glass fixed ports.  Not sure if they are tempered or laminated glass, but they all original and are perfectly clear and unscratched after 36 years, not something you can say for any kind of plastic I know of.

                            John
                            Passport, CN 35-85
                          • O. R. Armstrong
                            Message 13 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                              Katie and Simon,

                                For what it's worth:

                                I was at the Strictly Sail boat show in Chicago last week and discussed portlights with a representative at the booth of New Found Metals. I had seen their products advertised in Good 'Ol Boats. They make a very solid-looking opening portlight with tempered glass. I expressed my concern about opening portlights being substantial enough to handle boarding waves and/or 360s, but their product looks like it might do the job. The extra ventilation would be nice. The website is  http://www.newfoundmetals.com/

                                I explained to the representative that CN 35s have long, narrow portlights, and he said that while they can custom-build a portlight to fit, it would be very expensive, estimating $950. He suggested that it should not be difficult to do some fiberglass work to create two narrow rectangular openings, which could then utilize their "off-the-shelf" products at a much, much better price. Of course, doing so would sacrifice some of the sleek beauty of the Nick.

                                Russ Armstrong

                              --
                              "Make no mistake, tax cheaters cheat us all, and the IRS should enforce our laws to the letter." Sen. Tom Daschle, Congressional Record, May 7, 1998, p. S4507.
                            • Graham Horne
                              Message 14 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                                I am curious why folks are replacing glass on the side lites?

                                Anyway I need to replace the forward lite in the v-berth of my Nic 35
                                as it is not glass (curved) and it is crazed (all the glass is
                                perfect). My question is what thickness acrylic (polycarbonate) do I
                                need to use. I need to order the acrylic before I take it out.

                                Regards
                                Graham
                                Nic 35-138

                                --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "JOHN LARSON" <jsl-sll@...> wrote:

                                > Simon
                                >
                                > Our 35, Number 85 has glass fixed ports. Not sure if they are
                                tempered or laminated glass, but they all original and are perfectly
                                clear and unscratched after 36 years, not something you can say for
                                any kind of plastic I know of.

                                > John
                                > Passport, CN 35-85

                              • Katie and Simon
                                Message 15 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                                  Graham,

                                  To answer your question, we are replacing the side lites because ours are NOT glass. When we bought the boat in 1998 it already had acrylic or perspex windows. Not sure if they were original or a later change. When I change them later this year I'd like to be able to use glass.

                                  Simon
                                  Gin Rummy, CN35-202

                                  To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                                  From: graham.horne@...
                                  Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 21:45:49 +0000
                                  Subject: [campernicholson] Re: Windows

                                  I am curious why folks are replacing glass on the side lites?

                                  Anyway I need to replace the forward lite in the v-berth of my Nic 35
                                  as it is not glass (curved) and it is crazed (all the glass is
                                  perfect). My question is what thickness acrylic (polycarbonate) do I
                                  need to use. I need to order the acrylic before I take it out.

                                  Regards
                                  Graham
                                  Nic 35-138

                                  --- In campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com, "JOHN LARSON" <jsl-sll@... > wrote:

                                  > Simon
                                  >
                                  > Our 35, Number 85 has glass fixed ports. Not sure if they are
                                  tempered or laminated glass, but they all original and are perfectly
                                  clear and unscratched after 36 years, not something you can say for
                                  any kind of plastic I know of.

                                  > John
                                  > Passport, CN 35-85

                                  Beyond Hotmail - see what else you can do with Windows Live Find out more!
                                • E. Morcillo
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009

                                    Graham:

                                    Have you tried to give a vigorous polish to the front windows?. Usually,  small scratches are only superficial (and seems very deep, but not really, only dec. of milimetres).
                                    Here, there is some aviation products to do it: http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/scratchoff.php

                                    Perhaps, at www.transair.co.uk , in UK could be a similar product. In aviation world, this is a usual problem (and very very very expensive to change windshields ).

                                    Regards,

                                    Enrique Morcillo
                                    CN35 #194 Defiance

                                    <jsl-sll@...> wrote:

                                    > Simon
                                    >
                                    > Our 35, Number 85 has glass fixed ports. Not sure if they are
                                    tempered or laminated glass, but they all original and are perfectly
                                    clear and unscratched after 36 years, not something you can say for
                                    any kind of plastic I know of.

                                    > John
                                    > Passport, CN 35-85

                                    <*> Your email settings:
                                    Individual Email | Traditional

                                    <*> To change settings online go to:
                                    (Yahoo! ID required)

                                    <*> To change settings via email:
                                    mailto:campernicholson-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                    mailto:campernicholson-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                                    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

                                  • JIM TEIPEN
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                                      Simon,

                                      We resealed all of our ports a couple of years ago as part of a headliner replacement project.  Tho only plastic window was the one in the forepeak, which we replaced with new plastic.  All others were glass (the original I'm guessing) that we reused, sealing them with a clear silicone.  Laminated safety glass apparantly is able to flex quite a bit as I would estimate there is between a 1/2 to 1 inch curve radius forward to aft on the long side ports.  We took the opportunity to have the outside port frames re-chromed since quite a bit of the original plating was gone (not cheap but the results are amazing).  There are one or two pictures of the ports in the Photo section on the Group site.  I think the file is called Alegria Headliner Project or something like that.

                                      Jim
                                      SV Alegria
                                      CN 35 - 68

                                      To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com

                                      Message 18 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                                        Hey Enrique,

                                        How is Defiance doing?

                                        I checked back over my photos of the front lite and I think this
                                        cracking is quite deep. I suspect that with the combination of sun
                                        and the bending of the acrylic has taken its toll. I like your idea
                                        and the products you suggest (forgot you are a pilot) but it looks
                                        more like cracking and not scratches. Pilots have even more toys that
                                        yachties!

                                        Best wishes to you and your family
                                        Graham
                                        Nic 35-138

                                        --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, "E. Morcillo"
                                        <enriquemorcillo@...> wrote:

                                        > Graham:
                                        >
                                        > Have you tried to give a vigorous polish to the front
                                        > windows?. Usually,  small scratches are only superficial (and seems
                                        > very deep, but not really, only dec. of milimetres).
                                        > Here, there is some aviation products to do it:
                                        http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cspages/scratchoff.php

                                        > Perhaps,
                                        > at www.transair.co.uk , in UK could be a similar product. In aviation
                                        > world, this is a usual problem (and very very very expensive to change
                                        > windshields ).
                                        >
                                        > Regards,
                                        >
                                        > Enrique Morcillo
                                        > CN35 #194 Defiance

                                      • Graham Horne
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                                          Jim,

                                          Do you remember how thick the acrylic in the front lite is. I need to
                                          replace mine as well because it is very crazed. I like the idea of
                                          re-chroming the frames.

                                          Thanks
                                          Graham
                                          Nic 35-138
                                          --- In campernicholson@yahoogroups.com, JIM TEIPEN <jteipen@...> wrote:

                                          > Simon,
                                          >
                                          > We resealed all of our ports a couple of years ago as part of a
                                          headliner replacement project. Tho only plastic window was the one in
                                          the forepeak, which we replaced with new plastic. All others were
                                          glass (the original I'm guessing) that we reused, sealing them with a
                                          clear silicone. Laminated safety glass apparantly is able to flex
                                          quite a bit as I would estimate there is between a 1/2 to 1 inch curve
                                          radius forward to aft on the long side ports. We took the opportunity
                                          to have the outside port frames re-chromed since quite a bit of the
                                          original plating was gone (not cheap but the results are amazing).
                                          There are one or two pictures of the ports in the Photo section on the
                                          Group site. I think the file is called Alegria Headliner Project or
                                          something like that.

                                          > Jim
                                          > SV Alegria
                                          > CN 35 - 68
                                          >
                                          > To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                                          > From: katieandsimon@...
                                          > Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:15:20 +0000
                                          > Subject: [campernicholson] Windows

                                          > We plan to replace the perspex windows on Gin Rummy this spring. I'm
                                          considering the option of using glass (laminated?) and have a couple
                                          of questions for the group.

                                          > - I believe many of the earlier Nic 35's have glass windows
                                          (toughened, I think). Any pros and cons of glass that I should be
                                          aware of?

                                          > - Do any of the later boats have glass windows (post 1982, #202).
                                          I'm concerned to double-check that there were no changes to the deck
                                          moulds on later boats which may have introduced curvature to the
                                          window recesses.

                                          > Thanks for your comments.
                                          >

                                          > Simon
                                          >
                                          > Gin Rummy, CN35-202
                                          >

                                          > Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free Find out more!

                                          > See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are
                                          part of your life.
                                          > http://clk.atdmt.com/MRT/go/msnnkwxp1020093175mrt/direct/01/

                                        • JIM TEIPEN
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Feb 3, 2009
                                            Graham,

                                            I don't remember the thickness of the front window.  I took the old one to a local plastics shop who made the new one out of polycarbonate of the same thickness.  But I may still have the old one around somewhere, I'll try to find it and will let you know.  I reused the original glass for all of the side ports and am very happy with it.

                                            The frames are chrome plated brass.  In my case, the chrome plating had weathered to the point where the brass was showing through in a few places and the chrome was generally cracked and dull looking basically everywhere.  I located the plater by speaking to a local car restoration shop.  I originally had in mind to perhaps have them nickel plated, which the plater said he could do, but he recommended sticking with the original chrome plating saying that it withstands salt water much better.  As I mentioned before, I couldn't be happier with the results.

                                            Jim
                                            SV Alegria
                                            CN 35-68

                                            To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                                            From: graham.horne@...
                                            Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 23:00:13 +0000

                                            Jim,

                                            Do you remember how thick the acrylic in the front lite is. I need to
                                            replace mine as well because it is very crazed. I like the idea of
                                            re-chroming the frames.

                                            Thanks
                                            Graham
                                            Nic 35-138
                                            --- In campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com, JIM TEIPEN <jteipen@... > wrote:

                                            > Simon,
                                            >
                                            > We resealed all of our ports a couple of years ago as part of a
                                            headliner replacement project. Tho only plastic window was the one in
                                            the forepeak, which we replaced with new plastic. All others were
                                            glass (the original I'm guessing) that we reused, sealing them with a
                                            clear silicone. Laminated safety glass apparantly is able to flex
                                            quite a bit as I would estimate there is between a 1/2 to 1 inch curve
                                            radius forward to aft on the long side ports. We took the opportunity
                                            to have the outside port frames re-chromed since quite a bit of the
                                            original plating was gone (not cheap but the results are amazing).
                                            There are one or two pictures of the ports in the Photo section on the
                                            Group site. I think the file is called Alegria Headliner Project or
                                            something like that.

                                            > Jim
                                            > SV Alegria
                                            > CN 35 - 68
                                            >
                                            > To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com
                                            > From: katieandsimon@ ...
                                            > Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2009 20:15:20 +0000
                                            > Subject: [campernicholson] Windows

                                            > We plan to replace the perspex windows on Gin Rummy this spring. I'm
                                            considering the option of using glass (laminated?) and have a couple
                                            of questions for the group.

                                            > - I believe many of the earlier Nic 35's have glass windows
                                            (toughened, I think). Any pros and cons of glass that I should be
                                            aware of?

                                            > - Do any of the later boats have glass windows (post 1982, #202).
                                            I'm concerned to double-check that there were no changes to the deck
                                            moulds on later boats which may have introduced curvature to the
                                            window recesses.

                                            > Thanks for your comments.
                                            >

                                            > Simon
                                            >
                                            > Gin Rummy, CN35-202
                                            >

                                            > Share your photos with Windows Live Photos – Free Find out more!

                                            > See how Windows connects the people, information, and fun that are
                                            part of your life.
                                            > http://clk.atdmt. com/MRT/go/ msnnkwxp10200931 75mrt/direct/ 01/

                                          • William E. Roesner
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Feb 4, 2009
                                              John,
                                              I would doubt very much that portlights are of tempered glass. Temperd glass while being very strong is subject to unpredictable failure after an injury that could go undetected for any length of time. A small nick or scratch in the surface could result in the sort of failure typical for tempered glass,  when the glass goes white instantaneously and then falls out ( or in ) in the form of a pile of thousands of relatively equal small sized shards leaving the frame completely empty and open. This is just fine in residential or commercial doorways etc. but not what one should be looking for on a boat. These failures are the result of stresses placed on the glass from a fresh impact, or something as simple as sunshine on previously injured glass causing a heating condition and resulting expansion that stresses material differentially resulting in failure. Look instead for a heavy duty laminated glass that will stay in place when broken.
                                              Bill Roesner
                                              SV Blueprint
                                              CN 31-113

                                              On Feb 3, 2009, at 3:43 PM, JOHN LARSON wrote:

                                              Simon

                                              Our 35, Number 85 has glass fixed ports.  Not sure if they are tempered or laminated glass, but they all original and are perfectly clear and unscratched after 36 years, not something you can say for any kind of plastic I know of.

                                              John
                                              Passport, CN 35-85

                                            • jose pacheco zuloaga
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                Hi guys,
                                                there are  glasses that are used in windshields that are made of two glasses bonded together by some sort of glue, those are the best, in my opinion.
                                                Jose

                                                To: campernicholson@yahoogroups.com
                                                From: blueprintbill@...
                                                Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 22:40:56 -0500

[...]

                                                Get 5 GB of storage with Windows Live Hotmail. Sign up today.
                                              • Albert Boyce
                                                Message 23 of 26 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                  If breaking in to thousand little pieces is a characteristic of tempered glass, then that was what was originally in my 35, #132. I took the glass out to rebed and dropped it  It disintegrated.  Anyway, replaced them all with lexan which has held up well over the last five years with no scratches or other imperfections. Bedded them with a GE product recommended by the platics shop andcthere have been no leaks.

                                                  Sent from my iPhone

                                                  To: campernicholson@ yahoogroups. com

                                                  Message 24 of 26 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                    Hi Bill

                                                    Actually, I think they are tempered.  It seems there's a little symbol on them and it says something about tempered glass.  Tempered glass is really strong unless hit on the edge, which I'm sure you already knew.  I suppose C & N thought that the edge was well enough protected not to be a problem.

                                                    When we get to Maine next summer, I'll check.

                                                    John
                                                    Passport, CN 35 #85
                                                  • William E. Roesner
                                                    Message 25 of 26 , Feb 5, 2009
                                                      John,
                                                      I'm surprised C & N would have used tempered glass. It's not just the edge that's vulnerable, it can also be a surface injury. There is a visual identifier of tempered at least in larger pieces, and that is the 'tong' marks on at least one edge, where tongs are stuck into the glass in the oven while it is still semi molten, to pull it out of the fire. You will see little dents in the surface 6" to a foot a part.
                                                      One other characteristic of the material is that it cannot be cut or ground after tempering,... it will shatter.  Each piece is custom sized and cut before being put in the oven. This accounts for the higher cost of the product.
                                                      See you down east.
                                                      Cheers,
                                                      Bill
                                                      CN31-113
                                                      Blueprint

                                                      Message 26 of 26 , Feb 8, 2009
                                                        Bill

                                                        I don't remember seeing tong marks, but it's been a lot of years since we rebedded the portlights.

                                                        Hope to see you when we get back to Maine also.  We're still trying to decide what to do next summer.  Either we'll take Passport south slowly, checking out all the sites and store her somewhere south of cape Cod or we'll move a bit faster and take a bit more time and get back to the Chesapeake.

                                                        We'll keep you informed of when we decide to leave for Maine.

                                                        John
                                                        s/v Passport