Questions Re: Nic 32

  • wsmith@irmh.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
      Mitch:

      Thanks for your reply. I first saw your site many months ago when I
      got the bug to get back to sailing for the sake of my mental health,
      and started searching the internet for "boat stuff". I have read all
      of Michelle's logs, and enjoyed the trip! I never dreamed I would be
      talking to you about boats.

      I revisited Scimitar today, and still like her, Sghe has a Yanmar
      2QM (20 horse) with 550 on the hour meter and ?800 - 1000 off the
      meter, started right up, and sounds like a diesel. Adler Barbor
      refrigerator, no pressure water, no hot water. Not as much wood
      below as I see in the photos of Hetty Brace, but the mica is new. No
      opening ports (did you do yours?). Rigging wire looks OK, but the
      fittings are a mix of Staylock, Norseman (i think) and swaged.
      Piecemeal replacement, i guess. Wind generator, GPS, depth sounder.
      Lots of batteries. I expect to be told by the suveyor that she needs
      re-rigging and bottom work, but is sound. Sails are good, dodger is
      sevicable, I forgot to ask about the bimini, but didnt see it. There
      is a bimini frame.

      The teak side decks were laid by the current owner, there is still
      about 1/4 inch of teak, needs recaulking and light sanding, and a few
      bungs. They look pretty nice, actually.

      I will NOT be leaving on any extended cruises anytime in the near
      future. I will be mostly daysailing, leaving the Fort Pierce inlet
      and heading out into the ocean. So, since I can't be sailing in
      protected coastal / bay waters, I am looking for a solid boat. If I
      can fix her up over the next 5 years, there may be time then to "go".

      The nic 32 is the deepest draft vessel I have looked at, have you any
      experience or 2nd hand knowledge regarding what I can expect in the
      ICW?

      Where are you now? Tampa St. Pete area, right? Perhaps I could stop
      by meet you, I'm about 3 - 3.5 hours away.

      Web