Questions Re: Nic 32

  • wsmith@irmh.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
      Hello all.
      I am looking at a Camper & Nicholson 32 Mark VII. It has been
      repowered (Yanmar 2GM20, ?~1800 hours), has Adler Barb. refrig, looks
      to be in good shape below, hull blister free (per owner).

      I poked around, saw no evidence of leaking anywhere (in the rain, it
      seems always to be raining when I look at boats!).

      Teak side-decks are in very rough shape, screw heads showing all over
      the place. Owner tells me that the deck beelow the teak is solid
      glass. True? Have any of you dealt with this problem? How? What
      did it cost?

      I know that the chain-plate arrangement on the 32 is unique. Are
      there problems I should be aware of?

      I would greatly appreciate any comments about the 32 in general,
      answers to the questions re: decks and chainplates, and tips
      regarding assesment of this boat.

      I fell that this is a really great boat, and hope to soon join this
      group as a member.

      BTW, vessel name is Scimitar. Anyone know her?

      Thanks in advance for your time and assistance!

      Web Smith
      Vero Beach, Florida, USA
    • S/V Hetty Brace
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 4, 2001
        Hi Web -

        We've owned and cruised a Nic 32 Mk VI since 1995 - you would be hard
        pressed to find a better built, more sea-comfortable boat in the size range
        - or even bigger for that matter.

        First I would suggest contacting the Nic 32 Association - they have contacts
        at C&N and are usually able to get a very detailed history on the boat (you
        may need to be a member). We got copies of the complete build/launch
        checklist and various modifications made by Nicholson. I don't have the web
        address handy but there's a link on my site at www.hettybrace.com. On the
        Nic site, there's a link to email Oliver Roome - he may have info about that
        particular boat.

        I've never heard of a 32 with teak decks - possibly added at some point.
        The decks are solid glass - in fact the entire boat is solid glass with
        stringers run every 18 or so inches - very solid.

        The chainplates are unique but strong. I've never heard of one failing but
        some people have replaced them. Just check for rust/corrosion - if none,
        you're probably just fine. Ours are 34 years old and look great.

        In terms of hull blisters - it's the rare 32 that doesn't have them.
        Fortunately the hull is so thick that there's not a worry of loss of
        integrity. We have definitely had them and plan a bit of time for repairs
        into our haulouts. It's not the end of the world, by any means.

        We love our 32 - we've cruised with other larger boats that have a much
        rougher time of things when the wind and seas pipe up. She's quite
        comfortable. We have also jammed in an amazing amount of equipment and
        provisions - the storage, if you're a bit creative, is quite good.

        Best of luck with your decision. As for a Nic 32, I couldn't recommend them
        highly enough!

        Fair Winds!

        Mitch
        S/V Hetty Brace

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 5, 2001
          Mitch:

          Thanks for your reply. I first saw your site many months ago when I
          got the bug to get back to sailing for the sake of my mental health,
          and started searching the internet for "boat stuff". I have read all
          of Michelle's logs, and enjoyed the trip! I never dreamed I would be
          talking to you about boats.

          I revisited Scimitar today, and still like her, Sghe has a Yanmar
          2QM (20 horse) with 550 on the hour meter and ?800 - 1000 off the
          meter, started right up, and sounds like a diesel. Adler Barbor
          refrigerator, no pressure water, no hot water. Not as much wood
          below as I see in the photos of Hetty Brace, but the mica is new. No
          opening ports (did you do yours?). Rigging wire looks OK, but the
          fittings are a mix of Staylock, Norseman (i think) and swaged.
          Piecemeal replacement, i guess. Wind generator, GPS, depth sounder.
          Lots of batteries. I expect to be told by the suveyor that she needs
          re-rigging and bottom work, but is sound. Sails are good, dodger is
          sevicable, I forgot to ask about the bimini, but didnt see it. There
          is a bimini frame.

          The teak side decks were laid by the current owner, there is still
          about 1/4 inch of teak, needs recaulking and light sanding, and a few
          bungs. They look pretty nice, actually.

          I will NOT be leaving on any extended cruises anytime in the near
          future. I will be mostly daysailing, leaving the Fort Pierce inlet
          and heading out into the ocean. So, since I can't be sailing in
          protected coastal / bay waters, I am looking for a solid boat. If I
          can fix her up over the next 5 years, there may be time then to "go".

          The nic 32 is the deepest draft vessel I have looked at, have you any
          experience or 2nd hand knowledge regarding what I can expect in the
          ICW?

          Where are you now? Tampa St. Pete area, right? Perhaps I could stop
          by meet you, I'm about 3 - 3.5 hours away.

          Web